Numbness in hands on long bike rides...Bad form?

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 6/12/15 1:43 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Hello out there!, any cyclists? I've started riding my bike to work & sometimes I might ride for a little while longer b4 going home. However whenever I go on longer rides 1 hand would start getting a little numb & then the other a short time later. Usually I have to stop & shake out my hands to get the feeling back into them. Can this just be I hold the handlebars too tight or I'm too upright on the bike? Suggestions? 

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

billmacc7
on 6/12/15 3:29 pm - MA

I have ben cycling for a little bit. I too have had issues with numbness in my hands. I thought maybe it was from poor form. However, I have talked to some others and is generally common but can be alleviated with using gloves. good luck w/ it as I have gotten used to it and love to ride!

Yours in WLS Journey,

Bill Mac

NotTyraBanks
on 7/12/15 3:29 am

It's pretty common if you have a hybrid bike (most commuter bikes are). Straight handlebars on hybrid bikes only have a couple of hand positions. So, on long rides, you end up with numb hands. Doesn't have anything to do with weight, or circulation, or strength - the nerves in your arms and wrists are simply overloaded.

If it really bothers you, and you plan to take more long rides, you should look into getting a set of drop handlebars for your bike. Those have many different hand positions, so you can continually move your hands around as you ride.

Good luck!

Most Active