need help with Container Gardening!!

B.J.
on 5/21/05 4:58 am - Rehoboth Beach, DE
After two years of dismal crops from our backyard vegetable garden due to lack of full sunlight in any one spot . . . I've decided to try my hand at container gardening this year. Anyone have any suggestions for planting tomatoes in containers? Thanks. -BJ
Gramsto3
on 5/23/05 1:37 am - Grand Rapids, MI
We have been planting tomatoes for years in containers and they have done great. We buy the big square containers (we find they don't tip as easy as the round ones that tend to get a little top heavy). I fill the containers up with Miracle Grow potting soil (this year I used the one that has moisture crystals added to it). I also added just about a half teaspoon of Osmocote fertilizer to each container. I then put in two plants per container as well as one or two spices (basil, oregano, rosemary all work well). I use a square tomatoe case and stake each plant up. We find we have far less critters, mold and damage to the plants and the tomatoes taste just as good as the ones in the ground. Last year we tried what they call patio tomatoes and I didn't care for their taste. This year we went back to Big Boys, Early Girls, Rugers, Brandywine, Better Boy, we also do grape and roma tomatoes. Hope this helps, good luck.
B.J.
on 5/23/05 6:24 am - Rehoboth Beach, DE
Thanks for your reply! Do you think that a 5-gallon container will be large enough for a tomato plant? I have access to tons of drywall buckets in that size. I will line them with plastic trash bag first to make sure any pre-existing toxins don't leach into the potting soil, and drill holes for drainage around the bottom sides. I can't wait to eat some homegrown tomatoes, mmmmmmm!!!! -BJ
jmilner
on 6/14/05 11:23 pm - Anywhere, MD
Until this year - container gardening was the ONLY kind I ever did. I hope my answer doesn't come too late for you. I changed this year because I got married, and my wife thinks two dozen containers in the back yard looks tacky. All I can say is, get great soil, DEEP containers, stakes to prop 'em up, watch carefully for blossom rot or pests. One year I had an enormous problem with bugs, but I got a harmless spray that did the job. Keep an eye on your plants during dry spells and hot days. Tomatoes need a bit more watering than most plants, and I watered nearly every day. Once they start growing and producing fruit, cut off the low branches not producing any tomatoes, because they'll needlessly sap the plant's strength. Consider moving your containers from time to time to get the optimal sunlight. Unfortunately, this is trial and error.
JudyG
on 8/14/05 10:43 am - God's Country, ME
Sprinkle a dusting of Epsom salts in the soil around the plants and you will see your crop almost double. My father-in-law taught me that and I was amazed at the difference. Works just as well on peppers also. Judy
Phil D.
on 2/13/06 6:38 am - Des Moines, IA
Better late than never. Try Earthbox.com. I got one of these last year , planted 2 tomato plants in it and I was giving tomatoes away left and right! Just remember to water it once or twice a day. You can't over water it. I'm getting another this year to plant some peppers. Reall, people swear by them. Phil
Lynne M.
on 7/6/06 4:17 am - Manassas, VA
I have to container grow tomatos, also because of a HUGE black walnut tree in a neighboring yard. I could grow beautiful plants but no fruit. *#%!#* tree!! I do well with the 5 gallon buckets. I poked about 6-8 holes (with a large screw driver) about an inch from the bottom all around. I tried 3 different varieties, a roma, cherry and a "patio" hybris. I'm just seeing some color on my maters now. Lynne
Most Active
Recent Topics
VINES FOR NORTHERN MINNESOTA
Jlyynn · 0 replies · 507 views
Veggie Garden
Rilabie_Chime · 0 replies · 321 views
What do you like to grow??
NewJen · 14 replies · 622 views
Tons of Spring Energy
NewJen · 5 replies · 376 views