Working out but not losing

Tink3125
on 5/3/16 6:24 am
VSG on 12/01/15

I started working out 4 days a week with a trainer doing cross training. I am not seeing the scale move at all. Starting to get frustrated but I am feeling stronger than I was 3 weeks ago. How long does it take to start seeing the pounds come off. I am at 5 months post op from the sleeve surgery.

(deactivated member)
on 5/3/16 10:11 am - GA

Hello and great question. First, let's look at all the positives.

1. You are training 4 times a week which is amazing. Cross training is not an easy program so way to go.
  2. You feel stronger which helps you in your everyday functions
  3. You took the initiative to hire a trainer so you are serious about reaching your goals
  4. You are concerned and motivated  and want to see results which is of course why you posted this in the forum.

Here are a couple of things to consider:

1. Watch my youtube video : Hired a Personal Trainer and Not Getting Results. This will be very helpful for you:
  2. Are you doing everything the personal trainer ask (everything)? Regardless if its hard or makes sense to you.
  3. Have you discussed your concerns with your trainer? Maybe they can make adjustments to your program or maybe you are right on schedule according to their plan?
  4. What are you doing the other 3 days you are not with the trainer? Have they given you exercises to do on those days and are you doing them?
  5. Are you putting forth 110% effort in your training session?
  6. Are you drinking the proper amount of water and getting proper amount of rest?
  7. Are you eating properly?
  8. Have you lost a significant amount of inches although the scale hasn't move? Hopefully you have taken your measurements. If not have the trainer take them and compare in a couple of weeks. Inches lost is just as good as weight loss.
  9. You maybe building muscle and the weight loss will come soon?
  10. Did you research your trainer before you hired them to see other successes they have?

These are just some things to consider. 3 weeks of training is not a long time so hopefully you will see results soon. If you have any other concerns of questions please don't hesitate to send me a message and I will do all I can to help. Yes, I am a certified personal trainer with 15 years experience.

Tink3125
on 5/3/16 10:56 am
VSG on 12/01/15

Thank you so much for the feedback! Oh I am pumped about what I have accomplished and what I am doing now. When I had my sleeve done on 11/30/15 I never in a million years thought I would be doing cross fit training or boot camp type training. I've lost 85 lbs so far post surgery before starting the training.

I do everything that is on the schedule for the day. Some things are modified due to knee replacements I've had which limit me getting down on the floor. They have been surprised at my effort and ability to actually do the things I have done. On the other days, I do walking. Walking all the hills in my neighborhood not just flat leisurely walking but I walk as fast as I can.

I do probably need to up my water intake.

They did take measurements when I started but we've not measured since then, only weighed. I kindof figure that my body is in shock at this point since I went from being a coach potato, very sedentary to work out freak.

I will keep on working out and hope the weight loss will come soon.

Thank you again for your feedback!

Tink

(deactivated member)
on 5/10/16 6:04 pm - GA

Great, glad you are pumped about what you have done. Losing 85 pounds is an amazing feet. Keep up the good work. Yes, increase your water intake. Continue with your consistency and determination and keep us updated. Good day. 

(deactivated member)
on 5/3/16 10:53 am

Did you take any body measurements?  You'd probably notice a difference in them if you would.  I personally only weigh myself once a week because I lift a lot of weights and do cycling.  I have built muscle but I have also burnt a lot of fat and lost several clothing sizes, yet my weight hasn't changed that much in the past year.  

Also, are you nutritional values matching the activity?  Make sure you get enough macronutrients to go with the exercise.

NorthernStar
on 5/3/16 12:35 pm - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

Exercise is just not going to produce the results on the scale that you want to see. You hear so often that weight loss is 80% diet, 20% exercise but I think it is more like 99% diet.

Be careful you are not eating back the calories you're burning. People tend to grossly overestimate what they have burned and sneak in extra treats.

Don't get me wrong - exercise is great. It can help to change your body composition & shape, make you feel better, help maintain muscle mass - but it just won't do much for you in the way of fat loss. If the scale isn't moving, you need to reevaluate your diet.

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

dog_hair_dinner
on 5/5/16 5:49 am
RNY on 03/01/16

>  People tend to grossly overestimate what they have burned and sneak in extra treats.

or also feel they need to eat more to fuel the workouts.  eating more will definitely help you to perform better, but it is not effective for weight loss

Laura in Texas
on 5/5/16 10:52 am

Well said. Too many people think exercise gives them permission to eat more.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

docbad32
on 5/4/16 6:24 am

Easiest thing to do is to stop thinking about exercise as a weightloss tool.  Start thinking of it as a health tool.  It will make you feel better, stronger, healthier.  It will set you up to have better success with your diet and nutrition goals, but do little to change the scale.  Take me, for example.  This week I will run 34 miles in about 7 hours of work.  I will burn about 5000-6000 calories, if my HRM is even close to accurate.  All that work to burn less than 2 pounds.  Or, I could eat 100 calories less a day, sit on my boney ass, and get the same caloric deficit. 

I run because it makes me happy.  Not because it helps with my weightloss. 

VSG:  3/12/15

Shel25
on 5/4/16 8:02 am

I don't remember the reason why, but working the muscles can cause you to retain water.  An inflammatory response? I don't really remember but I know that for myself that if I work a bunch with weights and am literally sore all over the next day, my scale will also be up.  Your body might be rebalancing its water.  No worries....it is jus****er!  

Another thing: back when I would run 1/2 marathons and long distance cycle when I was just overweight (and before WLS,) I never, EVER lost weight.  If anything, I gained weight.  There's lots of science to back up the reasons that exercise doesn't move the scale down.  

I still exercise, partly for health, but mostly because I love feeling strong and able. 

If weight continues not to move down and you want it to, you will need to relook at diet. 

Enjoy the feeling of strength.  Puzzling out the weight loss piece is part of the process. Frustrating, for sure, but doable.

Shel

HW:361 SW:304 (VSG 12/04/2014)Mo 1:-32  Mo 2:-13.5  Mo 3: -13.5  Mo 4 -9.5  Mo 5: -15  Mo 6: -15  Mo 7: -13.5  Mo 8: -17  Mo 9: -13  Mo 10: -12.5  11/3/2015 Healthy BMI Reached Mo 11: -9  Mo 12: -8    12/27/2015 Goal Weight Reached!

Most Active