Is this surgery forbidden in Islam?

mickeysantiago
on 3/29/07 10:26 pm - bayonne, NJ
My dear sisters, Salaam Allaikuum, I have been wanting this surgery for so long and my husband says it is forbidden, he even spoke to the sheik at our mosque who confirmed because through diet and exercise one can really lose weight. Prophet Muhamad (pbuh) said to be sensible and not alter your body. I need help or input, I don't want to go against Allah if this is true. Does anyone have any information on this subject. I'd appreciate it. I hope someone sees this soon.
Stacy73
on 4/5/07 11:13 am - Somewhere, MA
wa alai****alaam, I am not sure which surgery you are talking about. I would assume the Bypass since you stated the alter your body part. It never occured to me to ask that question. I have the lapband and, to me, that doesn't alter the anatomy. Allah knows best, maybe consult some more sheiks and ask for definate proof. Also, does intention play a part, meaning is it medically necessary. Pork is forbidden but if you are starving and that's the only thing available, you can eat it. So, if you are in bad health and this would improve it, would it be ok. Whereas, if only for cosmetic reasons, it would not be. Check out this sister's profile, I have never been in contact with her but she has some great Islamic info http://obesityhelp.com/member/kabeerah/ May Allah show you what is best and if Bypass was what you were looking at, then maybe look into the LapBand as well. If you need anything, feel free to contact me insha'Allah. Ma'salaama Stacy
mickeysantiago
on 4/9/07 10:37 pm - bayonne, NJ
Thank you for your reply, I did try to reach Sister Kabeerah and never received a response, maybe she never checks her e-mails. But thanks for taking the time to communicate your thoughts. May Allah bless you and guide you. Salaam.
Gina S.
on 8/31/08 11:01 am - CINNAMINSON, NJ
Asalamu Alaykum,

I am not a sheikh, but I know Allah wants us to be healthy.
If you had cancer, would you not have it treated by a Doctor? Would you simply say, "well, I have cancer, I'll just lie here in the bed and wait for Allah to heal me?"
No, you go to the Doctor and have cancer treatment, *plus you pray to Allah to help heal your cancer.
Another example: If you're in college, and you have an important examination coming-up, do you simply pray to Allah to help you pass the exam, or, do you study hard, *plus pray to Allah to help you pass the exam?

Obesity is a disease that has many consequences, such as Sugar Diabetes and High Blood Pressure, and early death. If we have tried and tried to lose weight through dieting and have failed, weight loss surgery is merely an additional tool we can use to lose this weight and avoid harming our bodies by being overweight and having high blood pressure and Diabetes because we are overweight. Weight loss surgery is helping yourself. It is taking care of the body Allah gave you. Weight loss surgery is like getting cancer treatment.
I am a Muslimah and had Gastric Bypass surgery 7 months ago, Alhumdulillah. I hope you will too, as I now have normal blood pressure, normal blood sugar levels, decreased joint pain, and all of this without having to take prescription medications, Alhumdulillah. It is not "haram" to seek medical treatment from a Doctor when it is needed to help us be healthy.
Salam
mickeysantiago
on 9/2/08 1:55 am - bayonne, NJ
Assalaam Allaikum,
Ramadan Mubarak. Well, I did have my surgery in January 2008. I had lap band. I'm doing great. It's my first time fasting since my surgery. How are you doing with your fasting? It's good to see some one actually writing on the Islam message board as you see noone ever gets on it.  And yes I also feel better my cholesterol has gone down and I am physically better including my joints. Inshallah we will look past this in a couple of years and wonder why we didn't do it sooner. LOL.
Salaam
Gina S.
on 9/2/08 6:13 am - CINNAMINSON, NJ
Salam, I am so glad you had your surgery, Alhumdulillah!!!!!!!
I am not fasting at all, because I can not get adequate water, food, and protein if I do, and would be very sick and dehydrated very quickly. Allah says if we are sick, old, pregnant, etc. that we do not have to fast. I admire you that you are fasting and hopefully you will be ok. I had RNY Gastric Bypass surgery 02/01/08.

Best wishes to you
Gina Abdalla
ummzeez
on 12/22/08 5:38 am - Brooklyn 4EVA n EVA
interestingly enough, i fasted while having the surgery, i was about a month out and i was very rigorous in getting in liquids before and after and ate verrrry high protein... masha Allah it worked out somehow and plan to do it again, though i didnt tell my surgeon, he would most certainly tell me not to fast.
proudtobemuslimah
on 8/15/09 12:49 am
Salaam alliukjm
Iam a muslimah and about to have the surgary , looking for support from my muslim friends
Didi
BypassBuddies.com

on 9/23/09 1:44 pm - Monticello, NY
i know im late in this topic but i post in case somebody stumbles upon this in the future.....

the shaikh that i heard from said it is allowed if one has exhausted all other rational means of dieting before. he says it is allowed under the pretense that it is saving our lives and is not just a matter of finding a better image in the mirror.

personally, i see the surgery as being no different than removing a cancerous tumor.... both cause problems and if left untreated lead to untiemly death. if god calls the one who dies in spite of trying to save his life from drowning a martyr then surely he will look on me with pity if i try saving my own life.

khuda hafiz,
khadijah
Most Active
Recent Topics
Ramadan Mubarak
mickeysantiago · 2 replies · 367 views
Helllooooo??? Anybody here???
BANDIS4ME · 1 replies · 324 views
Eid Mubarak
SassySamara · 1 replies · 355 views