Need ideas for workout with injury

cheapskate
on 6/29/15 8:19 am
RNY on 03/30/15

I have been in a walking boot for 4 weeks with a couple to go. I need ideas for workouts, I feel like I am wasting my honeymoon stage

iloveravens
on 6/30/15 5:53 am
RNY on 08/13/14

My first thought is a rowing machine...and this might be a dumb question, but can you swim with it?  That would be a great aerobic exercise if so.  Do you have weights?  I'd do tricep and bicep moves - triceps can be done without weights if you just use a step and do tricep dips. You can also lay on your stomach and do hamstring curls and leg lifts.  Laying on your back and side for ab work and planks would be good too.

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

(deactivated member)
on 6/30/15 10:48 pm - Pompano Beach, FL

Why don't you opt for yoga???

LynnAlex
on 7/1/15 2:22 pm
RNY on 08/04/15

When my foot was booted, I did plenty of activities.  To swim outdoors, I would take the boot off at the beach and hop to the water, then swim, crawl to deeper water, then I would work on the arms.  I would use a swim buoy between my legs to keep my legs elevated and not have to kick too much.  I could bicycle on a stationary bike.  My injury was on the ball of the foot, so I moved the seat forward a bit and used my heels or the arch of foot to pedal.  I could also kayak, just needed someone to hold the kayak so I could get in and out.  I could not do endurance sports, as i had poor form, but I could get in a workout.  FYI, they eventually had to perform surgery to remove the smashed fibular seismoid bone under the ball of the foot---an injury caused by running in hills.

cabin111
on 7/2/15 6:16 pm

Could a bicycle work?  Below are a couple of exercise programs I found on YouTube...I'm sure there are more.  Don't know how good they are...Be creative...Lemonade out of lemons.  Just look around and try different words on YouTube.  You may want to look into elastic bands...You can get them at any sporting goods store (then look on Youtube for programs for their use).  Brian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOYaGBDO9vo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uoe8L_LvZbM&feature=youtu.be

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 7/11/15 4:30 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Keep up your muscle mass - perhaps machine based upper body/core/quad until you're back on you feet.  I know that a lot of people don't believe in machines and scream free weights - but injuries lower risk and you might want to use a trainer for awhile - a real trainer not just a kid in a trainer suit.

If you keep up your muscle mass and keep moving you.  I also found this video from Dr Weiner (not my surgeon but has a lot of good info). 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdJ2gFsyShw

I use a program called Super Slow - google it and there maybe a location near you.

It's cool that you wan t to get as much as possible from your surgery

Sharon

Most Active