Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.’s Posts

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 5/2/17 5:11 am
Topic: RE: Did a 3.2mi run for the heck of it!

So, I have posted a few things about my running journey. My wife got me the apple watch series2 for our anniversary last week (I would NOT shut up about how much I want one for weeks now lol). I really wanted to be able to run without holding my phone or strapping to my arm or anything, while still playing music and tracking via GPS. I'm not huge into logging splits or needing all the fancy metrics a Garmin running watch will provide (yet), so am super happy! Anyway, we went out of town the next day for my sisters college graduation and havent had a chance to use my watch (I could have run there, but I didnt :\)

Anyway, I took my preworkout before I left work and raced home on my motorcycle to beat the looming rainstorm. Changed, fought with my watch/headphones to pair and literally as I was walking to the front door it started to dump BUCKETS! :( :( :(

Wife got home shortly after with our car so I hopped in and went to the gym. I was just going to lift since I dont much enjoy the treadmill, but I REALLY wanted to run and I REALLY wanted to use my watch. So, I hopped on the treadmill and ran.

I knocked out my first mile SUPER easy. No discomfort on my knees. Was not winded. Felt like I was getting into my groove! I told myself 2 miles then since it felt so good. I got around 1.75mi, STILL felt great (for the most part). Was starting to get tired, and starting to adjust the speed down to control HR and then back up to be in my comfortable speed spot. I got to 2.5 and told myself no... you're tired. You're uncomfortable. But you're not done. Said to myself: sorry bud, you're doing a 5k today. lol so, I did a 5k! I Couldnt remember if it was 3.1 or 3.2 so I went to 3.2... I didnt stop ONCE. Well, I did.. I was trying to send a picture to my wife of the treadmill menu while I was running and I somehow completely stopped it and it turned off and had to reset it. So, whatever it took to press quick start and get it back to speed at 5.8. My knees are tired today, but I was so damn proud of myself!

This is from my watch :)

My wife took some photos for my sisters graduation but has only posted this one so far. Isnt my sis beautiful? This is me and my siblings (sans a brother and sister), but love how skinny I am!

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 4/24/17 5:10 am
Topic: RE: I think I actually like running?

I completely agree with all of what you wrote :) I havent had time to get to the store but they do watch you run and walk barefoot to determine the correct shoe (neutral, pronate, etc). Keeping legs strong is incredibly important. I do need to more regularly do leg exercises at the gym.. My legs have always been strong and solid, but not necessarily for running, so I dont do as often as I should. I will be now :)

I stretch before and after runs.

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 4/20/17 5:42 am
Topic: RE: I think I actually like running?

So last week I got on the treadmill at the gym and cranked out 1 mile in about 10:30. I hadnt run since October, and I couldnt even run a straight mile then (after doing couch to 5k program). Its incredible what losing so much weight allows our body to just naturally do lol

As a result, I told my wife I wanted to sign up for a 5k on Saturday. We did it and finished around 36 minutes. Lots of run walk. I had a blast!

I went online to find other 5ks to register for and saw a local running store/shoe store had a free fun run for post Easter exercise last night, so I went. I felt completely out of place... So many people wearing their marathon shirts, wearing all the fancy running belts with little water bottles, leg compression socks, yada yada. I had on my dirty daily wear tennis shoes that are torn on top, my gym shorts and an undershirt. I had to hold my iphone to keep from slapping my leg, as well as my motorcycle key from bothering me lol. We started and I did got to 1 mile without stopping in 10 minutes. My mapmyrun app alerted me of my distance and my first thought was "OH CRAP!" because I knew I had to get back to the store still... So, I turned around, and made it all the way back without stopping to walk (I did have a little stop to retie my right shoe).

I was SO proud of myself! 2.04 miles, 21:47 total and 10:41 minute/mile. I probably could have gone to 2.5 miles but then I'd have needed to stop...

Only issue is my right knee bothering me after I run (today not yesterday). Its always been bad... I dont want to wear a brace because that would just overall weaken it in the long run :( Maybe a little support thing, the band style, not a full on brace? No idea.

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 7/25/16 11:59 am
Topic: RE: Weekly Workouts 7.24.16

M - C25k program week 3 day 1

T - weight lifting, chest

W - C25k program week 3 day 2

TH - weight lifting, back

F - C25k program week 3 day 3

S - weights, legs

SUN - rest

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 7/25/16 11:57 am
Topic: RE: no training

bummer :( sorry to hear

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 7/20/16 1:52 pm
Topic: RE: Thinking of returning to pool after VSG

Glad you found a solution Rich! Long time to be told to stay out of submerging in water, most I've seen (all, really) are only about 5-6 weeks. But, you worked and found a goal so go on and do you! 

