Kim S.’s Posts

Kim S.
on 6/28/11 11:14 pm
Topic: RE: Help please
I was bigger than you, 45 years old with arthritis already in my knees....and I was able to do it--you can too!

The main thing it takes is desire. Make sure you invest in a good pair of running shoes from a running store.....not a sports store.  You need to be properly fitted.

Then, start slow.  It took me over a year to be able to run 2 miles non-stop.  Listen to your body--if you feel joint pain, walk for a while.  You will get to the point where you KNOW which pain means stop, and which pain you can "push through".

Most importantly, enjoy the process and set small goals at first. The Couch to 5k program is excellent.

Happy running!

Kim

Kim S.
on 6/28/11 11:09 pm
Topic: RE: Wednesday Workouts!!!
Running tonight!! 

Kim S.
on 6/28/11 11:08 pm
Topic: RE: Scared to Death
 Just show up on race day.  You'll be fine.  You will see people there that can do even less than you.  Give yourself permission to go as far as you can and then to leave if you need to--I'll bet you'll see that finish line--the only person you are racing against is you.

Enjoy it and congratulations!!

Kim

Kim S.
on 6/27/11 11:02 pm
Topic: RE: Tuesday workouts
Run when I get home and P90X+ core

Kim S.
on 6/27/11 10:55 pm
Topic: RE: A little piece of advice....
Duly noted!  Glad the helmet did it's job--heal quickly my friend!

Kim

Kim S.
on 6/27/11 12:27 am
Topic: RE: monday workouts
P90X+ upper body when I get home from work

Ab 200 too

Kim S.
on 6/26/11 11:15 pm
Topic: RE: Exercise Help
I am so proud of you for taking control of your health at such a young age!  I wish I'd done that, and had the support to do it.

The one thing I can't stress enough is EXERCISE.  It really has to become part of your life, everyday.  Find things you like to do:  running, weight training, yoga, hiking, swimming, biking, etc.  These are the things you will stick with--if you don't enjoy it, you wont keep doing it. 

I mix running, power walking, yoga and P90X for most of my workouts.  In the Fall/Winter/Spring I also do long strenuous hikes...which I adore!  I've been a regular exerciser now for 3 years.....because I found things I love to do so I keep doing them.

It really is simple science:  Consume less than you burn=lose weight.  It SOUNDS simple, but it is hard to practice.  You have to find foods that will keep you full so you don't get hungry.  The closer a food is to its natural state, the better it is for you.  For instance, a fresh apple is better than canned apple.  Fresh grilled chicken is better than fried chicken. 

If you can, eat 6 mini-meals a day.  Do you know about good nutrition?  If you don't, please read some books on the subject, or see a nutritionist.  It is important to learn about good fuel for your body.  Does that mean you should never eat fast food or cookies?  Absolutely not.  If those things are important to you, you should have them in limited amounts.  You shouldn't think of food as "evil".  Food is food, and you should (within reason) have what you want.  You just need to make sure you have more quality food than processed food.  And I promise the more quality food you eat, the more your body will demand it.

Audrey, you can do this.  First you must love yourself and put yourself first.  Be selfish when it comes to your health.  If your friends want to veg out and play video games and it is time for you to go run, invite them along with you, or leave them behind while you take care of you.  You are worth it!!!

I wish you much success and we are here if you need us.

Kim

Kim S.
on 6/24/11 3:58 am
Topic: RE: Hi exercise people. I need help.
Thanks Sugah!!

Kim S.
on 6/24/11 1:17 am
Topic: RE: Hi exercise people. I need help.
Amen Nate!  Any doctor that tells you "stop exercising" is a moron in my opinion.  Put the scale away.  Exercise daily--weigh once a week.  I exercised 6x a week since 6 months before my surgery (cardio and weight training).  I lost consistently.  I am in maintenance now for 14 months.  Not one lb regained....and I eat and drink what I want (within reason of course) and I DO NOT DIET.

I look fabulous (at least I think I do!!) and most importantly--------I FEEL THE BEST I HAVE IN MY LIFE!  I am strong, have tons of energy and can do anything--I no longer wake up with aches and pains.

My sister had VSG 2 months before my RNY.  She lost weight, but doesn't exercise (she has serious back issues) and is  basically a smaller version of her former self.  I am transformed from a health standpoint.

Please, please, please do not get discouraged.  You may need to up your calories (in protein and complex carbs) on the days you workout.  Add 200 on those days.  I promise it will work.

Kim

Kim S.
on 6/23/11 11:28 pm
Topic: RE: TGIF Workouts!
Rest day!

Kim S.
on 6/22/11 1:14 am
Topic: RE: Great resource for fitness
Thanks for sharing!

Kim S.
on 6/22/11 12:25 am
Topic: RE: Wednesday Workouts
Maybe legs and back?  P90X.....something with weights since I'll run again tomorrow morning.

Kim

Kim S.
on 6/21/11 11:58 pm
Topic: RE: Jogging vs Running
Repeat after me:  I AM A RUNNER, I AM A RUNNER!!

My old slow ass is always going to be a "slow" runner, but I'm a runner none the less.  The heart is pumping, I'm sweating and I'm moving faster than a walk, slower that the youngsters on the path, and at a pace that I enjoy...........which is key to me continuing to do it long term....I'm in my 2nd year now, so I guess I've found the recipe for success (for me).

Happy running!!

Kim

Kim S.
on 6/21/11 11:53 pm
Topic: RE: My Biggest Fear!!!!
As a mother of a bride (wedding 09/10/11) who needs to lose weight, I'll give you some tough but honest motherly advice.  And I mean it from the heart as someone who has walked many miles in your shoes.

