adam_’s Posts

adam_
on 5/21/11 11:19 pm
Topic: RE: If I can do it...YOU can do it....
On May 22, 2011 at 5:45 AM Pacific Time, DANCBJAMMIN wrote:
Congrats on achieving your goals!
Thanks bro and amazing work yourself....way to keep pushing yourself....

-Adam - 6'6" - From 450 lbs to GOAL in 9 months...
Phase 1: Completed 10/2008.
Phase 2: Weightlifting - Goal: Add 40 lbs of muscle. Completed 2/15/2011.
Phas 3: Cut to 10% body fat.
MY STORY:  imthebiggestloser.blogspot.com/

adam_
on 5/21/11 4:07 pm
Topic: RE: If I can do it...YOU can do it....
NO, It WON'T happen overnight. But PERSISTENCE pays off!

If *I* can do it....you can.

NO EXCUSES.

I had my RNY on Jan 7th 2008...
I ended up in a coma for almost a month due to major complications (leak).
I could not breathe on my own and was kept alive by a ventilator for 3 weeks due to respiratory  failure.
My kidneys also shut down and I nearly lost my life.
After multiple attempts daily to ween me off the vent I eventually started coming around and was finally able to breath on my own....
I regained concsiousness but, I wish I hadnt....
What followed was a full week of withdrawal from the enormous amount of sedatives I was on... 24x7 Constant hallucinations, paranoia, delusions and absolute terror (mental issues were way worse than the unbearable physical pain!).
Not to mention the unbeleivably painful bed sores...
An open wound on my abdomen about 4" wide x 8" long and 4" deep that took nearly  6 months to heal from the inside.
Factor in 2 torn rotator cuffs from my 400+ lb body being moved around while unconcsious...
I had to learn how to stand, and eventually walk again, due to sever muscle atrophy...
What else?
An enormous Ventral Hernia about the size of a cantalope in my abdomen that had to be surgically repaired not once, but twice (2008 and 2009)....

Two years after I began my "journey", and after losing 240 lbs and a ton of muscle mass, I decided that the only way I was going to truly become healthy was to get serious about regaining my *strength*. 

Today, 1 year after beginning my resistance training, I feel unbeleivable....by far the best I have in my entire life.

Cardio is great....but if you haven't begun strength training....start NOW!  

adam_
on 12/22/10 3:47 am
Topic: RE: Am I the only one *****ally gained weight from going to the gym?
Erin,

I would suggest keeping an eye on your bodyfat % monthly...Based on the limited info you provided I would say to just stick to cardio if you're not looking to build mass....drop the weight lifting all together...and if your diet is in check you should lose weight...once you reach your bodyfat goal (maybe 12-15%?), you can always bring back in the weight training if you want...

Good luck,

Adam

adam_
on 11/28/10 8:35 am
Topic: RE: Sunday workouts
Back/Bis
Lat Pulldowns - 3 sets, 10 reps @ 165 lbs
Dumbell bent over Rows - 3 sets, 10 reps @ 90 lbs ea.
Lower back Machine - 3 sets, 10 reps @ entire rack (250 lbs I think)
Barbell bent over Rows - 3 sets, 10 reps @ 135 lbs
Chin ups - 3 sets, 8 - 10 reps
Preacher Curls - 3 sets, 10 reps @ 90 lbs
Concentration Curls - 3 sets, 10 reps @ 45 lbs ea.
Hammer Curls - 3 sets, 10 reps @ 45 lbs ea.

60 mins full court basketball.

adam_
on 11/27/10 9:36 pm
Topic: RE: Update on 7 months of Weight Training after 240 lb weight loss
On November 27, 2010 at 9:00 PM Pacific Time, cruzksu wrote:
That's awesome!  Congrats on your success!  I have been focusing on cardio to help me get the weight off, but once I lose the weight wanted, wanting to add some muscle back on. I also hear is good to do some strength training while losing so your body doesn't want to burn so much muscle too.  So I do some, but probably not enough to add muscle weight yet.  Hopefully you don't mind me asking, but did you have any skin removal?  Notice you don't seem to have extra skin, was just curious.  After 130 lbs I already have some lose skin, but still rather have extra skin then be 404 lbs again. 
Thanks! Yes, cardio is great but I would highly suggest adding weight training as soon as you're cleared by your doctor.  I lost considerable muscle during my rapid weight loss  because I was unable to lift, due to complications and 2 hernia repairs. As for the skin issues, I was very fortunate that my skin snapped back very well considering the 240 lb weight loss. That said, I did have a bit of loose skin in my very lower abdominal area (1.5 lbs worth) and I had it removed last september during hernia repair # 2 as it wasn't much $$ because most of the hospital bills were already covered by insurance.  I had a bit on the arms but its been filled out with muscle now.  Little bit remaining in the moob area but that's starting to fill out nicely too. I think once I reach my goal of 250 lbs I should be free of any extra skin and nice and tight.

adam_
on 11/27/10 9:51 am, edited 11/27/10 11:37 am
Topic: RE: Update on 7 months of Weight Training after 240 lb weight loss
Well, first off, here is my weight loss before & after (240 lbs):

And here is what I look like now, after 7 months of weight training 4-5 days / week...I have put on almost 25 lbs yet remained the same body fat %.  Pics are flexed but not pumped...I look way better after a workout...haha:

I lift weights 5 days per week for about 90 mins plus 30-45 mins of cardio most days (OFF on Weds and Sunday)...here is my current program:

Monday:
Back/Bis
Lat Pulldowns
Dumbell bent over Rows
Lower back Machine
Barbell bent over Rows
Chin ups
Preacher Curls
Concentration Curls
Hammer Curls

