help needed

(deactivated member)
on 7/3/13 7:51 pm

I'm a nurse from Poland. I'm suffering from the morbid obesity science I remember. In my country there is a difficulty to undergo the bariatric surgeries, it's still not popular and the people do not have a knowladge about it. I'm trying to write a master thesis about the quality of life after bariatric surgeries. The main aim of it is to make a surgeries more popular by showing how life saving it is. It in NOT for any marketing reaserch or anything like that. I'm studying nursery on Jagiellonian University, the resulsts will be analysed and used in a masters thesis, and hopefully If I will get enought of respondents I will publish the results for the use of medical stuff in Poland. My opinion is that the feedbeck from the patients is the most valiable sourse of how the procedures are recieved. I kindly request your help in conducting research aimed at improving the quality of life of people after bariatric surgery. The questionnaire is anonymous. The questionaire contains 39 questions it takes about 10-15 min. It is very important to answer all of them. Please help me to help other people who struggle with obesity. http://moje-ankiety.pl/respond-49823.html
pouchregrets
on 8/25/13 3:14 pm

please message me if you would like to hear about all the ways my quality of life is destroyed forever after having gastric bypass surgery. 

I can't afford a body lift surgery and I know that you are warned that you might need one, but they are expensive and I  think it's important that people REALLY know what it's like to live with your body deformed after the surgery. It is, in my opinion a thousand times worse and more shameful than being obese because the look is so unnatural. I am glad to be smaller but what does it matter when I have to wear stockings and tight long sleeves everywhere I go. Forever. 

I got my surgery a long time ago and I have always been too ashamed to draw attention to my arms, but I finally want to share my story with other people. 

I can tell you want to make your thesis about all the ways your life will improve, but you might want to hear from the other side as well. 

cookquint
on 8/29/13 12:42 pm

My name is Maria Teresa I going to tell you what I am going through as a result of the parascopy, gastro bi-pass or bariatric surgery (reduction of the stomach) that I had in 2003.

I was operated of the stomach in September 2003 weighed 200 pounds, my high is 5'3 feet, I have difficult  to lose weight easily, within 4 weeks of the surgery I had dropped only 15 pounds and had hardly eaten anything. I was under liquid diet, gelatin and nothing more, after 15 days the surgeon put me in a soft diet purees, and beans, lentils, mush potatoes and soft stuff.

Within 4 weeks I try to eat a fried egg and lettuce salad, I almost dying It stuck in my esophagus and couldn’t pass it (eat it); for 3 years I was eating and throwing up for no reason, could be rice, a Tostitos or chips at the end for anything, when I least expected and anywhere, anything could be stuck in my trough, I was like a anorexic person but not wanting to be so.

My husband was very disappointed with me, because he never wanted that I got the stomach surgery, because the complications that could have in the future and which at the time that I got my surgery, this procedure started becoming popular (bariatric surgery). But we “women” wants’ to look good and this prototype that the skinny girl looks more beautiful I did it (I still think the same way).

For nearly 3 years I had in weighing 145 pounds, but it almost always after I eat  I had that go to the bathroom to throwing  up, after this episodes I try to hide my sickness  but when I coming out of the bathroom trying to disguise what I had, only my husband realized what I was going thorough.

After a while I have not had more throwing  up problems to pass the food, but then started the suddenly low sugar and high sugar episodes, health problems of suddenly low and high blood pressure without apparent reason.

I went to the doctor many times and explained my case and blood tests only show than my average of insulin in the 3 last months is under (56).

I am very frustrate because my body asking me for sugar to compensate the low sugar in my system, I was eating something sweet or bread and rice, for that I've gaining weight.

Because an article of the Mayo Clinic I learned that is the contrary, I must not eat sweet or white carbohydrates because after 2 hours low my sugar more. Now I’m weighing 186 pounds.

I have not found reports of suddenly variations in blood pressure as happened to me, I can go form 175 with 110 blood pressure to lower my pressure until 75 with 35 I was feeling like lifeless, my husband gave me a lot of coffee and still in the hospital my blood pressure was 80 to 40 as I already explain, I have not found reports of this blood pressure changes on the internet.

I would like my case published on the internet to be know what people like me are going through and also to communicate with people like me with the same symptoms of the disease and can be able to exchange information.

Plus if this is published and will help as information for another people thinking to have the gastro bi-pass or bariatric surgery, may know that the operation of the stomach is not a final solution and it brings you consequences who will risk your life, I've been in the hospital in emergency at least five times after my operation, and the reason I have had to stay in the hospital , has always been by my blood pressure or my sugar, not for the reason that had gone to the hospital (pneumonia , asthma, broken arm) just other reasons that have nothing to do with sugar or blood pressure.

Please publish my case so that other people read to take an important decision, which will have consequences for your lifetime and can bring consequences of life or death.

Last 07/14/2013 I pass out at home was 5AM in the morning and my Blood pressure was 55 with 35 my sugar was 40, my husband call 911 and they took me to the hospital with my vital sings in a dangerous levels.  I stayed there for 3 days and the doctor’s conclusion was that everything was consequence of my gastro by pass and the only thing that I can do is be careful with my diet and see a GI doctor and a Endocrinology to try to live with my problem.

