Starting

Kprice1980
on 3/28/16 1:57 pm
Mini Gastric Bypass on 04/13/16

I started my day with a jog and walk I've decided before surgery I would start my exercising. What can I expect after Sergury ?how long did it take for the body to heal so you could get back to working out?

dog_hair_dinner
on 3/29/16 9:45 am
RNY on 03/01/16

I was not able to jog before surgery. I would walk 3 - 3.5 kilometers a day.  Immediately after surgery, walking was limited to about 10 minutes every few hours due to fatigue and pain management issues.  At day three, I was able to do a little under a kilometre per day.  It took me about half an hour to do that.  A week later, I was doing 1.5 kilometers a day.  I am 4 weeks out now and doing 3km a day.  So I'm back to my pre-surgery walking abilities.  

I would say that my recovery was very quick.  No complications.  I walk out of choice and for fun, not for any weight loss goal.  Food is my main focus in that respect.  The hospital says to walk as much as you can, but for general health, only 30 minutes a day of walking is really necessary for good health.

Pre-surgery, I was doing weight lifting with a trainer three days a week for an hour.  I have to get a surgeon's note 6 weeks out to be allowed to resume that activity.

Kprice1980
on 3/29/16 4:32 pm

Wow well I wish you luck I'm to excited about my surgery scared about the pain but ready to get this journey started?

dog_hair_dinner
on 3/31/16 1:33 pm
RNY on 03/01/16

The pain was only really bad for me when I didn't take one of my scheduled doses of Dilaudid, under the suggestion of a nurse, which I regret.  Other than that, the pain was manageable with what the hospital gave me.  I would advise you to be vocal about when you are in pain and be your own advocate for when you feel you need pain medication.

The worst of the pain for me was the first 24 hours, then it was manageable with Tylenol.

I had no pain around the incision area.  I had gas pain and discomfort in my insides.

If I had to do this all over again, I would not be as afraid of the pain as I was before the surgery.

Everyone is different, but it may work out for you that the pain won't be as bad as you are imagining.

Kprice1980
on 4/14/16 3:36 pm

Surgery went well and yes I take meds before the pain I walked right away and I keep walking I get up every hour walk as much as I can I feel great can't wait to get home 

docbad32
on 3/30/16 5:50 am

I was cleared to do basically anything I felt like at 4 weeks.  I would say to listen to your body and start slowly.  Lots more things more important than working out in those first few months.

VSG:  3/12/15

0jrsmith4
on 4/5/16 4:33 am
VSG on 01/21/16

I'd say 3 weeks to jogging. 2 months to gym

Most Active