Getting back on...

penthilisea
on 4/23/06 9:39 am - Milford, NJ
Well, I haven't set a hard and fast rule of what weight I will get back on my horse at. I stopped around 275 lbs. I'm only 3 weeks out (less actually) down about 20lbs and getting closer to 275. How should I get back on? How much and what shoudl I do to rehab me? I was thinking start with just bareback walking in the ring after my friend rides, with TALL hubby at my side. I am terrified to get on bareback but I used to w/t/c all bareback, less then 8 years ago. I'm just scared overall. It's been less then a year since i last rode... but.
* Nicole *
on 4/27/06 4:19 am
Hi Beth, I would say bareback would be the worst choice for getting back on a horse with, The amount of balance required alone, and with your body going to be constantly changing, so does your center of gravity. And then even worse is that you state you are scared to get on bareback. Don't do it cause one wrong thing may really scar you from riding again. I would advise start in a saddle. Depending on your preference. Me I started right back into english. Mainly because you require yourself to have better posture and make you work muscles you would if you were riding bareback. Not including english saddles are far lighter. And this would be good for both you and the horse. And for me it had been close to 8 years since I rode, and yes I got on my ex-racer Thoroughbred mare. I look at it this way horseback riding is like riding a bike you never forget but you get rusty and need to get back into it, and things will really start coming back. Well for starters use a mounting block when you go to get back on. I always hated them myself, but untill I rehab a bad left knee, I aint haulin my butt on that horse. As for weight to me it truely depends on the breed and build of the horse you will be riding. But I would say wait atleast 2 months before getting on. You need to allow your body time to do some healing. And for starters only ride for 10-15 min at a time in the begining. Don't over do it, reaccustom yourself to the feeling, not including you will be getting much smaller in weight. Also stick to the same horse we all know a good bond means everything, and trust builds confidence. And confidence makes us better riders and makes horses very willing partners. Also just start with walking. Gradually build up to a light trot, I say save the centering till you really have your groove back, But if you have a rocking horse canter, ah try it sooner. But my TB is gonna be a trip when I start to canter, that girl is packed with go. I hope this helps a little, Nicole
Most Active
Recent Topics
New to the Horse Forum
doloresd · 2 replies · 605 views
after a fall ?
chubbychic3 · 1 replies · 414 views
10 miles
eljayem · 2 replies · 446 views