Getting Started

SKT
on 10/13/17 7:32 am

I am one month post-opp and am eager to get started with something more than walking. At my one month check in the nurse mentioned that we are still healing and to take it very slow.

I am thinking about starting a swimming program. I have a number of fitness goals that I hope to achieve this year and want to take gentle steps.

Would love to hear others experiences with timing and what worked well for you

Gwen M.
on 10/14/17 1:56 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I was only allowed to walk for the first 6 weeks post-op, so that's what I did :)

Then I joined a gym with a group fitness schedule that appealed to me and I started taking every class that seemed even remotely appealing to me. I promised myself that I would stick with each new class for four tries because I've found this is the best way to get beyond the "I'm a totally uncoordinated whale and everyone is staring at me" period that I'm pretty sure everyone goes through. I found that I love a specific type of Pilates, yoga with some instructors, and tai chi. I like other things too, like zumba, and whenever my gym offers a new class that works with my schedule I'm happy to try it out too. It's fun to experiment :)

On the walking front, I kept walking until I could walk for an hour and then I worked on increasing my walking pace. Eventually I thought, "Huh, maybe I can run." So I tried that and I started adding running intervals to my walks. I kept going, signed up for my first 5k, then I signed up for more, and I actually ran my first half marathon on my 40th birthday/3 year surgiversary in March 2017 :D

I think the most important thing, aside from taking it slow, is to find what you love. Experiment, try everything you have access to, force yourself to give it four chances. Maybe hire a personal trainer if that's something that interests you. There are so many options out there that I feel pretty strongly that there's something for everyone.

Most of all? I never shy away from "crazy" physical activities anymore. A trip to SkyZone with a kid from Art's dojo? SURE. (It's a trampoline park.) A day climbing walls at the indoor climbing place? Sign me up! Canoeing on vacation even though I haven't canoed in 20+ years? Why not! It's great. I love this life!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

SKT
on 10/14/17 3:17 pm

Thank you so much for this thoughtful reply! I love that you aren't shying away from activities and cannot wait for that to be me. I think I will be hiring a personal trainer to get started to make sure I have a good solid foundation and don't hurt myself.

Can't wait to participate more in this section of the board!

Gwen M.
on 10/14/17 3:44 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Ooh, yes - that's another important thing. Don't try to do EVERYTHING ALL AT ONCE. Because hurting yourself and then having to take a break sucks :P

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Knitter215
on 10/16/17 9:41 am
VSG on 08/23/16

Every program is different. My doc's instructions were to listen to my body. I spent an hour on a recumbent bike five days after surgery and was cleared for gentle cardio immediately. I was OK to lift weights at 3 weeks out. I had been doing a program with a trainer before surgery - in anticipation of post-op - and started right in - usually 40 minutes on the recumbent bike followed by 30 minutes of weights. Pretty soon, it was an hour of weights.

I started the Couch to 5k program at one point, but running isn't a good fit for me. In the first months post-op, I did lots of cardio on machines and walking, I swam and I did yoga and Zumba-type classes. I worked with a personal trainer about once a month to set goals and change things up so I didn't get bored.

By 7 months out, I started fencing and training for a 5k. Ran my one and only 5k in June and now pretty much devote myself to fencing and training for fencing (5-6 hours of fencing a week plus agility and strength training.) I also work with a Pilates coach regularly -which is fantastic.

Listen to your body and find something that you like to do. Liking it makes it so much better.

Keep on losing!

Diana

HW 271.5 (April 2016) SW 246.9 (8/23/16) CW 158 (5/2/18)

Most Active