Help!!!

CountryGirl7
on 11/29/12 10:41 pm - UT

Well I figured it was about time to get some help..... I probably should have gotten on and been proactive instead of reactive -- I found out I tore my ACL and would have to get surgery on my knee about 2 and a half months ago, also that i would be able to go back to work for 4 to 6 months.  Well I have a very high physically demanding job which helps me get in my exercise and i was able to consume more calories for the fact that my body need more fuel.. Now that I have became pretty much sedentary I have gained 15lbs back . Its hard from eating more to eating less and not being able to do hardly any physical activity, not just that but the emotional eating that i want to do now because i am depressed because I have not been able to do hardly anything from being laid up. any one have any suggestions I need help!!!!!

goldenhair
on 12/2/12 6:12 pm, edited 12/2/12 6:14 pm

Don't get depressed. Encourage yourself to be more active and eat as normal. There's nothing to worry about that as long as you are eating a well balanced and nutritious foods in MODERATION. Here are some tips to help you lose some weight:

- When eating out, have a snack at least an hour before you eat out, so that you will not be that hungry when its really time to eat.

- Practice portion control

- Eat slowly. Savor the flavor of the food you are eating. It takes 20 minutes for our brains to determine if you're already full.  

- Avoid eating in the original container. That's what plates are for.

- Eat all the food you love, but LESSEN your normal intake.

I hope this helps ;) Motivation comes within ourselves

tipoftheiceberg
on 1/31/13 3:29 am

First of all....it is wonderful that you are reaching out for support.   I applaud that you are recognizing you need help and you are seeking it.   You are not alone and the OH forum is a great way for you to find the support that you need.

I can identify with you about having a career that offers you the opportunity to move.  I was a RN for many years and "sitting" was never an option.  Now that I am taking a new career path I am much more sedentary and had to find activities that I enjoy doing..  Because of your limited mobility due to your knee issues integrating new activities may help.  Doing upper body with free weights, resistance bands or even grabbing a couple of soup cans will help with strength training.  You will be in physical therapy post op and there you will learn what you can and can not do.  If medically allowed, perhaps swimming or short walks can help in your recovery.  In physical therapy they  will encourage you to do some physical activity with the goal of eventual full or limited physical activity.  Do what you can....do not hurt yourself.

As we know comforting ourselves with food never helps in the long run.  Try to eat more protein this may help with the sugar cravings.  I know that you are "hurting" emotionally.  This is a moment in time.  Joy will come back ....call friends, family and others that will support, encourage you and show you love.  This time is an opportunity to explore other areas of interests.  You can finally read the books you saw on the NYT bestseller lists.  You can write your life's story.  You can listen to those meditation or motivational programs that you have stacked in the corner of your library.  Maybe you can organize your file cabinets or recipes that have been thrown in the draw.  This is you time.  A time to sit back and enjoy.

Most Active