Did anyone ever cheat on their pre-op diet?

Carlizle09
on 8/7/13 12:57 pm - UT
If you don't feel like reading this whole message just answer me this, did anyone cheat on their clear liquid diet? ....My 3rd day of my week long clear liquid diet is coming to and end. I do good all day long up until the afternoon and then im starving and desperate for something solid to chew. Today has been the hardest day for me. I live with in laws who brought home pizza for lunch. I get back from the dentist, open the fridge to get milk for my protein shake and BAM im hit will the most overwhelming smell of pizza. Its never smelled so good. I was in such a bad mood and frustrated after seeing and smelling that I slammed the frig and kick the door and cried a little as I made my nasty shake which I gagged on the whole time. Then when my husband went to eat dinner I cried to him and told him I couldn't take it anymore. Well I was bad tonight and had a slice of that pizza. Ughh has anyone else cheated before? Did i just screw myself over? Will my doctor be able to tell?
Newlifebeginings
on 8/9/13 8:38 pm

I am afraid of the same thing. I messed up my lower back sciatic nerve the day after I started the 14 day pre-op diet. We are only suppose to take acetaminophen. I have gone through almost a bottle in 9 days. I wasn't able to get in to my normal chiropractor so I went to a new one. I have been to this chiropractor five times. Wednesday I went to her but I was still in agony. This two week diet  according to my doctor is suppose to take care of our fatty livers. With all the  acetaminophen I have been taken I probably have made my liver diseased since  acetaminophen is one of the worst drugs for your liver. But tay said we can't have NSAIDS due to the bleeding chances.   I had some hydrocodone 10's from a while back and took one I was hoping it would knock me out like usual. No such luck I was so sick to my stomach. It did help my pain some. On Thursday I was able to get an appointment with my regular guy but not until afternoon. I had to go to work and work in an office at a computer all day. By the time I got upstairs to my desk I was in agony. We were having a food day at work that day. I brought a hydrocodone to work just in case. I have to be sure I am at my productivity standard before I go on leave for my surgery. I first took a 800 milligram Motrin which I know is against the rules. But desperate people do desperate things . It didn't' help very much so I decided I would take the hydrocodone so I ate a sausage McMuffin and took the pill. The lady that sit by me started saying this was probably an omen that I shouldn't go through with the surgery. Because now I have messed my self up and the probably wont let me have the surgery now. She went on and on. I started thinking maybe she is right it seems like every thing that can go wrong is. So I ending up eating some more than went and smoked three cigarettes after being quit for 7 months. Than I was like **** what am I doing, no this is not going to stand in my way of doing this. I'm fat I am going to die if I don't lose the weight. I want to be here and play with and see my grandkids grow up. All the acetaminophen I have taken has not made this two week diet clean me out like it is suppose to do so I went and got magnesium citrate and am hoping it will do the cleansing part and hopefully I will pass all the fasting labs Tuesday at pre-op and I will still get my surgery Wednesday. I will be completely devastated if I don;t  get to do it. I hope they will not detect the cigarettes the food and I hope and pray I have not messed up and made my liver stay fatty and I hope the  acetaminophen has not made it a diseased fatty liver. I want to start my new life Wednesday I've got grandkids to enjoy and play with I want to be able to get up and down and not have all these aches and pains being old and fat sucks big time.

bostonlass
on 8/14/13 12:35 am - MA
VSG on 08/27/13

I look at this two week diet as preparation for the rest of my life. It is a pre-op diet so just as I will wash myself the night before with their special soap, pack my cpap machine, take my meds, etc. I will follow this diet. I was tempted last night but went to bed and played Candy Crush instead.  I feel for you since I am able to eat real food (veggies and no carb frozen meal) but it's still tough when you see others eating pizza, iced cream. The thing is that I know I will feel like crap after I cheat and I don't want to screw this up. I have come so far, given up soda, caffeine, smoking, etc. to blow it in a two week period. YOu can do this!

Taggelera
on 8/1/16 11:07 pm
RNY on 08/12/16

Im reading all of your stories and assume you must be in the USA, here in Canada my doctor put me on a 4 week liquid diet, Glucerna shakes 5x day . 

I can have clear broth, fluids with no calories, sugar free jello, no fizzy anything and im diabetic. 

I foud the first day was hell but got through two weeks cheating a little over this time so far. Ive had a single raspberry from my garden, a slice of meat and a slice of cheese. 

I feel aweful for this and terribly guilty. 

I have 11 days left until surgery.

kyle_17512
on 9/22/13 2:15 pm - Chester, PA
How does anyone get through a 10 day
day protein drink fast.
I am just hungry and weak. I would not need a sleeve if I could drink 500 calories of protein 10 days.
Am I real the only one so weak?

I really feel like a piece of crap.
How all of you can do this and I just keep eating.
I can replace 2 meals a day tops. Thats 110 percent effort for this fat ass SOB.

Really am I the only guy who cant do it.
Tammy B.
on 10/9/13 5:46 am - Canada

do alot of the other stuff....sugar free popsicles, sugar free jello, broth....the ketones will kick in and you will stop feeling so hungry!1 good luck

spoiledrotten86
on 11/11/13 2:52 pm
RNY on 11/18/13
Hi I just read your post. I'm n the same boat. What's ur surgeon able to tell? I know u was scared
sarshe62
on 11/11/13 11:14 am

I am day 7 into my 2 weeks.   This has been the most struggle I have ever had with food.  I too have cheated, but have refrained form undoing everything.  Each day when I am absolutely at the end of my rope and my stomach hurts so much, I steal away to the kitchen and have a tablespoon of peanut butter.  This seems to work almost immediately.  I don't think I am doing too much harm as I am still losing weight.  Down 13lbs since I started 7 days ago.   Good luck, there is only a few days left.

Silversally746
on 11/11/13 1:34 pm

No, your doctor "will not be able to tell", no, "you did not just screw yourself over", yes, "I cheated in my two week liquid fast".

my cheat came on the night of my husbands retirement party, I ate a relatively small amount, and of the other 13 nights of my two week fast of protein shakes/liquids only,...here is what I did, it saved my sanity. I drank my two shakes, morning and mid afternoon. Then every night I ate an entire can of Progresso Weigh****chers endorsed soup. It was hot, it filled me up, it made me feel "normal" and best of all, it had the equivalent protein grams to the shake I was forgoing, AND it was LESS calories than the dreaded cold shake. The whole point to this liquid fast is actually two fold,...most importantly they, your surgeon, for your safety, wants you to shrink your liver as much as possible so that the team will be able to deftly move around it in surgery, even better able to "lift it " out of their way. Secondly, it is a preview for the patient as to what to expect, although I think this is stupid because after surgery it is so much easier, less crazy making, you have virtually NO appetite, at least I did not and for a good long time too!

Dont worry about your little transgression. 

gbradley626
on 11/11/13 2:13 pm
VSG on 11/18/13

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, and experiences.  I was really concerned that I messed things up for myself yesterday, by eating more than I should have.  It's a lesson learned, and I am not as worried now.  Thank you, again!!  :)

Most Active