Exercise and fitness suggestions?

Ohiodietguy
on 1/11/16 5:11 pm

I would like to get some advice about exercise and fitness. I am riding a stationary bike about  50 minutes a day and trying to walk three or four times a week

also I have been strength training with 4 pound weights

I have spinal stenosis in my back and it is difficult for me to lift weights also unfortunately I have arthritis in both my knees 

One of my doctors recommended swimming but I do not have a swimming pool membership or a membership to the Y

I tried to jog for the first time and immediately my left knee started hurting about 20 years ago I was able to run  2half marathons

The cold weather and snow has not moved into our area and I cannot get out to walk

can anyone suggest ways that I could continue to increase my exercise with a variety of different exercises?

The gym at our church has an indoor area where you can walk inside so I might try to find time to get to the gym

after spending about three months on the bike I'm starting to get really bored with just riding the bike in the morning? Thanks!!

Starting Weight 337  Current Weight 178.4 BMI 22.3 

Dejah H.
on 1/12/16 6:42 am - Central, TX

I know riding a stationary bike can definitely get old... I agree with the swimming if you can get access to a pool. It is great exercise and won't hurt your joints. If you can walk indoors somewhere or go to a gym you could do the elliptical (also a very good workout that is low impact). Another suggestion since you like the stationary bike would be to try to find a spin class. That will keep the bike interesting and challenging. The only other thing I can think of would be to find a few exercise videos that you like and can do at home. 

Good luck!

289 / 273 / 163.4 / 164   10cc AP Standard  my band! 

Ohiodietguy
on 1/14/16 5:26 am

Thank you for the response and suggestions I appreciate it have a good day

billmacc7
on 1/12/16 1:57 pm - MA

Hi-Good for you for wanting to do more exercise!!

In light of your spinal  and knee issues you may want to consider low impact exercise. Just a suggestion that you seek support from your doctor office and/or local gym. A lot of programs are available if you seek some help in those areas

Best of luck....

Yours in WLS Journey,

Bill Mac

Ohiodietguy
on 1/14/16 5:27 am

Thank you for your response and suggestions I really appreciate it have a good day

cabin111
on 1/14/16 7:00 pm, edited 1/14/16 11:05 am

I used exercise fitness bands right after surgery...You can get them anywhere.  Don't pay too much for them...There are a ton out there...Get them anywhere.  You can try regular exercise videos on YouTube also.  They have low impact exercise videos there too.  Here are 2 examples of an exercise band workouts on youtube...Just and idea.  There are a ton of band videos there also...Brian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkq0-jvz1Dc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLNaG45ZiiA

Ohiodietguy
on 1/14/16 7:07 pm

Thanks! that sounds like a good idea!

Most Active