Am I doing it wrong?
Gwen M. · 4 replies · 145 views
Weekly Workouts 12/8
Gwen M. · 3 replies · 98 views

Kim S.’s Posts

Kim S.
on 7/14/11 12:27 pm
Topic: RE: I'm a runner (kinda...)!!!
Yeay!  That first mile is one of those milestones that you never forget!  Congrats!! You are a runner!!

Kim

Kim S.
on 7/14/11 12:24 pm
Topic: RE: Thursday Workouts
4 mile run this morning in my new running shoes....I love them...forgot how good new shoes feel!

Kim

Kim S.
on 7/13/11 10:57 am
Topic: RE: WEDNESDAY HUMPDAY WORKOUTS!!!
Going topower walk the neighborhood tonight!  This heat is killing me!

Kim S.
on 7/13/11 10:56 am
Topic: RE: Question of the Day: What brand of running shoes do you wear?
Just bought new running shoes at lunch today--tried on about 8 pairs, and ended up with Saucony.....can't wait to take 'em out!!!

Kim

Kim S.
on 7/13/11 6:59 am
Topic: RE: “Animal deterrent spray”
Bear bells?  I don't think so....I'd go with the spray, and pray you never have to use it.  The only wildlife I come upon on my trail is snakes, squirrels and chipmunks.

Kim S.
on 7/12/11 1:48 pm
Topic: RE: Question of the Day: What brand of running shoes do you wear?
I'm a New Balance girl, but would be open to trying something new!

Kim S.
on 7/12/11 6:46 am
Topic: RE: Dovetailing off Kitten Love's questions
You may need to put the scale away.  You may actually be at goal (for your body, not the number you desire). 

Concentrate on health.  Period.  Continue to do what you are doing to further build muscle and burn fat.  If the number on the scale stays the same, so be it.  Based on the clothing sizes you are wearing, it sounds like you might be there.

I have lots of muscle definition, but you cannot see it in my flabby thighs or my midsection.  But the key is that I feel great and strong and healthy.

Congrats on your success and for making physical fitness a part of your life--it really is the key to long term weight maintenance.

Kim

Kim S.
on 7/12/11 6:42 am
Topic: RE: Tuesday Workouts
Something cardio P90X+ in the basement--heat advisory so I wont be out running this evening. Gotta figure out how to get my runs in during the early morning!  I'm so not a morning person.

Kim

Kim S.
on 7/11/11 12:51 pm
Topic: RE: Monday Workouts!
When I get home, P90X arms/shoulders and ab ripper X.

Kim S.
on 7/11/11 6:47 am
Topic: RE: Starting back to Running Tomorrow
You know you best.  I don't know how you can run with anemia--when my iron is low it takes all I have to drag my butt out of bed! 

Be safe, listen to your body and good luck with fixing that iron issue!!  That is what scares me the most.....I'm a bit over 2 years post op and so far, all vits have been good, but I was prone to low iron all my life pre-surgery.  Of course, my doctor (knowing my history of low iron) didn't even recommend an iron supplement post surgery....I chose to do that on my own.  I use the Bariatric Advantage chewable iron pills and have religiously since surgery.

Keep us posted on how you are doing and enjoy that run today!!

I'm supposed to run tomorrow, and the heat index here will be around 110 degrees....I'm praying I get one of those afternoon showers to cool things off before I run.  And I complained about running in the cold during the winter!!  I can't wait to need my jacket, hat and gloves again!!

Kim

Kim S.
on 7/11/11 6:41 am
Topic: RE: Calories and Gaining Muscle Mass
I don't know if there is a "set" number, but protein is critical.  I literally "snack" on grilled chicken breast during the day.  After a workout I like to have a protein heavy meal, and I will also tend to have my carb 'o the day with that meal.....for instance, tonight I'll do P90X and then I'll have spaghetti and meatsauce (1/2 cup whole grain noodles with a cup of marinara/90% lean ground beef sauce (mostly meat)).

I also eat a protein "snack" about 20-30 mins  before I workout like hard cheese or nuts.

I'm eating around 1,500-1,800 calories per day with 140 grams of protein and about the same in carbs.  Maintaining at goal for 15 months now, and I workout 6x a week mixing cardio (running) with weights.

I have good definintion and muscle tone all over (although  I can't see the core muscles because of the skin!) and don't desire to bulk up any more.  I had to cut back on my HIIT because my legs were getting bigger and the legs on my jeans were getting tighter!

