...And How long do you have to wait after eating to drink

Brenda R.
on 3/27/08 5:20 am - Humble, TX
I see different times posted on these boards.  My dr. says to wait an hour and a half after eating to drink.  Its killing me.  I try to eat three meals a day and no snacks, but to wait that long sometimes causes issues for me. For example if I eat a 7:30 PM. I cant drin****il 9 which is when I normally go to bed!

Working on me - want to be better in everyway not just physically!!!  Its a process no time to judge or be judged!!!! 
Dabba Doo X.
on 3/27/08 5:25 am - Crosby, TX
Brenda, my doc said 1 -1 1/2 hours also, but he said I could drink up to 5 minutes before I eat!  I have the same problem at night though, after I eat I often forget to drink, because it gets so late.  Some people have told me that they only have to wait 30 minutes.  I asked my doc and he said that the longer you go without drinking the longer the food stays in your pouch and the you stay fuller longer.

Heaviest / surgery day / current / goal      261 / 238.0 / 206.0 / 150
AP Standard band -2 cc at surgery,  first fill 4/10/08 - 2cc - second fill 5/1/08 - 1.5 cc - third fill 6/12/08 .5; fourth fill - 7-10-08 of .5; fifth fill - 8/11/08 of .2  for a total of 6.7 cc in a 10 cc band

"Fake it until you MAKE IT"

Jean M.
on 3/27/08 5:25 am
Revision on 08/16/12
I've heard of an hour, but never an hour and a half.  I was told to wait 30 minutes.  I don't know how I could get my 64 oz liquids/day in if the prohibition were any longer than that. Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

mattintosh
on 3/27/08 5:33 am - CA
I would say that when the food has passed start to drink. Adjust your eating times around that. Also to avoid problems stop eating by five pm. This will allow plenty of time to finish your drinking of water and any exercise you did not do. As I go on this journey I have found that most of my trouble was connected to putting everything off till late eveing. So I stop at five (eating) and get on with exercise and when diner has passed through start on my water. I always always always stop eating anything! by five pm.
april F.
on 3/27/08 5:29 am - montpelier, VA

My Dr. told me not to drink 30 minutes before i eat and to wait 1hour after i eat to drink.  Believe me i count down the minutes until i can drink something again

THE BAND IS THE BEST THING I EVER HAVE DONE FOR MY HEALTH!!!!

START/CURRENT/
GOAL
305/240/

FIRST MINI GOAL OF BEING 255 BY MAY 17 MET 10DAYS EARLY!!!!
NEW MINI GOAL- TO BE 205 BY DEC. 30  ONLY 35LBS LEFT TO GO
ONLY  90LBS. LEFT TO GO TO REACH MY TOTAL GOAL
Aundrea89
on 3/27/08 5:29 am - CA
I learned nothing for 30 minutes either way, before or after.  That way you get in as much food as you need to stay healthy, but after you eat, you can drink so you don't get dehydrated. 1 1/2 hours OMG, I could NOT do that.  Not drinking WHILE I eat is hard enough. If I had to wait that long, I would go crazy

Born Swimmer
on 3/27/08 5:44 am - Sunny, FL
One hour minimum after eating!

~AlyssaLips 2Band to Bypass (Band May 2005 --RNY July 2008)        

"Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try." ~Yoda

(What is Interstitial Cystitis)

Evolution of Dance :)

Meet my pouch... The Gremlin:
Go to fullsize imageImage Preview

mattintosh
on 3/27/08 6:32 am, edited 3/27/08 6:33 am - CA
Alyssal! Excellent!! I agree.  After you work at this long enough what you are saying really is the only approach. Do there is no try. Matt
mattintosh
on 3/27/08 6:38 am - CA
One last point here. If you eat and then start to drink you will slowly stretch your pouch. Little by little you will start to think you need a band adjustment because you can eat alot and not feel full.  The thing about this band is "the stretch" You must "work your band" to get "the stretch". This is the key to the band and the successfull weightloss we are trying to get. Without working the band to get the stretch we will not be succesful at this and will develope all kinds of problems and have all kinds of questions about our banded experience. Matt
Born Swimmer
on 3/27/08 10:07 am - Sunny, FL
Yes, I have been using that quote since I got my band!  It is so appropriate for this WLS journey!  I hate to read, "I will try to stay away from Easter candy"... well try means that you could (and probably will) cave.  If you think "I WILL stay away from the Easter candy", you are more likely to stick to it!  There have been so many studies about positive thoughts and success!  I love my Yoda quote!

~AlyssaLips 2Band to Bypass (Band May 2005 --RNY July 2008)        

"Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try." ~Yoda

(What is Interstitial Cystitis)

Evolution of Dance :)

Meet my pouch... The Gremlin:
Go to fullsize imageImage Preview

Most Active