Tues:
Chest/Tris
Flat Bench Press
Incline Dumbells
Decline Bench Press
Flies
Chest Dips
Skull Crushers
Overhead dumbell Tricep Extensions
Cable Tricep Kickbacks
Cable Tricep Pulldowns

Weds: OFF

Thurs: 
Legs/Shoulders
Leg Presses
Hack Squats
Calf Work
Glute Ham Raise
Standing Military Press
Seated Shoulder Press
Reverse Flies
Shrugs

Fri:
Back/Bis
Lat Pulldowns
Dumbell bent over Rows
Lower back Machine
Barbell bent over Rows
Chin ups
Preacher Curls
Concentration Curls
Hammer Curls

Sat:
Chest/Tris
Flat Bench Press
Incline Dumbells
Decline Bench Press
Flies
Chest Dips
Skull Crushers
Overhead dumbell Tricep Extensions
Cable Tricep Kickbacks
Cable Tricep Pulldowns

Sun: OFF

Mon: 
Legs/Shoulders
Leg Presses
Hack Squats
Calf Work
Glute Ham Raise
Standing Military Press
Seated Shoulder Press
Reverse Flies
Shrugs

REPEAT

As for my diet, I do a "Cyclical Ketogenic Diet"  which is a low carb / high protein diet consuming 3100 calories per day Sunday through Friday afternoon and then I load up on carbs but decrease fats and calories a bit (2600 calories) for 36 hours Friday night through Saturday night (midnight)...which is great for those of us who work Mon-Fri and like to party on the weekends...haha.  This diet was designed to cut fat while maintaining & building muscle.  Straight Atkin's style low carb dieting is not good for Bodybuilders because you *will* lose muscle along with the fat since you never refill your depleted muscle glycogen stores.

adam_
on 11/17/10 8:09 am
Topic: RE: Your 1st 5K???
I don't enjoy running for the sake of running, I'd rather be running full court Basketball for my exercise....but my wife does love running...so i did a cross-country 5k last year (in the woods...sand...dirt...hills...etc)...took me just over 29 minutes...I was about a year and a half out...I'm 6'6...was around my lowest so about 210 lbs... Wifey's doing another 1/2 marathon on Sunday (Philly) and she wants me to do one soon....NO THANKS! haha

Good luck if you decide to do it...just be careful and take your time...drink...drink...drink...

adam_
on 10/26/10 10:58 pm
Topic: RE: Body looks better than ever but the scale isn't budging...grrr
 Yeaaa, been crazy busy the past few months...between work, the gym 5-6 days / week, and working on relocating to Florida I've had zero time to get on here...hoping it'll calm down soon!  All is well though...hopefully the same for you!

Anyway, I have no doubt you'll get that body you're looking for...just keep up the excellent work! Trust me I know how hard it is....keep your eye on the prize.

adam_
on 10/26/10 5:09 am
Topic: RE: Body looks better than ever but the scale isn't budging...grrr

Mandy,

First, great job, you look AMAZING…keep up the great work!

You've already gotten some great advice in here…I say if you wanna get jacked, get jacked… =) Just don’t worry about your BMI because it is completely skewed if you weight train…I just had my Health Assessment at work, for insurance purposes, and the guy laughed because the BMI results considered me overweight, borderline Obese simply because of my height/weight ratio...I'm 6'6" 240 lbs. (I've gained 30 lbs of muscle in the past 6 months.)  Yes it's scary seeing the scale go up...but you feel better when you track your inches and see you're only gaining size in the right spots! ;-)

Again, great work Mandy!

adam_
on 5/12/10 2:18 pm
Topic: RE: Body Building....Advice needed on diet and supplements...
UPDATE:

Weight +5 lbs.
Shoulders gained 2.0".
Bicep gained 0.5".
Forearm gained 1.0".
Neck gained 0.25".
Chest, 0.0" (boo!)
Waist lost -1.0".
Hips lost -2.0"

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

adam_
on 4/22/10 8:29 am
Topic: RE: Body Building....Advice needed on diet and supplements...
Thanks Nate, for pointing me to this board, not sure how I missed it....

Anyway as I asked in the Men's forum....

Do we have any resident Body Builder(s) that can help with this?

I'm looking for some advice on RNY-friendly supplements to assist in building muscle / recovery. I've been taking my regular bariatric vitamins and 2 to 3 servings of GNC Whey Protein daily for the past 2 years.....my diet is great...focused on high protein (lean meats) and lots of vegetables with minimal, almost zero, simple starches/sugars...I'm pretty sure this is why I've been able to maintain pretty decent muscle mass without being able to lift weights (doc's orders, multiple hernia repairs)...

Anyway,  I just got clearance from the doc to start lifting weights again and have been pointed in numerous directions by body building freinds, GNC staff, etc....Orange Triad.... Creatine.....SuperPump....No Xplode....so confused....haha...

Not even sure if any of this is safe with my rerouted plumbing?

I posted this on a body building forum and got some good responses...I was told first, I've gotta eat even  more....I've been maintaining my goal weight and about 15% body fat for 18 months now doing 5-6 meals a day ending up around 2500 calories....80 gm fat....200 gm protein....200 gm carbs....60 gm sugars (natural only).....so I'm planning to bump that up about 20%...and the protein, about 50% (via 2 additional shakes and a bit more lean meats)....

So I hit up GNC today and switched from 100% Whey to a more absorbable form (Amplified Wheybolic 60) and also picked up some SuperPump 250....and Glutamine for recovery....the SuperPump has some Creatine in it...if I dont have any adverse reactions I'm going to buy additional Creatine and ease into that....

Good/Bad idea?

Here's my before and current...."after" will be when i add at least 20 lbs of muscle:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Most Active