Maria Teresa Quintero

Websites about the hypoglycemia after the gastro bypass they are very interesting and helpful.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/468882-delayed-hypoglycemi a-gastric-bypass/

http://www.weightlosstriumph.com/treatment-of-hyperinsulinem ic-hypoglycemia-after-gastric-bypass.html

http://www.livestrong.com/article/402727-hypoglycemia-caffei ne/

http://www.livestrong.com/article/754-facts-dangers-gastric- bypass-surgery/?utm_source=dontgo2&utm_medium=a1

I found this information in the Internet I hope this will be helpful for someone

From Mayo clinic web page 

NIPHS

Mayo Clinic doctors have recognized and reported on a seemingly rare but serious complication following gastric bypass called non-insulinoma pancreatogenous hypoglycemia syndrome (NIPHS) or post-bariatric surgery hypoglycemia. After a person eats, this condition can result in very low blood sugar levels that lead to severe neurologic symptoms, including visual disturbances, confusion and (rarely) seizures.

Mayo Clinic doctors have evaluated and treated several patients with NIPHS. When medical and diet therapies do not work, surgical removal of part of the pancreas has resulted in marked improvement of symptoms for most patients. If the symptoms described above occur, patients should notify their physician immediately. Until this condition is controlled, patients should avoid driving motorized vehicles or performing tasks that could affect the safety of those around them.

ANOTHER REPORT OF THE NIPHS

European Congress of Endocrinology 2009

Istanbul, Turkey
25 April 2009 - 29 April 2009
European Society of Endocrinology

Bottom of Form

Endocrine Abstracts (2009) 20 P315

Non-insulinoma pancreatogenic hypoglycemia syndrome (NIPHS): recently described disease entity: case report

Aldona Kowalska, Iwona Palyga, Danuta Gasior-Perczak, Jacek Sygut, Janusz Sluszniak & Stanislaw Gozdz

Holycross Cancer Centre, Kielce, Poland.

Introduction: Case reports of individuals with non-insulinoma hyperinsulinic hypoglcaemia of organic origin has been more frequently described in literature. This syndrome has been described as a rare complication of bariatric surgeries and the term of NIPHS (non-insulinoma pancreatogenic hypoglycemia syndrome) has been proposed.

Aim: The aim of our study is to present patients case who had previously undergone the gastric surgery. Bilroth II and finally diagnosed of NIPHS.

Case description: A 45-year-old man who had previously undergone gastric surgery, was refered to our hospital for evaluation of hypoglycemia. At the beginning, the patient experienced only episodes of postprandial hypoglycaemia and subsequently episodes of fasting hypoglycaemia appeared. Diagnostic imaging including ultrasound, CT, Octreoscan and EUS were negative for the patient. Post-operative changes and chronic pancreatitis impeded the interpretation of obtained results. Farmacological treatment with Proglicem or somatostatine analogues led only to transient improvement in control of hypoglycemic status.

Because pharmacological treatment was ineffective patient undergone partial pancreatectomy.

Finally the diagnosis of NIPHS has been established based on postoperative histological diagnosis established after partial pancreatectomy.

Conclusion: 1. NIPHS must always be considered in differential diagnosis of adult patients with hypoglycaemia.

2. NIPHS may occur not only in patients after bariatric surgeries but also after gastric surgeries caused by peptic ulcer.

Endocrine Abstracts (2009) 20 P315                                                                                                                       

Noninsulinoma pancreatogenous hypoglycemia syndrome

AuthorF John Service, MD, PhD

Section EditorDavid M Nathan, MD

Deputy EditorJean E Mulder, MD

INTRODUCTION

The noninsulinoma pancreatogenous hypoglycemia syndrome (NIPHS) identifies a group of hyperinsulinemic hypoglycemic patients with unique clinical, diagnostic, surgical, and pathologic features [1,2]. These patients experience predominantly postprandial hypoglycemia and have nesidioblastosis with islet cell hypertrophy, findings different from those in patients with insulinomas.

The clinical manifestations, diagnosis, pathological findings, and treatment of NIPHS will be reviewed here. Other causes of hypoglycemia and how to differentiate among these causes are reviewed elsewhere. (See "Overview of hypoglycemia in adults" and "Diagnostic approach to hypoglycemia in adults".)

DEFINITION

Noninsulinoma pancreatogenous hypoglycemia is a syndrome characterized by endogenous hyperinsulinemic hypoglycemia that is not caused by an insulinoma. Pancreatic specimens from such patients show beta cell hypertrophy, islets with enlarged and hyperchromatic nuclei, and increased periductular islets [1-3]. These histologic findings are characteristic of nesidioblastosis, a term that refers to neoformation of islets of Langerhans from pancreatic duct epithelium [4]. The pathologic findings are similar to those seen in neonates and infants with persistent hyperinsulinemic hypoglycemia. (See "Pathogenesis, clinical features, and diagnosis of persistent hyperinsulinemic hypoglycemia of infancy", section on 'Pathology of the beta cell'.)

CLINICAL FEATURES

It is usually not difficult to distinguish insulinoma from noninsulinoma pancreatogenous hypoglycemia syndrome (NIPHS) considering the timing of symptoms, gender preference (male predominance), and radiologic localization study results. Pathologic findings can confirm the presence of nesidioblastosis, which is the typical finding in patients with NIPHS and is only rarely described as a concomitant finding in patients with insulinoma [5,6].

Symptoms — The predominant clinical feature of noninsulinoma pancreatogenous hypoglycemia syndrome (NIPHS) is postprandial hypoglycemia. In a series of 18 patients from the Mayo Clinic, age range 16 to 78 years old with male predominance (70 percent), symptoms occurred postprandially, two to four hours after meals, and only rarely while fasting [1,2]. All patients had neuroglycopenic symptoms, and several lost consciousness or had generalized seizures. In smaller series and case reports, a similar preponderance of postprandial hypoglycemia and male predominance was noted [7-13]. However, fasting hypoglycemia has also been reported [13-15].

Most Active