New and need help

candoitnow
on 10/30/16 1:45 pm

Hi,

My husband and I want to start an exercise program that includes strength training ( I guess you call it ) and aerobic training. We will be doing this at a gym on machines and the recumbent bike. We both have back and knee issues .

The personal trainers mostly want to give you info on body building . We have been told do 1 set of 12 reps twice a week to 3 sets of 15 reps 3 times a week . Also on the aerobic part , 30 mins a day everyday to just 3 times a week.

We hate exercise . That being said we are committed to changing our lifestyle.

What we want is the least amount of time to stay healthy , a routine to do for the rest of our life but we don't want to be gym rats.

If someone would tell us how long to spend a week at the gym and break it up into how much time on weights and how much time on the bike it will be much appreciated.

It is going to be hard to put the time to it but know it will be worth it.

Thank you,

Lynn

docbad32
on 10/31/16 5:54 am

The best exercise is one you enjoy.  No amount of gym time will work if you hate going because eventually you'll stop.  Experiment with lots of workout routines and types of exercises, then stick to the ones you like.  I hate lifting weights, so I don't do it.  I love to run, so I do that.

VSG:  3/12/15

candoitnow
on 10/31/16 6:59 am

Thank you for your reply. I feel we need both though and I really would appreciate anyone who has a routine that uses both but the minimum needed to stay healthy.

highlandbear
on 10/31/16 7:09 pm - Canada

You truly have to like it to stay with it. Do you like swimming.  if you do that might work out better for you. try doing some classes you might enjoy them better. most gyms offer classe****ti and tabata are very good classes to look into. a lot of people like zumba. if the instructor is good they can show you different moves that you can do if you can't do what they are doing. good luck 

candoitnow
on 11/1/16 12:44 pm

Thank you for your suggestions

Gwen M.
on 11/1/16 7:41 am
VSG on 03/13/14

The best exercise is one you'll enjoy.  If you go into this with the "We hate exercise" mentality, you will soon give up and stop going.  Since you hate it.  

Try figuring out what you will enjoy.  Maybe yoga and pilates are things that would be fun, or a BodyCombat class, maybe you'd rather do walks.  Maybe CrossFit would float your boat since there are metrics and fun things to throw around.  Experiment!  Try something for a month before you give up.  

That all said, find a trainer who is not only aware of body building.  An ACE certified personal trainer SHOULD be clued in tot he fact that different people have different goals and able to work with you to develop a plan that will help you reach your goals.  

That all said, to answer the question you actually asked, here are the activity guidelines for adults:  

Avoid Inactivity
Some physical activity is better than none -- and any amount has health benefits.

Do Aerobic Activity
For substantial health benefits, do one of the following:

• 150 minutes (2 hours and 30 minutes) each week of moderate-intensity aerobic physical activity (such as brisk walking or tennis)
  • 75 minutes (1 hour and 15 minutes) each week of vigorous-intensity aerobic physical activity (such as jogging or swimming laps)
  • An equivalent combination of moderate- and vigorous-intensity aerobic physical activity

Do aerobic physical activity in episodes of at least 10 minutes and, if possible, spread it out through the week.

For even greater health benefits, do one of the following:

• Increase moderate-intensity aerobic physical activity to 300 minutes (5 hours) each week
  • Increase vigorous-intensity aerobic physical activity for 150 minutes (2 hours and 30 minutes) each week

Doing more will lead to even greater health benefits.

Strengthen Muscles
Do muscle-strengthening activities (such as lifting weights or using resistance bands) that are moderate or high intensity and involve all major muscle groups on 2 or more days a week.  [Specific time for this will depend on how long it takes you to work your major muscle groups.]

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

candoitnow
on 11/1/16 12:58 pm

Thank you so much for your information. I hate to be dense but if I work all major muscle groups twice a week is that a good goal for staying healthy ? As I said before I've heard twice to three times a week. Also if I'm using machines do you know the reps , sets to do ? I haven't had luck with asking trainers they all have different opinions . I want to do the minimum but I really do want to do enough but not a rep , set over. Exercise I will be doing for health only as I would rather be sitting on the porch reading.

Gwen M.
on 11/1/16 5:18 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

The guidelines I posted are sufficient for health.  Beyond that?  I can't really help you with "what's the minimum I need to do to pass" because it'll depend on what intensity is enough for you.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

missc_26
on 11/1/16 3:43 pm
VSG on 10/03/16

Going to the gym to hit your cardio goals is great too. Can I suggest something for home as well? Google DDP Yoga, it's "not ya mama's yoga" which has basic calisthenics  (using your own body weight to burn fat, build muscle and strengthen) and it doesn't feel like a chore to do.  

It starts with a beginners beginners and you can do 15 + mins a day in your own home at your own pace, nothing special required jus****ch it as a dvd or I think they even have an app.

I know it sounds like you dont particularly enjoy exercise at the moment, but I agree with everyone here, you have to find something you do enjoy and go from there. Telling yourself you "have" to do exercise vs "wanting" to be active is a big difference.  In the same way telling yourself you "have" to stick to that rigid diet in the long run didn't work.

Good luck and I think it's awesome you are looking at your options with exercise and hope you will keep trying until you find something that works for you both.

candoitnow
on 11/1/16 4:17 pm

Thank you for your info. I will look at the yoga but it has been hard finding something  my husband and I can both do.

My main complaint is the time you need to invest which is why I have been trying to get someone to say do weights this amount of time a week , this many reps ,this many sets and do aerobics this amount of time a week. I need to adjust my schedule and want something workable that we can do for life and still have time for our obligations.

Most Active