OT: Need some opinions... Phoenix vs. Seattle vs. California

RainbowRN
on 9/11/13 6:55 am - OH
RNY on 03/12/13

Right now I live in Ohio. I have lived here all my life. I absolutely hate it here and I am so sick of it.   My wife and I have had plans to move out of state for awhile now.  The plan has been to move to Phoenix next summer.  My brother lives there and I would love to be closer to him.  Plus we wanna move somewhere that it doesn't snow very much.  Cost of living in Phoenix is similar to here in Cleveland.  Here's the problem, Phoenix is a red state and gay marriage is not legal there.  My wife and I were married in Canada last year so our marriage is not legal here in the states. 

We are rethinking our plans and don't want to take a step back by moving to a red state with no LGBT equality.

Out of all the states where gay marriage is legal...there are only 2 in which it doesn't snow alot.  California and Washington.  California is OUT!!  Cost of living is way too expensive there otherwise that would be our first choice.  We have both visited California before and LOVE IT but toooooo expensive!!  So that leaves Washington.  If we moved to Seattle we could get legally married and have the same rights as heterosexuals couples.  It would be so nice to have equality. Problem is that we don't know anyone there and it would be an all new experience.  I'm all up for that but it would be scary at the same time. 

We have a fantastic relationship. Been together for almost 6 years and no problems in our relationship at all.  I'm not afraid to move thousands of miles away with her but we are both nervous about not knowing anyone out there.  Plus we have never even visited Washington.  We have seen lots of pics!  LOL :) Visiting is not a possibilty.  Long story short, if we move to Seattle we will not be able to visit first.  It will be a blind move. I would go out there to get a job and find someplace to live first but that would be my first visit out there.  That kinda scares me.

I am an RN so i am not concerned about finding a job anywhere.  RN's are pretty much in high demand everywhere. 

So does anyone here live in Washington or know anyone who does? What's your opinion on the state?  Anyone make a huge move to the unknown?  How did it go?  I'm just curious to hear others opinions.  We have been talking to our friends and family and of course everyone is talking about how far away it is.

HW: 373 GW: 170 HT: 5'10"

DeidreB
on 9/15/13 11:52 pm

Hello - I just found this forum and thought I would respond to your post as it is a bit slower than the other forums.

I'm in Canada, and I would love to visit phoenix and/or live in a warmer climate, although Toronto is a lot further south than most of the country.

Seattle is a lot like Vancouver - rainy but mild.  I'm also for being as close to family as possible particularly if there might be children in your future.   Who knows maybe you and your partner will be the swing votes that make the red state a blue one.

Cheers

Amy, Daredevil
Extraordinaire

on 9/24/13 4:05 am - Los Angeles, CA
DS on 08/06/13

I've only been to Seattle twice in my life, but I loved it! It reminds me a lot of San Francisco.

If you don't mind the rain, it might be a good choice.

As for going somewhere completely new, I've done it. And loved it! (I moved to Los Angeles 8 years ago without knowing anybody). I joined some social groups and met people through Craigslist. And I love it here! But I would move to a brand new city in a heartbeat (if I didn't own my house now!) I think it's exciting to live in a whole new city!

Good luck!

*DS with Dr. Ara Keshishian on 08/06/13* SW: 231 CW: 131 GW: 119 * Check out My YouTube Channel: AmysDSJourney *

(deactivated member)
on 10/6/13 1:50 pm

Hi there...just came across your post.  I live in the Seattle area, Redmond to be specific.  I'm an RN working in critical care.  My partner got a job at Microsoft and we moved up here from the Bay Area about 3 years ago.  As an experienced nurse, I had no problem getting a job.  I work on the Eastside, literally across Lake Washington, only a dozen or so miles from Seattle. 

When we moved up here, we each had visited only once before and not together.  I think the Seattle area is a lovely place to live -- it's gorgeous year round and there are plenty of things to do.  They talk about the "Seattle Ice," this kind of cold indifference.  Sure, some people are like that but we have found a nice core group of friends. 

Feel free to contact me one off if you have any questions.

Rachel

Most Active
Recent Topics
Hi I'm new on here
Zellawillfly · 2 replies · 355 views
No activity!
Corey150 · 0 replies · 925 views
RNY Surgery date closing in
missymoomoo12 · 1 replies · 1301 views