Kim S.’s Posts

Kim S.
on 5/21/13 3:15 am
Topic: RE: Crossfit?

I go to boot camp style classes that incorporate many cross fit exercises.  The difference is our trainers modify for all physical limitations.  So whereas I'm a "veteran" and have to do the high intensity version of exercises, those with injuries or limitations are shown at least 2 other things they can do. 

I've heard most Crossfit classes are pretty hard core and you are expected to be able to keep up?  If that is the case, then maybe try to find a place that offers the same style exercises, but in a more modified, individualized format.

Hang in there, and give yourself time to heal properly.

Kim S.
on 5/20/13 3:24 am
Topic: RE: Need recommendation for dumbbell workouts

I used Beachbody.com Power 90 when I first started exercising.  You can use a resistance band or weights with the DVD.

Kim S.
on 5/20/13 3:22 am
Topic: RE: Working out at the park

Walking lunge squats, pull ups on monkey bars, incline push ups with a bench, tricep dips on a bench--no one will think you are a creeper if your child is with you.....I do these things all the time at the walking trail.....

Kim S.
on 5/1/13 12:47 am
Topic: RE: Hump Day Workouts!

Boot camp tonight after work!

Kim S.
on 5/1/13 12:46 am
Topic: RE: Tuesday workouts

Monday I went to boot camp, yesterday I did P90X arms, shoulders and abs.

Kim S.
on 5/1/13 12:45 am
Topic: RE: Can someone help me please...

Start with regular walking, then advance to power walking.  Your first goal should be a 15 minute mile.  Just make sure your surgeon's office has cleared you for exercise (which can be done with a phone call).

Try to get over the gym fear.  Most people ARE NOT interested in you and what you are doing, they are concentrating on their own workout.  And, most people have major respect when an overweight or out of shape person shows up!

Kim S.
on 5/1/13 12:42 am
Topic: RE: Traveling and change of climate while training

Alaska in June.........COLOR ME JEALOUS!

I'm not a serious athlete like you, but I know when I travel the weather always factors into my workouts.  In Alaska in June you should be able to be outdoors quite a bit-the air is so clean there, you want to suck up as much as you can!  You are a true "Southerner" living here, so you'll get right back in the swing of it once you get back.  Think of it like this:  every Winter and then subsequent Summer we reaclimate....

When you go to Anchorage, there is a wonderful walking/running path down by the water--take advantage of it!  My DH and I walked it and subsequently walked the whole city-great walking city.

Kim S.
on 4/2/13 11:53 pm
Topic: RE: Wednesday workouts!

Sorry I've been MIA....was down for about 10 days with the upper respiratory crud....now I'm battling allergies!!

Monday I did boot camp

Tuesday I ran

Today, boot camp!

Kim S.
on 4/2/13 11:49 pm, edited 4/2/13 11:49 pm
Topic: RE: Do I suck at running??

Treadmill and outdoor running are two different animals....and in my humble opinion, the TM is much easier.  As Paul said, make sure you have good running shoes fitted at a running store.  Made a huge difference for me. 

As for being a "runner".  I am a runner!  I am 48 (in a month) with arthritis in both knees. Some days, like yesterday, when I set out to "run", I end up speed walking more than running because the knees have other ideas.  BUT I AM STILL A RUNNER.  Well, more of a trotter, really.  The longest race I've done is a 5k.  I have no dreams of doing a marathon-I know my limitations and accept them.  There are days when I can run 2 miles without stopping and others when I can barely walk and run 2 miles.

Bottom line, you've got my respect just for getting out there and TRYING.  And you know what?  Trying turns into DOING.  And that is the greatest accomplishment of all, you should be very proud.

On running in the cold:  put a scarf over your nose/mouth.  Really helps me, but I still have "runners cough" for several hours after a really cold run.

Kim S.
on 3/20/13 1:01 am
Topic: RE: When can you start working out?

I started regular exercise (cardio and weight training) 6 months before my surgery.  Therefore I was clear to start working out again within a couple weeks (light weights) but was told to walk as much as I could immediately after going home. For the 1st 6 months after surgery I mainly did power walking and Nautilus machines.