Kim S.
on 7/11/11 5:53 am
Topic: RE: Starting back to Running Tomorrow
It seems odd they would tell you to stop running unless it was just to reserve energy since anemia makes you feel sooo run down.

I'm with you--listen to your body!!!

Kim

Kim S.
on 7/8/11 6:07 am
Topic: RE: rockin the obx
Sounds amazing!  Congrats!

Kim S.
on 7/7/11 9:09 am
Topic: RE: Thursday workouts
Gonna try running again tonight.....

Kim S.
on 7/6/11 7:35 am
Topic: RE: wednesday workouts
I had a HARD time running last night in the heat/humidity.  Had to do spurts of running and walking--no real distance running.  The only thing that made me do the last mile running was the fact that I was being chased by a thunderstorm and I really wasn't up for being struck by lightning!

Tonight I'll do P90X arms/shoulders.

I'm feeling run down this week (too many late nights in New Orleans over the weekend)....I need some good long sleep!!

Kim

Kim S.
on 7/5/11 12:12 pm
Topic: RE: Weight fluctuation
I have a 5 lb range that I'm always in....if I go even .5 over it, I cut back a bit.

Kim S.
on 7/5/11 5:56 am
Topic: RE: Tuesday Workouts
Running when I get home-4 miles

Kim S.
on 7/1/11 6:30 am
Topic: RE: TGIF workouts :)
Rest/travel day--off to Nawlins for the long weekend--getting DD bridal portraits done while we are there.  Bringing running stuff so I can get a run in on Sunday morning--other than that, just lots of walking and playing in the pool with nieces.  Will be back on OH Tuesday.

Have a great holiday weekend!

Kim

Kim S.
on 6/30/11 8:23 am
Topic: RE: Along the lines of the Hoyt's
Expect amazing things from this young man in the future!  Really touched the heart.

Kim S.
on 6/30/11 8:20 am
Topic: RE: How do i get started
I was 324 lbs and out of shape when I started, but I started out with walking on the treadmill and using the weight machines.  Then I built my program from there.

The key, as Pam said, is at first be consistent.  Carve out your time everyday so it becomes a habit.  Then it really becomes a "drug" and you just want more and more!

Best to you as you begin a healthy lifestyle!  Keep us posted on your progress.

Kim

Kim S.
on 6/30/11 7:39 am
Topic: RE: Thursday workouts
Today I'm cutting the lawn when I get home....

Last night I ran 4 miles....and almost stepped on a snake (okay...yes, it was a garter snake....BUT IT WAS STILL A SNAKE!!)  Well I got so spooked by it I jacked up all my torso muscles in my spastic fit and twists and flailing attemps to get away from said snake.....luckily some walking and hydrating made the muscles relax and today I'm good as new!

Yeah...I'm really proud of my performance....especially since a walker was headed toward me right when it happened..........

I'll bet the snake died of a heart attack.

Kim S.
on 6/29/11 6:17 am
Topic: RE: Just for Fun: When I'm at the gym, I hate it when....
If you are a good **** you wouldn't need the machine....you'd get enough exercise during your working hours!

I always thought that was a stupid machine....it would be hilarious for someone to attach a doll's head to the crotch of their workout pants and use it........see?  This is why I have my own gym in my basement..........I'd get thrown out of a public place!!!

Kim S.
on 6/29/11 6:14 am
Topic: RE: Help please
I was bigger than you, 45 years old with arthritis already in my knees....and I was able to do it--you can too!

The main thing it takes is desire. Make sure you invest in a good pair of running shoes from a running store.....not a sports store.  You need to be properly fitted.

Then, start slow.  It took me over a year to be able to run 2 miles non-stop.  Listen to your body--if you feel joint pain, walk for a while.  You will get to the point where you KNOW which pain means stop, and which pain you can "push through".

Most importantly, enjoy the process and set small goals at first. The Couch to 5k program is excellent.

Happy running!

Kim

Kim S.
on 6/29/11 6:09 am
Topic: RE: Wednesday Workouts!!!
Running tonight!! 

Kim S.
on 6/29/11 6:08 am
Topic: RE: Scared to Death
 Just show up on race day.  You'll be fine.  You will see people there that can do even less than you.  Give yourself permission to go as far as you can and then to leave if you need to--I'll bet you'll see that finish line--the only person you are racing against is you.

Enjoy it and congratulations!!

Kim