When to Swing

Skinny1
on 4/1/05 6:58 am - St. Louis Park, MN
Hello all: I am having surgery April 25th, just about the official start of the golf season in Minnesota. How soon after surgery have you returned to golf? I figure I might be able to walk with my friends from league for a while, but I know I'll want to swing a club? Your experience will be valuable! Thanks. Mary
Dave
on 4/21/05 6:29 am - Palmyra, VA
Mary: I had lap RNY on March 21. I played my first round last Saturday morning (shot an 85 - not too bad for only 5 rounds last year). I was playing about 90 full rounds a year (a true 6 handicap****il I got so big I couldn't comfortably play or walk around the course. My surgeon said I could have played the week before but it was chilly and little league baseball games got in the way. If you're having an open surgery, I'd wait at least 6-8 weeks before doing anything. You can putt around but I would not recommend swinging a club. You need to have your surgeon release you to do something like that and after I had a previous surgery, 6-8 weeks was about right and what was recommended. Even then you have to be feeling better and I bet you still will be sore. Good luck! Dave
Skinny1
on 4/21/05 1:07 pm - St. Louis Park, MN
Thanks, Dave. I am having lap surgery, so I'm hoping my recovery will be rather swift. I also won't try 18 holes for a while. (Actually, I think all golf courses should be about 13 holes, 9 isn't enough, and 18 is too many.) I'm wondering if losing weight will affect my golf either positively or negatively. I've always had a lot of power behind my swing. I have to believe I won't tire as easily walking the course. One of my leagues started last Tuesday, but in true Minnesota fashion it was raining at tee time. An 85 on the first round of the year is something to celebrate. I hope you get out a great deal more this summer. Mary
scmcdunn
on 5/24/05 4:00 pm - Schaumburg, IL
Mary, How are you coming along? I'm having my surgery 5/31 and by biggest complaint is that it's in the middle of golf season! I'm hoping to only miss 3 weeks so I'll be interested on when your up and swinging again. Have a quick recovery! Sue McD
Most Active
Recent Topics
Support Group in PA
judytorre · 0 replies · 823 views
Edmonton Golf
Frenchie_1234 · 0 replies · 357 views
anybody watching the Masters?
olivija24 · 0 replies · 338 views
Got a new set of clubs!
Dave · 6 replies · 422 views