For those who have run a half marathon or marathon...

(deactivated member)
on 6/2/16 8:13 pm
RNY on 12/15/15

I am currently taking a learn to run with the running room and I LOVE IT!!! At first I was planning to finish the program and then decide if I want to run a 10k, half and then a marathon but pffff I already know that I love it and want to try at least a half one day, but probably a full marathon.

I had gastric bypass surgery 5.5 months ago and am still losing. HW 359, CW 264, no goal weight and I'm 6'.

What I am noticing when I research is a lot of people say that when you run/train for long distances (a half or more) that it is really hard to lose weight as you are a lot hungrier and need to eat more to aid in training. (not true with everyone but apparently with a lot of people) That's for a person with a normal stomach though. I don't get hunger signals and I have had surgery so I'm not sure if it's different for me?

Has anyone started training for a long distance when still in the weight loss mode and continued to lose weight? Any insight and experiences would be greatly appreciated!

ps my learn to run goes until the end of July and than I was going to do 10k training  for November and than half etc. So nice and slow!

Bonroxie19
on 6/3/16 6:54 pm

Hi there 

I had surgery last February.  I did a half in May and a second in October of last year.  I lost weight thru out my training and never felt the need to eat more.  I also ran before my surgery and used to think hey I ran 9 miles I can eat what I want.  I no longer think like that.   I am training for another 1/2 has I write this.   So in short you can train and not have to eat more. And remember to add strength training to your routine. 

Good luck. 

Bonnie RNY 2/11/15 by Dr. Takahaski

5'3" SW 230 pounds, GW per Dr. Takahaski 150 pounds, CW 132 pounds (10/1/17)

BMI 19% Bod Pod test 1/29/17 13.1 mile half marathon, 1 hour 59 mins (8/21/2017)

swim_bike_smile
on 6/10/16 8:17 am
RNY on 06/13/16

So, I can't give you any advice from the post-op perspective, but I can tell you that this happened to me pre-op.  I was still MO and doing Olympic distance triathlons, a half marathon, participating on a rowing team, etc.  I lost 70lbs and then just.... stopped losing.   Then again, I was not tracking calories because "hey, I just did a 3 hour bike ride... I can eat a whole pizza"   So, just be mindful that you can't out-run your fork.  I think I just got into the mindset that I could eat whatever I wanted because I was working out 15+ hours per week.  

What I can tell you is that it helps you make a lot of healthy lifestyle friends to participate in these sorts of things, so keep at it! :)  You'll meet a lot of like-minded people, and that's worth it to me personally.

(deactivated member)
on 6/12/16 1:42 pm
RNY on 12/15/15

Thanks to both of you for your responses!! I think doing all this research has made me become aware that I shouldn't get into the habit of eating lots of junk simply because I have burned a lot of calories, BUT I have noticed in the past two weeks that running makes me hungry. These are the first hunger cues I have had since surgery so I am just sort of monitoring it and making sure I eat the right foods after exercise.

I am very motivated to run each week and instinct tells me to ride that motivation and keep challenging myself with longer races, but I also know that the first year is a lot easier to lose weight and I really don't want to mess with that opportunity.

I think I will go for 5k in August and then train for the 10k in Nov and see where my weight loss stands before the next step.

Most Active