Currently I work out 4-6 days a week, doing P90X, boot camp, yoga, hiking or running.  I found things I enjoy doing so it doesn't feel like "work". 

Kim S.
on 3/20/13 12:58 am

I'll be sweating it out at boot camp tonight at 5:30!  What are you doing??

Kim S.
on 3/19/13 3:41 am
Topic: RE: I really don't feel like it!! but they say that's when you should????

Race for the Cure is an amazing experience!  I run it each year, and my daughter and her friends walk it.  It is good for all fitness levels.  You'll be so glad you did it.

Kim S.
on 3/19/13 3:39 am
Topic: RE: Tuesday Workouts!!

I'm gonna run with the grandpup after work today!

Kim S.
on 3/19/13 3:39 am
Topic: RE: Monday Monday- Workouts?

I did an hour of boot camp last night....BRUTAL.  All upper body weight work with some lunges and cardio in between sets.

Kim S.
on 3/11/13 8:08 am
Topic: RE: Monday workouts

Off to boot camp!

Kim S.
on 2/25/13 3:09 am
Topic: RE: Need advice on some workout gear!

Trial and error will help you find what you like.  For shoes, definitely go and get fitted at a running store.  It is worth every penny you pay for good running shoes.  I am a neutral shoe, and I wear Saucony. 

For clothes,depends on the season.  For cold weather, I prefer the cotton/spandex pants or capris and sports bra (LOVE Victoria's Secret VSX line) and a moisture wicking long sleeve shirt...and if it is really cold, I wear a sleeveless fleece vest, scarf, gloves and knit headband. 

For 50-70 degree range, I wear the same bottoms, sports bra/top with a zip up cotton jacket that I can remove and tie around my waist.

For the pits of hell summers we have here, I wear as little as possible so I don't offend the other runners.  Usually running skirts, or the loose running shorts with the built in panty and a t-back running bra/top....and yes, I just let my mid section hang out when I run in the summer.  I always wear a sweat band and carry my frog tog towel when running in summer.

I hate to wear regular t-shirts and always go sleeveless as soon as weather permits.

Oh!  socks....get good quality socks with lots of support.

Ipod loaded with great music and a water bottle and you are set to go!  Have fun!

Kim S.
on 2/25/13 2:55 am
Topic: RE: Monday Workouts.

1 hour of boot camp at 5:30 today

Kim S.
on 2/22/13 3:50 am
Topic: RE: New to the forum....

There are many wonderful, supportive people on this board.  Welcome.

Kim S.
on 2/19/13 1:52 am
Topic: RE: Manic Monday training

I had maniacal eating day Sunday........Monday went to boot camp.  The trainer really tried to kill us.

Kim S.
on 2/19/13 1:47 am
Topic: RE: Advice on treadmills for pre and recent post WLS

I invested in a good running treadmill the year I had my surgery...and I am very pleased with my purchase.  Sole has some models that will support 350+ lbs.

http://www.soletreadmills.com/treadmills.html

Kim S.
on 2/14/13 12:39 am
Topic: RE: liquid diet/excess skin

I never had to do a liquid diet before surgery, but was on one for a few days after surgery.  One thing I loved was egg drop soup and hot and sour soup....I just didn't eat the solid stuff in it.

Best wishes, and don't worry about being cranky...it isn't a guarantee-you might be so excited about your surgery that you'll be in a happy place!

Kim S.
on 2/14/13 12:20 am
Topic: RE: everyday is a workout day for me

An active lifestyle feels good, doesn't it??  Congrats on your success and your newfound energy!

Kim S.
on 2/14/13 12:18 am
Topic: RE: Thursday/Valentines Day workouts

Going to "feel the love" at boot camp tonight....hubby has a meeting so we'll go out to dinner this weekend.

Kim S.
on 2/6/13 12:56 am

Knee MUCH better today!  Going to boot camp at 5:30 today

Kim S.
on 2/5/13 1:03 am
Topic: RE: Tuesday workouts

I was supposed to run today....but took a beating in boot camp last night and my left knee is very angry....so I'll likely rest today or do some yoga.

Most Active