What I read in this post is EXCUSES.  Desire to be healthy and thin is one thing, but the MOTIVATION to do it has to come from within YOU.   When you decide that your health is important enough to get off that couch, you'll do something about it.  YOU CAN DO HARD THINGS.  Yes, it will be painful, and yes, it will be hard, but you are worth it.  Find your happiness now (losing weight WILL NOT guarantee happiness) and love yourself first, regardless of what number is on a scale or the label of your jeans.

Saggy skin after weight loss is far easier to deal with than an over sized aching body.  I know.  I've lived both lives.  As a matter of fact, I have some skin, but since I exercised during the entire losing process and I have good genes, I really don't have that bad of a skin situation, and I lost 170 lbs!  You can always have plastics to fix those issues, or wear good shape wear.

You are young.  You deserve to have an amazing life in a healthy body.  Please do what is necessary to get there.  Build a support system.  Ask your fiancee to work out with you (it will be better in the long run if you both live the same healthy lifestyle).  My husband is my biggest cheerleader and he runs with me.

As for my daughter, I agreed to train her if she would be serious about it and NO WHINING.  She agreed, and has done amazing things in a short amount of time.  She didn't think she could run, but she does.  She didn't think she could do P90X, but she does.

Challenge yourself and be the woman you want to be.  You are worth it.  And please don't wait until you are 44 like I did--life isn't dress rehearsal--you only get one shot--make the best of it.

I wish you much inspiration and success.

Kim

Kim S.
on 6/21/11 4:33 am
Topic: RE: Whats next
I'll bet you can do it with ease!  And if you decide that is your max, then your goals will be same length races in great places around the world!

And yeah, the heat in Atlanta is brutal...they have the same weather as us.  Drink lots before the race, and of course, during.

Kim

Kim S.
on 6/21/11 4:30 am
Topic: RE: Motivation While Exercising
Sooo proud of you for making exercise a priority!!! 

When I'm running, I get into the scenery and the music on my ipod.  If I feel like stopping, and I'm not at a point where I'd generally walk, I pick a point down the path and tell myself I must get there.....when I get there I must count to 10 before I can stop.  By then, I've forgotten that I was going to stop!  I also visualize myself in my cutest outfits.....that makes me honest because I know I can't wear them if I gain weight.

When I'm doing P90X, and I'm wiped out, I set the number reps I have to do to a low number, but I up the weight amount....it is a mental thing...I'm still working as hard, but my breaks between sets are longer so I can endure more.

Keep up the great work!

Kim

Kim S.
on 6/20/11 11:57 pm
Topic: RE: Treadmill at home - what/where/how
I invested in a good running treadmill when I was pre-op and I still use it now but only when the weather wont let me run outdoors......I'm wih the ohers.....get some good running shoes (even if you are just walking) and take it outdoors....it does wonders for the body and soul.

Congrats to you for starting this positive change in your life now.  I started 6 months before surgery and it made my recovery soooo much better.

We are here if you need us!

Kim

Kim S.
on 6/20/11 11:54 pm
Topic: RE: Tuesday Workouts
Got a 6 a.m. quickie 2 mile run in before the brain frying heat set in.....cutting grass for a friend this evening........it will be miserable hot, but at least I'll sweat out some fat, right???!!!!!

Kim

Kim S.
on 6/20/11 12:23 am
Topic: RE: Monday Workouts!
P90X upper body and abs when I get home today

Kim S.
on 6/17/11 6:39 am
Topic: RE: Q&A - just for fun
1)  Every Friday morning

2) Meat/eggs--don't use any protein supplements, never have

3) Annually and he does labs then

4)  Still trying to master the freaking pull ups!!

Have a great weekend!

Kim S.
on 6/17/11 6:37 am
Topic: RE: Eating after working out
Yup, what Nate said.  Generally after exercise the hunger you feel is real.  Feed that poor starving body!! (no Oreos!)

Kim

Kim S.
on 6/17/11 1:15 am
Topic: RE: TGIF Workouts!

Rest day!!  Yeay!

Kim S.
on 6/15/11 11:03 pm
Topic: RE: Thursday Workouts
I'll get in a very hot solo run of 4 miles when I get home from work.

Kim

Kim S.
on 6/15/11 11:02 pm
Topic: RE: Could any of you help share your advice and experience?
Being accountable to someone else is important for me.  I started exercising during my 6 month supervised diet pre-surgery because my husband told me that if I was going to do this, I had to make a complete change.  I was accountable to him to prove I could change.

I did not like exercise at first, and it really took me about 2 years for it to become habit and something I truly enjoy.  The key is to set goals and find activities you really like to do.  I will not stick with something I don't like.  I've narrowed my "fun" exercises down to jogging, hiking, yoga and P90X.  I also know I will not go somewhere to exercise, so I set up a home gym in my basement.

Once I accomplished goals and became stronger, exercise became part of my life.  I also changed things in my daily life like using the stairs and parking far away from the building. 

I post on this site daily of what my exercise will be when I get home from work--even if I don't want to do it (which is rare now) I still make myself because I somehow feel accountable to the group and don't want to let them down.

Kim

Kim S.
on 6/14/11 11:58 pm
Topic: RE: Trail Running
I'm an avid hiker, and I don't think I could remain upright if I tried running on the trails....If I look up at a tree I always trip over roots and rocks!  Have a great time!!

Kim

Most Active