Sprint Triathlon - Swimming - Need your advice on how to train and how to improve Swimming

Ohiodietguy
on 11/14/16 8:32 am

Hey guys- checking in.  One year post op. Starting weight 337. I have had some up and downs with my weight.  The week of 10/22 I was on a family vacation and ran 8 miles a day 5 of those 7 days.  I came home and had lost 5 lbs down to 170.1- very exciting.  Then on 11/5 I was able to complete my first marathon and I was at about 171- 173.  I finished in 5 hours 43 minutes, I am glad to just finish, the average is 4 hours and 30 minute -so yes I am very slow.  Now for the concerning part-  I have jumped up to 175.  I dont have any plans to run  45-60 miles a week just to keep my weight down. I cannot keep up that kind of mileage.  My eating seems to be a little out of control. I am eating protein bars and drinking protein shakes for lunch and breakfast. Then at dinner I have either salmon or crab or just vegetables with another protein bar. I am eating the right foods- but too much!! . I  am now interested in training for a Sprint Triathlon in June 2017 for Fathers day. 750 meters swim in open water about a 1/2 mile , 20k bike race 12 miles and 5k run - 3.2 miles .

So now I have started swimming in the mornings and then getting on the treadmill for a half hour and the on the stationary bike for a half hour. Even though I am not running 9 or 10 miles each morning I am starving/ravenous after swimming for just a half hour to 45 minutes.  I am really struggling with the swimming. The pool is 25 meters and I cannot swim one lap without stopping several times. 

I am hoping my weight is not going to skyrocket just because I am no longer running long distances. Well it seems like I continue to struggle with over eating even after surgery. I am going to be grateful for weighing 175 and not 337.  

If anyone has any suggestions, advice words of wisdom for training for a sprint triathlon and any suggestions on how to build endurance swimming it would be greatly appreciated- 

have been on a lot of web sites and have been reading 2 books- A lot of the training guides sound  like a foreign language to me.  When I tried to post to online forums not getting much response or feedback, forums geared to training for a triathlon.  Thanks for your help- have a good week :) 

Starting Weight 337  Current Weight 178.4 BMI 22.3 

highlandbear
on 11/14/16 7:34 pm - Canada

give me a few days to answer this for you. to tired tonight. not unusually to be hungry after a swim. there are many things to do to help build up your swim. if you don;t hear from me message me work is crazy for me

cabin111
on 11/28/16 8:10 pm, edited 11/28/16 12:35 pm

Two pieces of advice in different areas...Take them for what they're worth.  In college I was a PE major...We had to learn all different sports and exercises.  Also being in CA swimming is a big deal...(like ice hockey in the mid west).  They would force us to swim for long distances...It became very boring.  Two ideas (if you have not done these); get a good pair of goggles...Don't go cheap.  The other idea is to mix up your swimming strokes.  You need to do most of your swimming using the freestyle.  But since I got so board with that (plus it made me soar from not using those muscles all the time), I would rotate to the sidestroke, backstroke, and breaststroke.  The butterfly, I believe, takes too much energy and is very hard to master.  Most people look really stupid trying to master the butterfly...A waste of time if you don't need it.  I will put below a Youtube video on the freestyle.  The hardest part for me to master was (as in the video) is the S shape movement of the arm. 

I thought post RNY I would go back to swimming as my # 1 choice for exercise.  But I am cold ALL the time...Add cold water and you have a very grumpy guy.  So I found the bicycle and walking as my best choices for exercise.

Another thing I will mention...(this will come up from time to time) is down time.  You get busy, you get injured, sick, family or work issues and you can't get in the same amount of workout you normally do.  You still want to use the same amount of food intake and it can become a real problems/issue with weight gain.  The only two things I have found (if I am forced into a complete lack of movement situation) is to drink more water (or Splenda fake fruit drinks) and to stuff myself with as many raw vegetables as I can.  It helps with that "not full" feeling and can keep your blood sugar somewhat normal...Esp if you eat things like raw carrots, beans/legumes (cooked), or peas.  Also oatmeal (with Splenda and a small amount of milk) can work also.  Good luck on your journey...Brian

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&c d=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj46-yThs3QAhXpg1QKHXv3BiUQtwII KzAD&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DSONx52c yltI&usg=AFQjCNGYlA-YfYhwNvcRad8gA2c5UV3N8A&sig2=iYyMnFJo5FJ akigowDu8nw

Ohiodietguy
on 11/29/16 8:46 am

Cabin111  thank you for the great advice I really appreciate it . 

I have been starting to eat more raw vegetables and it seems to help fill me up .  I am also cold all the time I'm always freezing even when I get in the water it's very cold .  I guess that is a result of a bodyweight and a low percentage of body fat ?  I will try to learn the different swimming strokes that sounds like a great idea .  I really thought since I was able to complete a marathon it was in good shape .  I'm learning that I'm unable to swim and I'm not in very good shape as far as swimming is concerned .  I am starting to take for swimming lessons at the Y and I'm taking three other lessons at a different location .  So I'm hoping to get some good advice from the swimming lessons .  Thank you again for your response and taking the time to really appreciate it hope you have a good week 

cabin111
on 11/29/16 9:43 am

A couple other thoughts...Just talking out loud.  If the swimming becomes too hard just go with a duathlon.  Duathlons are conducted at sprint, standard and long distances. Sprint distance duathlons are a 5 kilometers run, a 20 kilometers bike, and a 2.5 kilometers run. Standard distance duathlons are a 10 kilometers run, a 40 kilometers bike, and a 5 kilometers run. Long distance duathlons have not been standardized but the Powerman Zofingen course is a 10 kilometer run, a 150 kilometer bike and a 30 kilometer run.

Yeah, concerning the cold of the water, it really is a major problem with many people post op.  True story...I was working security in California about 2 years post op.  It was 102 in the shade...I was standing on blacktop...And I was cold!!  It gets a little better over the years, but not much better.  For Christmas/birthdays I am always asking for thermal underwear, warm socks, scarfs, gloves.  Concerning the swimming, before I would float with ease...Because of the fat (fat floats).  But since you have much less fat, you have to force your body though the water as you are swimming.  There is no easy route in that area except for a full body suit.  But they are uncomfortable and will slow you down with your time.  But since you are only racing yourself, it's a no biggie.

Concerning other strokes...Just try all three and work on them for awhile.  Whichever 1 or 2 you can master just use them for a change up.  You may want to talk to your swimming teachers or go on tri websites and see what other people do who have issues with the swimming parts.  Brian 

Ohiodietguy
on 11/29/16 12:48 pm

Hi Brian, 

Thanks for the Good Advice!  Thanks if I cannot get the swimming part, then I will try a duathlon.  I will give the other types of swim strokes and see how they work.  Thanks a lot - have a good day!

Most Active