What can I do to actually get motivated?

Deanna798
on 10/3/17 11:19 am
RNY on 08/04/15

I don't have a lot of time to work out. My schedule is crazy, my husband is out of town a lot and I have a long commute. I have a toddler and a teenager and just can't seem to get to the gym. That leaves me to walk/run at home, and to use the gym at work. We have a full gym, with weights and all of the machines that I would need for a real workout, available for free in the building that I work in. The problem is that the only time I could get to work out is on my lunch break. Usually I eat at my desk while working, but after talking with my therapist, we both think I need to take more time to get up and decompress throughout the day.

That is easier said than done. I took my extra pair of running shoes to work, and I plan on taking a tshirt and work out pants with me to work on Monday's each week, but getting the motivation to actually get up and get down there is really, really hard.

What do you guys do to motivate yourself? I need to build some muscle back and I signed up for a 10k next spring that I need to start training for.

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

Knitter215
on 10/4/17 5:54 am
VSG on 08/23/16

At first, it can be really tough to get motivated and stay there until you get to that point where you want to be in the gym and miss it if you're not. Two options - for using the gym at work - put it in the calendar and set an alarm - just like any other meeting. Get up, get your stuff, leave your desk and go. This is a meeting you have to attend like any other -- That may help. Is there a trainer on site to help you develop a routine? That may help as well.

For those days when you can't get to the gym, consider using something like Fitness Blender - which is on line, free and offers full classes you can do in your own living room or bedroom. Or consider doing a Yoga class via fitness blender after dinner with the toddler to see if the toddler will do some of it. (My niece's little girl, who is 3, does "yoga" with her - but she knows many of the "animal" positions now - cat, cow, cobra, down dog.) You get some time with the little one and get in some exercise.

Learning to put ourselves first is hard. I've struggled with it for years and now have drawn some firm lines. (I only have a teen at home - the other one is at college so I'm in a different space). But now, I'm out two nights a week fencing for two hours and at the Y at least 2 more times a week for an hour doing weights and agility work. I made a commitment to get myself healthy when I had this surgery - that includes physically fit. I want to see both my daughters graduate college and grad school, get married, have families or whatever is in store for them.

Make it an appointment you cannot break - learn to say yes to you and no to something someone else wants for that one hour.

Keep on losing!

Diana

HW 271.5 (April 2016) SW 246.9 (8/23/16) CW 158 (5/2/18)

Gwen M.
on 10/4/17 7:07 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Zombies Run :) I only let myself use it when I'm running. It's a strong motivator.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Erin T.
on 10/9/17 3:20 pm
VSG on 01/17/17

I still need to try this!

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

peachpie
on 10/8/17 8:54 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

I have a gym next door to my office. I looked into it when I first started there-- but knew that working out during work would not work for me. It would mean having to change from work to work out clothes, getting recessed and reapplying make up. That not reasonable to do within an hour regularly. It's not even about motivation- it about practicality IMO. It's not logistically feasible to maintain over the long run.

I prefer early morning workouts, always have. One adjustment I had to make is to do late evenings during the work week. So I come home and immediately change into gym clothes- do homework with the kids and cook dinner. Now everyone is settled and I'm off to the gym- usually by 8/8:30. (Mine are old enough to get themselves to bed). I am and always have been adamant about my kids having bed times. If for some reason I can't go out- I exercise at home, DVD's, apps, you tube- there are plenty of options. I had to exchange what I prefer to what's practical and sustainable for my lifestyle.

Quiet frankly- if you just don't want to exercise- nothing will motivate you. Routine can make it regular, but nothing you do externally will give you internal desire. There has to be some want, desire etc from within. So, why did you sign up for a 10k? What's the urge, desire behind it??

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Deanna798
on 10/9/17 10:00 am
RNY on 08/04/15

I think that once I get started at the gym at work, it will actually work for me. I'm not a "sweater" by nature, and they have showers. I also very rarely wear makeup, even to work. We have a casual office environment and I am able to wear jeans and athletic shoes. Our largest client actually also has a casual office environment, so it makes it easy. Even if I have a meeting, it's casual. That's what is great about working with one of the big 3 auto companies. :)

The evening working out is so hit or miss. I can and should plan an at home workout of some sort. I can't do early morning or go out to work out in the evening on a regular basis during the week because my hubby is gone sporadically. Like today he left and won't be home until Wednesday, then there is a chance he'll be gone again Thursday night and come home on Friday.

I did finally get motivated and tried to run this weekend. Well, after having plastics in June, I found out quickly that I can't actually run without compression gear on. Everything moves around and jiggles so much that it hurt really badly. I walked a brisk 2.3 miles, so at least there is that.

I do actually want to exercise. When I was going to the gym at 5:30AM three to 4 days a week, I LOVED it. Now I'm finding it really difficult to schedule. I know that when I finally figure something out I'll stick with it. Until then, I'll keep pushing and trying.

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

Erin T.
on 10/9/17 3:24 pm
VSG on 01/17/17

I'm also not a sweater and don't wear makeup. So, I work out and stay in gym clothes in my office for 30 minutes or so, then change right back to dress clothes with new deodorant and you'd never know the difference. I knew that growing up a tomboy would have perks as an adult, LOL.

Erin T.
on 10/9/17 3:18 pm
VSG on 01/17/17

My biggest motivation is getting off my ass and doing it, while also not forcing myself. That sounds stupid, but before surgery, I would be on/off - no in between. I was either working out like a mad woman (and hating it) or I was sedentary for months on end.

Now that I'm smaller, I truly love to work out. But, sometimes I just get in a slump and I have to let that happen for a few days. I worked out 5-6 days per week for all of September and I was happy to do it. Then the last weekend I hiked over 10 miles and the first week of October my body went into shut down. I let it stay there for 5-6 days and then I *****ed and moaned my way out the door for a hike yesterday and then a run too and then today BAM, I'm back and want more!

I pack gym clothes for work the night before and I try to add in variation. Right now I'm running - sometimes inside and sometimes outside, plus taking a kettlebell class (which motivates me because I paid for it too). Plus, I love to hike and those just become bonus workouts and the family likes them (mostly) too.

Jeepnyak
on 10/10/17 3:26 am
VSG on 07/03/17

I know the feeling all too well. That 100% or 0% cycle.

HW:320 SW:290 GW:190 CW:181

5'11", age 37 M1-28, M2-12, M3-16,

M4-15, M5-16, M6-5

M7-8(100lb goal) M8-4 M9-0

M10-5 M11-3 M12-0

David-Ryan
on 10/10/17 11:56 pm

What you really need to be get motivated is to set goals, like i have to lose weight 2 ponds this week, 3 pounds next and similarly. These goals give you energy and interest to achieve your targets.

2ndly make a working out partner with shared goals, so that you both start competing each other. This will definitely boast your motivation when after each week you both measure your weight.

Most Active