Love being in the water myself.

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 7/20/16 1:50 pm
Topic: RE: Bike or walk?

Anyone can be overweight doing anything, if you eat enough ;) I used to be overweight biking 130 miles a week on average. Would see other heavy cyclists. 

Cycling is great for joints though, doesnt really hurt ya. So long as you dont flare your knees out while you ride

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 7/15/16 12:08 pm
Topic: RE: Weight lifting strength gone :(

Realized I posted this in wrong forum :P

I stopped working out about a week before surgery, and that was on May 27

I have been back in about maybe 6 times now... Doing some cardio and lifting.

Its just such a mental downer when in there and having lost so much of my strength from not having gone in a while.

My bench in the last 12 months was a max 2 rep at 300#, today for my workout I barely got 140# for 6... 

Hoping to get my strength back up. I understand it wont be that number for quite a while partly because of calorie deficit and cannot carb load my muscles, but man... I'd like to get back to somewhere substantial soon lol

Any input on how long it took to get their strength back?

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 7/11/16 1:20 pm
Topic: RE: Weekly Workouts 7.10.16

Feel better man.

I'm heading to gym after my allergy shots today

Did day 1 of couch 2 5k last week on Monday or so, my shin muscles were toast lol. Having not ran in several years, they had plenty of lactic acid to flush out...

I'm feeling like I never did the run, so after my workout today I'll tackle day 2. Hopefully it wont set me back like day 1 lol

Planning on lifting 5 days this week. May just do 4 (with running) + 1 day of running only. A friend from church asked me to work out with him some to keep him motivated, so will hit another gym Saturday

I want to start swimming so that I can train for a tri. For now just a sprint I think. The cycling part I doubt I'll even do much training for, not a big deal for me. Did a century without riding for about 5 weeks. I paid for it, but thats 100 miles... If I can get the running down, swimming is also pretty easy for me but I def need to get in and log some miles consistently.

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 7/8/16 8:21 am
Topic: RE: I need some diet help my friends.

are you gaining from it?

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 7/5/16 10:05 am
Topic: RE: Why are so many people here against working out/exercise?

I started my couch to 5 k program yesterday after my workout. Was going to ask my wife how much longer she had but  I figured I had enough time but we ended up leaving the gym :(

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 7/5/16 10:04 am

I use resistance bands in almost every one of my workouts. Love them.

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 7/5/16 5:31 am

Agreed

I got back into the gym yesterday, been counting down the days since surgery. I technically was supposed to wait until Thursday, but I had tested out my abdominal muscles with planks + push ups and had no pain.

Hit the weights for a whole body workout at super light weight (my strength is incredibly diminished since having surgery... talk about disheartening)

Feeling it today in a good sore muscle way. Cant wait to get back in again in a few days :)

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 6/28/16 2:03 pm

I don't think I really disagree with anything. I would probably say that sim exercise (weight training) does in fact help to lose more weight due to metabolic advantages 

I will be the first to say weight loss for ANYONE not just post op people is at least 95% diet

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 6/28/16 11:33 am

:) thanks for sharing

Used to live in Buford, miss it up in that area!

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 6/28/16 8:33 am

I just do not understand it, guys.

I see it posted by people all the time that "exercise does not help with weight loss". I understand that with being so caloric restrictive with our surgeries, exercise has way less impact.

I just refuse to buy into the fact that "exercise does not help"...

Muscle = burns fat, its your metabolic system. More muscle = more fatloss = better/higher success in maintenance

Muscle = how your body moves and supports itself

Muscle = not being a skinny frail old fart stuck to a chair/walker/Rascal scooter

Muscle = no ass pain when our fat asses (literally, lol) go away and we are left uncomfortable, by building our glutes

Muscle = less body pain due to weakness in joints/etc when our supporting fat is gone (I have to keep my shoulder strong or it hurts from where I had surgery 4 years ago)

I'm not even talking huge amounts of muscle.. I'm talking ANY THING THAT CAN BE HAD FROM EXERCISE...

Am I the only one? I know I "stir the pot", but that, in my opinion, is some of the absolute WORST information/feedback I have ever seen on here.

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 6/20/16 8:05 am
Topic: RE: Weekly Workouts 6.19.16

nothing and its absolutely killing me man :(

im 4 weeks out on Thursday, but told to wait to 6 weeks before i get back in the gym...

