Exercise Intolerance

tattitude
on 5/11/16 1:52 am

I have tried twice now to start exercising by walking.  First time I developed shin splints and severe pain in both knees and had to stop and have 4 weeks of physical therapy.  Second time, I did a walk for charity and ever since that evening I have been debilitated with crazy lower back pain and spasms.  I can't even stand for more than a few minutes at a time.

I am pre-op, still in process of hoop jumping to get surgery scheduled.  I desperately need to lose some weight to lighten the load on my joints and lower back but haven't been successful on my own.  Recently, I have been having a flare-up of my asthma symptoms (wheezing, coughing, shortness of breath with minimal activity) too.  All this combined pretty much nixes any exertion including water aerobics.

My question is:  Is it okay to wait to start exercising until after I have lost some of the weight?

Ticker 87883

Height:  5' 8"  Initial Consultation:  10/6/2015  HW:  286.5   CW:  277

(deactivated member)
on 5/11/16 6:11 am - GA

Hello first you are to be applauded on your 2 attempts to start exercising. There are several things I would like for you to consider.

1. If you decide to walk be sure you are warming up first. Many times people figure they already walk every day so what's the need to warm up. However, when you walk to lose weight usually you push your body more than normal everyday casual walking. You should warm up your ankles, back, knees, hamstrings and quads. Additionally, you should also stretch these muscles after the warm-up not before. Me explaining how to warm up would be extensive for this forum so google it preferably but you could message me for further information.
  2. Consider beginning with a chair exercise program such as Chair-A-Cise which is geared toward weight loss not just to keep you active. Chair exercising will prepare your back, knees, ankles, etc. for standing exercising such as walking by getting your joints use to exercising.
  3. Get a exercise program/personal trainer which provides structure and safety. Going on your own is not the best use of time and effort therefore prolonging results which can be frustrating.
  4. Do an exercise program now which is safe, simple and doable which will help you lose weight properly instead of waiting to lose weight before beginning exercising. Hope this helps.
Deanna798
on 5/11/16 9:10 am
RNY on 08/04/15

My starting high weight was very similar to yours.  Exercise is so important for health, but not as important for weight loss.  You are obviously having issues, so for me personally, i would tone it down.  Maybe find a place for water aerobics that will put less stress on your body.  I remember I was 280 just a year ago and i couldn't walk for more than 30 minutes casually shopping without having to sit and rest.  As you know, the stress on your body is just so much at that weight.

Honestly, I didn't do much actual exercise until about 6 months post op.  It was too cold to walk here during the winter and I couldn't motivate myself to get to a gym for a while.  I lost 110lbs with just diet.  That made it easier to start working out.  

I'm 9 months post op now, I've lost 122 lbs and I am working out seriously.  I have run a couple 5k's and am "considering" training for a half marathon, though I think i might actually be a little crazy.

I'm no expert, but I think it's okay to wait, especially with a bunch of injuries.  But like the previous poster said, you CAN do some exercise that won't stress your body before you lose a significant amount of weight.

Good luck. I hope everything works out for you.

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

tattitude
on 5/27/16 3:36 pm

We do, however, have quite a difference in height.  I am 5' 8" tall.  Many people are shocked when I tell them how much I weigh or they say I don't look like I need to lose that much weight so apparently I carry it well but my body is suffering for it.

hollykim
on 5/11/16 11:58 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On May 11, 2016 at 8:52 AM Pacific Time, tattitude wrote:

I have tried twice now to start exercising by walking.  First time I developed shin splints and severe pain in both knees and had to stop and have 4 weeks of physical therapy.  Second time, I did a walk for charity and ever since that evening I have been debilitated with crazy lower back pain and spasms.  I can't even stand for more than a few minutes at a time.

I am pre-op, still in process of hoop jumping to get surgery scheduled.  I desperately need to lose some weight to lighten the load on my joints and lower back but haven't been successful on my own.  Recently, I have been having a flare-up of my asthma symptoms (wheezing, coughing, shortness of breath with minimal activity) too.  All this combined pretty much nixes any exertion including water aerobics.

My question is:  Is it okay to wait to start exercising until after I have lost some of the weight?

yea. I have lost 122# and kept it off for six months with no erercise

Gwen M.
on 5/27/16 1:19 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I recommend looking to your shoes.  It might be wise to see a podiatrist and find out if you need shoe inserts to correct any issues.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Laura in Texas
on 5/29/16 6:17 am

I agree with Gwen. It may be your shoes. You can go to an athletic shoe store and they can watch your gait and tell you the best show for you (a podiatrist could also tell you if you need inserts).

Exercise is great for overall health, especially your heart. I was 200 pounds pre-op and exercise was painful for me, too. Honestly I did no exercise until I was 7 months out and had lost 100 pounds. After I reached goal, I quit for several years (I realized I could maintain my weight without exercise). Now I realize I need it for my mental and physical health so staying active is a priority for me.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Most Active