Gym or no Gym..that is the question

MelodyMay
on 5/13/16 1:10 pm
RNY on 03/01/16

I thought that making myself a little personal Gym at home would be great. I don't have to worry about people looking at me and I can jump off and shower in my own bathroom, but what I have come to realize is, I lack motivation in my home. I am too comfortable. I always find an excuse or a reason to cut my workout short, if I have one at all.

So, since I have come to this stall, I have come up with an idea. My sister is also on a WL journey and is my accountabilitibuddy. She has a Planet Fitness literally across the street from her home and it seems like it mocks me when I drive by. Why don't we get a membership? It's only $20 a month and it includes tanning! It seems like a steal. It would force me outside of my bubble, my sister would be there for encouragement and I'm sure I'd be more motivated to go if I am paying $$ for the time. I would get to sit with a trainer and discuss the best exercises for me and would have another person to be accountable too...

To me, it seems like the perfect solution but I don't want to get trapped in the "I pay for a gym membership I never use" scenario..

Did the gym work better for you? Any suggestions?

Melody

HW: 394 SW: 359 GW: 187

Laura in Texas
on 5/15/16 7:34 am

It sounds like the gym will be a good option for you. The gym worked for me for a while, but then life got in the way. What has helped me tremendously is my fitbit. It helps me realize when I am not being active. If you do not have a fitness tracker, I highly recommend getting one.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

MelodyMay
on 5/16/16 11:46 am
RNY on 03/01/16

I have one and I LOVE it! Can't seem to get to 10,000 steps a day yet...but I will! 

Melody

Ohiodietguy
on 5/15/16 6:04 pm

I joined planet fitness and go 3-4 x per week. I think I will really need the gym from Oct- April because of winter and daylight savings 

Starting Weight 337  Current Weight 178.4 BMI 22.3 

docbad32
on 5/16/16 7:03 am

I cannot workout at home.  Can't get started, can't maintain.  I have to leave the house to get anything done.  If I don't get out of the house, I end up watching TV, doing chores, etc.  I don't go to the gym because I run for exercise, but If I did anything else, it would have to be at the gym.

VSG:  3/12/15

MelodyMay
on 5/16/16 11:48 am
RNY on 03/01/16

Exactly! I can always find something around the house that needs to be done or a show I wanted to watch. I need to get up and out of this place. 

Melody

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 5/16/16 1:51 pm - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

I absolutely LOVEEEEE to work out. I love everything about it, as far as going to a gym. When I'm in a mode of losing weight and seeing results I cannot get enough of the gym.

However, I have tried to work out at home ever since college and just cannot do it. My wife has asked multiple times if we can outfit our garage as a gym and I've said no... I just cant do it. I cant even get into a good workout at a hotel gym. I need the full experience. I need people to compare myself to in my mind. I need other guys that are lifting in good form to watch and learn new things from. I need to push myself in an environment where people are watching me and expecting that.

I cannot do that at home.. Like you said, I'd find every excuse to not do it. When I'm in a gym, I have only one goal and that is to crush the weights. lol

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

(deactivated member)
on 5/17/16 4:42 am

The gym is my saving grace and I also go to classes which force you to step out of your comfort zone and engage with others.  It feels weird at first and it feels like people are staring at you...but you just stare right back, give them the evil eye, and rock it out.  That's what I do.  Paying for exercise is a motivator because you are literally paying out of your pocket, it feels good when you leave because you are all hyped up, and it's overcoming so many social and physical things I know myself I avoided for so long.  I say go to the gym and embrace it!  Just one bit of advice...I know you have workout accountability person and all but don't necessarily depend on them because if you start this experience with that in mind, if they poop out, you might, too.  Go for you, stay for you, work hard for you and be the example for her!

ROBCTCPA
on 5/17/16 5:14 pm
WLS on 05/18/16

I think a gym membership but with a workout buddy is the best solution. Most people need a person to keep them on track.    I first hated going to the gym and felt the same way as you, people are looking at me and showering in your own home.  Then I realized, 2 things, 1) We are all here for the same thing, to stay healthy 2) These other people don't mean anything to me.  I am there for me and I need to make the gym part of my daily routine.  I personally go 5-7 days a week.  My old saying was, why did we invent cars if we were supposed to walk places.  Now I park away from the front of the mall and walk.  Pay the money and also have that motivate you to go to the gym, don't waste the money by not going.  It's none of my business but ...... skip the tanning, that is really bad for you

SkinnyScientist
on 5/18/16 1:01 pm

I didnt have the space for a home gym so I am jealous.

There are so many plus's to a real gym outside the home

1) social outlet (meet new people)

2) An escape (e.g. I dont like my job, cats, or family much right now...I am going to the gym!)

3) It NEVER gets boring (dont want to run, lift or take new exercise classes, try GRIT, Piloxing, Body combat, kickbox, boot camp. My gym does attainable challenges. Sometimes I "win" and get the points...sometimes I dont. This month I had an epic fail with hamstring flexibility. It taught me I need to work on my flexibility as hard as my skating and running. It wasnt a crushing, ego defeating defeat though)

4) You will meet like minded people (it is easier to stay on a diet/go to the gym/be healthy when such a lifestyle is as important to the people around you as it is to you)

5) It builds confidence (at first you dont know what you are doing, then you get better at it, and usually within a year someone typically asks you how to do the exercise that you initially didnt know how to do well. This implies that you are a pro and look like you know what you are doing)

6) Free stuff-if you win challenges or if the gym gives points that can be saved and used for merchandize later. My gym also has given out samples of vitamins, face goo, breakfast bars, protein shakes in the past. There is a monthly new member smoothie social. I am not new, but I go for the smoothie made by someone else!

7) You will look hot!

8) You might be inspired. I was...and I became a certified Tae bo instructor. Have yet to have my own class, but I did Tae Bo for 6 hours and I MADE IT damn it!

9) You will inspire others- I used to be the 300 lb person in teh back of the class that didnt want to be noticed and was afraid. Now I am in the front. When I see a bigger person "hiding" I introduce myself, be friendly, and point out something they did RIGHT in class. For example, a lot of MO people are super strong. When I see a MO person in body pump, and they are liftng more than me, I tell them right to their face that I noticed that they are really strong and I am impressed. Or note their squat form is really good. I also share "my story" about how WLS and the gym have helped me get my life back. I dont do this all at once. Just over time.  ONe gal has really nice leggings all the time. I wish I knew where she got them...

10) It will encourage you to try new challenges outside of life. A little bit of gym success seems to give me courage to try to tackle the bigger things outside of the gym. Success begets success.

I would do it.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Most Active