how many people die in surgery?

lyndee
on 9/26/07 11:04 am

Oh Edie, Don't worry, everything is going to be fine. I promise, If I can get through it I believe anyone can get through it.  But I know that still doesn't really put you at ease 100%. I wish I could do that for you and everyone else who has their surgery comming up. Hugs, Lyndee

The opinions expressed by Lyndee are for entertainment purposes only. If I have offended anyone, I apologize. This includes, but is not limited to, the moderators, members of PETA, all unions, liberals, conservatives, SAHMs, WAHMs, gays, whites, blacks, mexicans, asians, jews, christians, agnostics, atheists, buddhists and all other religions, the mentally challenged, witches, bitches, the truly stupid and anyone or anything else I may have forgotten. Thank you!

ANewDayforRose
on 9/26/07 11:43 am - NY
I think that man who died had a really large bmi (if I remember correctly - like around 70) and I think when your bmi is that high the mortality rate is greater because of overall health and mobility and that increases the chance of clots.  When I went to my initial appt my doctor also admitted that our center has lost 3 patients (all gastric bypass becuase they only just started doing bands) but he explained said 2 were people with very high bmi's and the third was having symptoms of blood clots but didn't go to the ER for a couple of days and unfortunately she died.  So I think with the blood clots that if it's caught early enough they can treat it successfully.  So don't worry too much.
EdieMcGee
on 9/26/07 12:07 pm - The Land of Pleasant Living, MD
Okay, ya'll, I was mainly kidding.  I just thought it was funny that someone raised the issue so close to my own surgery and I was putting out a little gallows humor. Sure, there are risks.  There's also a risk every time I get on the D.C. Beltway or board an airplane.  I've done a few relatively dangerous things in my life -- flown in small general aviation planes, rappelled off the side of buildings (no, I was not obese or even overweight when I did that), went whitewater rafting on bad rapids.  Lapband surgery might even be safer than some of the things I've done. I've had my gallbladder out and had plastic surgery on my face.  I know lapband surgery is safer than the former, and it might even be safer than the latter.  I'm certain I'll have a lot less pain than I did with the nose job.  (Just try having your nose broken and waking up with a mini-tampon and a soda straw shoved up each nostril!  Thank Heaven for vicodin.)  It's the intubation part that I really hate and the 5 or 6 tries it always takes to start an IV on me.  Despite what I know intellectually, I'm sure I'll be terrified the morning of October 9th and will probably cry or something while I sit in the holding area because I'm such a baby.  But I'm trusting God to pull me through in the end.

all-time high/consult/surgery/current/goal 315/299/292.2/250/150

Shiloh
on 9/26/07 11:50 am - Commack, NY
I have been on this board for 1 1/2 years and have not heard of anyone dieing from the Lap-Band procedure!!
Ron
All Time High - 451 (2003)
Date of Surgery  (7/19/06)- 365
High - 455   Current - 269     Goal - 220
Caeli B.
on 9/26/07 12:14 pm, edited 9/26/07 12:15 pm - Boston, MA
The 1-in-2000 is a VERY old stat.  The band is a MUCH safer procedure than that number would imply.  I have been on this board for three years, seen thousands upon thousands of people banded (let alone all those offline bandsters) and have heard of only 3 deaths - worldwide - attributed to band surgery and/or complications from the band (none of those people were on OH).  There may have been more but if so it is very few.
LOVIN' my band!
Caeli
348/323/265/198
5'10"

"Life itself is the proper binge." - Julia Child

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anais Nin
malia26
on 9/26/07 12:27 pm - WI
I think everyone else gave some good answers.  I just want to say that the chance of dying during surgery are soooo slim.  I know it's a fear of many people's, but don't worry too much.

169 155   
current/goal 

High: 281, Band removed:180,
Sleeved: 215

M_J_
on 9/26/07 12:34 pm - NE
This is a stat from the Lapband website.  The LAP-BAND® Adjustable Gastric Banding System has a greater than ten year record of success in Europe and Australia. In America, the LAP-BAND® has also shown promising results. The main advantage of the LAP-BAND® is safety, with a 0.2% mortality rate and a 3 to 5% early complication rate. I'm comfortable about the mortality rate.....I just have some anxiety in regards to the whole surgery thing.  I will get over it!!  I'm determined!
susan24
on 9/26/07 12:38 pm - Stuck in traffic or an airport near you, TX
My surgeon has done over 3000 lapbands and over 500 RNY's and no one has died yet.  ( someone asked during a seminar).   I agree with the earlier poster that said to ask your doctor about his or her mortality rate.   The more skilled the surgeon,  typically the less complications they have.  Ask how many lap-bands they have performed also. It's really a very minimally invasive surgery,  but if your doc doesn't want to do any pre-op testing, personally I would be a little nervous.  I want a doctor that is cautious!

“Saying ‘I’m sorry’ is the same as saying ‘I apologize.’ Except at a funeral.?
-- Demetri Martin

GrannyLaLa
on 9/26/07 2:40 pm - South,, AR
Since 2004, I've heard of 3 deaths. First a man died from heart attack on the operating table.  Could have happened to him during any surgery. Second a doctor nicked a woman and she died from the complications of that Third a woman had issues and waited until the last minute before heading to the ER.  The ER was one where the band was not done so no help from them.  I believe her band either slipped or eroded.  Something that could have been fixed if she had gone to her surgeon sooner. The band is an FDA approved appliance and if anything happens while a patient has the band, then it's reported to the FDA.

Glitter Text

arianna
on 9/26/07 10:50 pm - TN
To the left of this page in a blue box you will find  "About Lap Band System" then scroll down until you come to the heading "Treatment Options"  there is the information you need to hear  about the different weight loss surgeries and about the safety of the lap band..not long or hard to understand and it is very interesting.

6/01/07 60lblost 7/5/07 -65lbs!.9/10/07.70lb.lost Sept26..75lb lost.10/29/07 80lbslost!11/12/07 85lblost.

Most Active