Endurance sports

swim_bike_smile
on 6/10/16 8:09 am
RNY on 06/13/16

So, I really like to do endurance events, and I know that I am going to have to fuel myself differently after surgery.  Now, I just pop a GU or shot block and am on my merry way.  

How soon after surgery were you able to get back into sports, and how do you fuel yourself now?  Do you find yourself weary?

highlandbear
on 6/11/16 7:54 pm - Canada

before the surgery I was a swimmer and I know it was after  3 months before they let me swim. You need to talk to the doctor to see what he thinks is best.  It  has taken me almost 5 years to find what I can use on my long runs and races. I also know just because I am fine with it now does not mean I will be OK with it in the future. You have to test it out and when you do make sure there are washrooms around.  Good luck it is a journey finding out what you can handle 

docbad32
on 6/13/16 6:13 am

I was cleared to do anything I felt comfortable doing at 4 weeks.  Didn't start running until 6 weeks.  Haven't stopped yet.  Fueling for me is tricky.  Up til now I've been using GU, bananas, a peanut butter sandwich, cliff bars, you name it.  The problem comes with eating fast.  I can't, so it takes forever to eat a protein bar or sandwich, which is the last thing I want to happen in a race.  Also washing things down with water can be an issue since there ain't a whole lot of room to begin with.  So for now, I stick to GU and nut butter, and the experimentation continues. 

VSG:  3/12/15

Ohiodietguy
on 6/20/16 6:45 pm

Looks like one serving of GU gel  has 22 g of carbs and no protein ?  Does This is cause you to have dumping syndrome ? I ran 13 miles on Saturday and ate a protein bar the half-point but I'm very concerned about eating anything with 22 carbs in it? 

Starting Weight 337  Current Weight 178.4 BMI 22.3 

docbad32
on 6/20/16 7:49 pm
On June 21, 2016 at 1:45 AM Pacific Time, Ohiodietguy wrote:

Looks like one serving of GU gel  has 22 g of carbs and no protein ?  Does This is cause you to have dumping syndrome ? I ran 13 miles on Saturday and ate a protein bar the half-point but I'm very concerned about eating anything with 22 carbs in it? 

I don't dump. And yeah it's a lot of carbs, but it's a balance thing. I did this so I could live my life and right now that includes running an absurd amount of miles. To do that, I have to eat carbs. Fruit would be ideal, but I can't carry fruit for 3 hours and have it be edible. It's just a personal choice that you'll have to make. Can I do without, maybe. But I feel better with. And there's no temptation of eating to much GU. That ****s nasty. 

VSG:  3/12/15

Ohiodietguy
on 6/20/16 6:47 pm

Just curious about GU ?  Does it cause dumping problems ?  It looks like in one serving this 22 carbs & no protein ?

Starting Weight 337  Current Weight 178.4 BMI 22.3 

Ohiodietguy
on 6/20/16 6:48 pm
Ohiodietguy
on 6/20/16 6:49 pm
Most Active