I downloaded the couchto5k app and want to do that as well, but I am miserable not getting in gym to lift weights

Whats worse, is I can feel my muscle mass has shrank... I have huge calf muscles but theyre even smaller... 

Picked up a 30# box of frozen dog food yesterday with no issues, so its not making it easy or me to stay out of the gym lol

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 5/16/16 1:51 pm
Topic: RE: Gym or no Gym..that is the question

I absolutely LOVEEEEE to work out. I love everything about it, as far as going to a gym. When I'm in a mode of losing weight and seeing results I cannot get enough of the gym.

However, I have tried to work out at home ever since college and just cannot do it. My wife has asked multiple times if we can outfit our garage as a gym and I've said no... I just cant do it. I cant even get into a good workout at a hotel gym. I need the full experience. I need people to compare myself to in my mind. I need other guys that are lifting in good form to watch and learn new things from. I need to push myself in an environment where people are watching me and expecting that.

I cannot do that at home.. Like you said, I'd find every excuse to not do it. When I'm in a gym, I have only one goal and that is to crush the weights. lol

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 5/3/16 10:18 am
Topic: RE: Micronized Creatine Anyone?

Yup, C4 is good. Used to be better, but most of the supp companies had to remove one ingredient... Apparently its pretty bad for you. Cool, sounds like you have a good regiment. Love the Super HD... Except, it makes me soooooooo hot.

Another good one is Grenade from Universal Nutrition. 

Love the face itches

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 5/3/16 8:08 am

Seems you know more than me about it! :)

Have you considered just using a preworkout instead? There are some without creatine even. I love the use of them... I was actually just sitting at my desk with a frowny face because I'm stopping using mine until post op, letting my body have a month without.

That will give you the push and mental focus/clarity to push out some better reps til failure. I love them.... I LOVE the itchy tingly feel :)

Cardio cuts is one, I Think GNC carries, without creatine. Guy sold to my wife because of that, but I use more than her.

Another great supplement are BCAAs, help your body both stay hydrated as well as aide in muscle recovery.

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 5/2/16 7:40 am

What are you trying to do with creatine? Just curious. I dont know about creapure or micronized creatine, but I know that creatine will help your muscles store water and give some a little more strength and appearance of bigger muscles. However, the scale will move, so thats tough on a lot of people.

I've also heard that once you stop taking it, the change in size is converted to fat. I dont know how true that is, though

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 3/1/16 12:27 pm
Topic: RE: Weekly Workouts 2.29.16

S rest

M - chest weight lifting

T - shoulders - weight lifting

W - rest

TH - back weight lifting

F - chest weight lifting

S - rest

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 3/1/16 12:26 pm
Topic: RE: BCBS Health Ways membership

I just posted a comment on a thread and thought I would share this. I havent had surgery yet and I absolutely love weight lifting in a gym. I found this program exploring BCBS website maybe 9 months ago.

It costs $25 to enroll and its $25 each month, but you can join all gyms they offer, and go to any gym they offer in the country. Its great if you travel a lot... I have a membership at my local Golds, LA and Anytime, as well as a health center. Its nice that I can go to my Anytime at lunch during the week and either Golds or LA depending on what body group I plan on working out, or if I want to swim for example at LA.

Its really awesome. I'll post links below for how to sign up. 2nd link is to find what gyms are offered near you 

:)

https://www.blue365deals.com/healthways-national-standing-25 -monthly-fee-access-network-9000-gyms-nationwide?planid=BCBS FL

http://www.hcdimensions.com/FitnessYourWay/

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 3/1/16 12:22 pm
Topic: RE: Good workout guide for people who don't know what to do at all?

Theres a program that Blue Cross offers called Healthy Ways, which is basically same as silver sneakers -- its phenomenal.

Its $25 to enroll + $25 for first month and $25 for every month after. You get access to 9,000 gyms or so in the country. You can join gyms like Golds, LA, Anytime, SNAP, etc.

Its definitely worth looking into. I travel a lot for work so I love being able to go to any gym in the country :)

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 2/24/16 6:22 am
Topic: RE: Post RNY Bodybuilding Eating Plan

I'm an avid weight lifter. I havent had surgery, but am working on seeing if its the best fit for me.

I googled the other day "gastric bypass bodybuilding" and found this guys page

http://www.theweightstopsnow.com

He has some meal plans, not sure if theyre catered to "normal" people or bariatric patients

http://www.theweightstopsnow.com/apps/webstore/

Hope this helps :) He has a pretty great story from what I read on his site and the bodybuilding page

Most Active