Jello

mickeysantiago
on 9/8/06 4:58 am - bayonne, NJ
I did not know there was an Islam message board, alhamdoolilah! Can anyone please tell me what you substitute Jello with since gelatin has some sort of pork and prohibited. What are some of the foods that I can have post op. I do not have a date yet.
Daydream_Believer
on 9/19/06 6:21 pm - Chalmette, LA
Assalamu Alaikum and welcome! Yes, unfortunately, Kraft Jell-O (all varieties) uses pork-derived gelatin. Surprisingly, it is labeled Kosher, but the Kosher certification comes from a different (one could say more liberal) authority than the one that Kraft uses for all their other foods. An excellent alternative would be Hunt's Sugar-Free Snack Pack Gel Snacks. They're pre-packaged and taste pretty good. If you look at the ingredients, you'll notice there is actually no gelatin listed, which is because the product uses vegetable-based gelling agents (carrageenan). Unfortunately, if you want sugar free, you're pretty much limited to strawberry and orange flavors. Now, if you don't mind preparing your own jiggly dessert, you can try a product called Diet KoJel, which you can buy online or at your local Kosher store. Kojel is another vegetable-based gel product, and Diet Kojel is the unflavored, unsweetened variety. You can add Crystal Light or your flavoring of choice (just make sure it's not too acidic) to make a custom dessert. As for post-op food choices, there's really no limit to what you can have. I was on clear liquids for the first week, so I drank lots of water, Crystal Light, and decaf tea, and I "ate" sugar-free Jell-O. (I had eaten the pre-packaged cups because I had heard that they were vegetable-based, but I don't think that's correct, so I would advise against it. Just stick to Hunt's or KoJel.) After that, I added protein drinks (I prefer whey protein), milk, protein "soup" (clear soups with protein powder mixed in), and so on. Now, I eat most of the same things I ate before surgery, except for most carbs, and raw or undercooked vegetables. Best of luck to you!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Ramadan Mubarak
mickeysantiago · 2 replies · 367 views
Helllooooo??? Anybody here???
BANDIS4ME · 1 replies · 324 views
Eid Mubarak
SassySamara · 1 replies · 355 views