When to stretch?

Gwen M.
on 10/22/15 7:58 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I'm working on revamping my fitness schedule and I've got a question. I currently stretch after I run, as one should. However, I'm going to start adding weight lifting to the days I run because a) I want to start lifting (again) and b) New Rules of Lifting suggests that studies have found doing lifting and cardio on the same day is best for weight loss if you're going to do both of those activities in your life.

So when do I stretch?

I'll run first thing, but do I stretch when I get home from running and before I lift? Or do I wait to stretch after I finish lifting? Or do I stretch both times?

I'm sort of thinking I can run, stretch, lift, and be okay.. but maybe I should run, stretch, lift, and then do some minimal targeted stretching based on that day's lifting?

I'm sure I'm making this more complicated than it needs to be..

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Gortzilla
on 10/22/15 8:35 am - Fremont, MI

I dont know if it is the correct way but i do a 10 min cardio warm up than stretch than weight train than cardio and stretch again on what i was training also it is hard to do cardio on leg days

docbad32
on 10/22/15 1:30 pm

I incorporate dynamic stretching into my warm up and static stretching into my cool down. If I were to do both running and lifiting I would probably keep the same warm up and then stretch lower body and trunk after running and upper body after lifting (depending on what kind of lifting you're doing). Unless you do a whole body stretching routine, then stick with a cooldown stretch after everythings over with. Keep in mind, this advice is probably only good if the time inbetween the two workouts is not very significant. if you find you need to warm up again because of the time between workouts, then you probably need to stretch twice. (I stretch as much as I can as I feel it makes recovery time shorter and overall soreness decrease)

VSG:  3/12/15

KittysarusRex
on 10/30/15 9:11 am

I do dynamic stretching unless I have problem areas, such as my shins, in which I make sure those are stretched out good before. My stretching after helps with soreness and preventing soreness.

Most Active