Adjusting to new routines

peachpie
on 1/31/17 7:25 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

so I've had the same routine that I love, love, love for the past two years. My son has been anxious to be old enough to go with me to the gym. Finally bit the bullet and got membership somewhere that accepts his age. 

The drawbacks: i have to leave earlier to get him home in time for his bed time. I have to cut my usual work out short as a result, and since I need to show him the ropes with weights, it further cuts into my time. I can't try classes yet since between his homework, my having to cook dinner and his bedtime I won't make it to a class on time.

My mind is just distracted knowing he's there. Ugg- I feel so selfish-- I want MY time back. I'll be patient. Hopefully he'll get into his groove and we won't be joined  at the hip while there.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Focused1
on 2/1/17 7:23 am

Hi Peachpie!

I can definitely understand how this can put a damper on your ME time! Maybe you can have specific days that you son can go with you and it can be geared more towards him, but also have days that he has to sit out. It's very important that you maintain your workouts and have that release to stay healthy. If you spend all of your exercise time not effectively moving you will begin to stall. So maybe have 2 days a week for him and 3-4 for you, that way you won't feel deprived. Just an idea.

peachpie
on 2/1/17 2:51 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Thanks! I still run- so that's my true me time. Luckily he has no interest in running :-) I'm sure his excitement will either wear off, or he'll get to a place where he does his own thing and we're only traveling together. 

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Gwen M.
on 2/2/17 6:25 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Yes!  I'm sure that it'll get easier and more... efficient?  More natural?  More... better?  as time goes on and you get into your grooves.  

While it's only once a month that I'm going up to spend the weekend with my mom now, I always have (and had) a hard time adjusting to exercise schedule when I'm in PA vs. at home.  These days, what works for my mom and I, is that we'll go to a local park together and do our own thing at the same time.  So we end up walking together for 5-10 minutes and then I run off and she continues walking while I run.  We pass each other every so often depending on the path and wave and we feel good about being out there getting our movement on "together."  It motivates both of us to be "together," even if we're not together for the entire time.  :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

chevtow41
on 2/18/17 5:50 am
DS on 11/11/14

Enjoy the time with your son. It won't be long and he won't be around all the time. I always lifted with my sons and now the oldest is off in University and it's a bummer :(

You have your whole life to work out by yourself but for now be proud your boy wants to be healthy, AND wants to be around you !

Most Active