I need some diet help my friends.

Theduffman27
on 7/7/16 10:20 am
VSG on 11/19/14

I exercise 5-7 times a week for a minimum of 90 minutes. Gym sessions are split between cardio and weights. Issue I am facing is hunger. I am hungry and it is leading me to graze. I am trying to nip in the bud now. my normal day looks as follows.

7 am -Breakfast - Quest Bar

10 am -Morning snack - Danon light and fit yogurt & 25 peanuts

12 pm - Lunch - Protein rich usually under 350 calories.

2 pm - Afternoon Snack - Cheese stick.

5:30 pm - protein bar or shake

6 to 7:30 - Gym

8 pm - I graze while I am getting supper ready.

I am really hungry  from Gym time until I get home and then it seems I start and am not able to stop. I take in 1200 - 1500 calories per day. Bodybuilder/trainer friend tells me I should be at or around 1900 calories per day. I am resisting.

Anything stick out that I could do different?

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 7/8/16 8:21 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

are you gaining from it?

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

Theduffman27
on 7/8/16 11:35 am
VSG on 11/19/14

I have gained slightly, I think it is because I introduced more carbs as well....I am having a hard time cutting the grazing.....

(deactivated member)
on 7/8/16 9:56 am

One of the vets told me to drink something before eating. Sometimes we are thirsty and our bodies tricks us to think we are hungry. I always make myself a cup of coffee or something while cooking. 

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 7/8/16 4:47 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Sheesh, no wonder you're hungry! Yogurt, shakes, protein bars & some peanuts? I'd be hungry too without the workouts added in. I'd ditch them & go for dense protein instead. The shakes, bars etc I use them as extra, or to bump up my protein goals, not in place of.

I'd suggest that b4 your workout at the gym, eat dense protein, not bars or a shake, it'll leave you feeling fuller longer & you'll be able to power your way thru your workouts & do the same thing after your workout, it'll help with the grazing.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

kyzze
on 7/8/16 9:12 pm
VSG on 12/29/15 with

You are eating way too light, for all of the working out you are doing. You need to eat some real food not all of those protein bars and shakes. For breakfast instead of protein bar have some eggs with veggies or some chicken or steak or something to sustain you. If you eat more protein rich food, then you probably won't have the urge to graze.

Kyzze

courtzi
on 7/9/16 5:48 am - SCHUYLKILL HAVEN , PA

I think you need more protein. What kind or shakes and bars are you eating. 

Theduffman27
on 7/11/16 10:45 am
VSG on 11/19/14

I prefer the quest bars.

KCJTeller
on 7/9/16 9:35 am

Great job on exercising 5-7 times a week! As someone who exercises along the same schedule, I know that can get exhausting. 

My initial thoughts are in line with your bodybuilding friend who is telling you that you need to eat more.  If you are exercising as much as you say you are, you need to fuel the body to be able to keep up with your activity level.

If you are bodybuilding, you need to eat much more protein (not protein bars but legit protein like eggs, meats, fish, etc) to fuel the protein synthesis and build the muscle.  This is good because it allows you to eat more calories and eat more frequently (and hopefully reduce your need to graze).  You will gain weight, but it will be muscle weight.  The more muscle you have, the more calories you burn at rest.

I know that eating more calories sounds counter-intuitive to weight loss, but if you choose the right foods, then you can maximize muscle growth without gaining fat. Bodybuilding.com is a great resource for articles regarding nutrition.  There is one called "24 laws of eating for muscle" (http://www.bodybuilding.com/content/24-laws-of-eating-for-mu scle.html) that has some interesting information to get you started.

I recommend you also sit down with a personal trainer (or your bodybuilding buddies) and discuss your workout goals.  Being physically active is great, and I applaud you for going to the gym so religiously.  But discussing your goals with a fitness professional (or your knowledgeable gym bros) can help you make tiny tweaks to your exercise program that could make all the difference.  

One last word of advice is that you talk to a registered dietitian (R.D.).  Usually, the bariatric center either has a associated R.D. or can refer you out to one.  Write out your exercise program and discuss it with your R.D.  They can help you figure out what type of caloric intake you need to have to continue weight loss while still fueling the body for the activities you want to participate in.

I wish you the best of luck in your journey.

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/11/16 12:28 pm

quest bars are not real food. they are glorified candy bars. 

when I was eating them - (a long time ago) they raised my BS and caused Rh and cravings...  Theoretically very good numbers - but they are loaded with carbs. The so caller "fiber" are so heavily processed that they may break down into simple sugars faster in us than in "normal population. But even in "normal population" most good dietitians and docs - will advice diabetic patients to treat any carbs as carbs...no matter if the company that makes the treat calls them 'fiber" or carbs... 

when I was eating quest bars - I was gaining weight... when I stop eating them - not only i lost the 7 lbs I gained - but I was less hungry....

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active