Arkansas Medicaid Requirements
“Medicaid has coverage for Gastric Bypass surgery. They do not cover Lap Band surgery.
In order to receive Medicaid coverage, you must have the following:
1. 1. Be between the age of 16-60.
2. 2. Current Medicaid referral from your primary care physician.
3. 3. Be 100 pounds over ideal body weight.
4. 4. Morbid obesity must have existed for at least 5 years with complete documentation. Documentation must also indicate evidence that weight reduction was attempted under a physician’s supervision for a one year period during the last 18 months (this must be medical records of visits made to your physician along with a letter from your doctor).
5. 5. Recent photograph of the patient.
6. 6. Lab: AM serum cortisol level, TSH, T-3, T-4, fasting blood sugar.
7. 7. Psychiatric evaluation by a psychiatrist. They are looking for whether the patient has a realistic view of his/her situation, that they are capable of taking care of themselves, that they are self-sufficient and have no underlying psychiatric disease.”
I hope this is helpful to someone!