HOW MUCH PAIN POST-OP LAP BAND SURGERY???

chicomed
on 1/2/10 2:31 am, edited 1/2/10 2:30 am - Chico, CA

i HAVE HAD 10 ORTHO SURGERIES , SO NO STRANGE TO PAIN.

HOW DOES THIS COMPARE TO SAY ............SHOULDER SURGERY/ROTATOR CUFF???

GOT A 225 MILE CAR RIDE (passenger) 2 DAYS POST OP AND WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT........

THANKS, PATRICK   

"GREAT SPIRITS HAVE ALWAYS ENCOUNTERED VIOLENT OPPOSITION FROM MEDIOCRE MINDS"           ALBERT EINSTEIN         

tarheel4life
on 1/2/10 2:29 am
That's a pretty long ride, but 2 days post op you should be more comfortable. I had day surgery and had about an hour drive home. it was pretty rough, but not too terribly bad. They gave me liquid hydrocodone and it was wonderful for the first 3 days or so (I didn't take any after that). You should be fine, of course, I can't compare it to the pain of other surgeries because it was my first one.
Starting -240 /Current -149  /1st goal -150 / New Goal - 144

jackpat
on 1/2/10 2:31 am - Ellensburg, WA
I've had open shoulder surgery and it is 1000 times worse than lapband surgery. I was luck enough to have very little post op pain. I live 100 miles from the hospital and went home the same day as my surgery. Good luck to you.

deb_t
on 1/2/10 2:53 am - RI
I was home same day with minimal "pain".  I'd call it more discomfort than pain.  I got my hydrocodone before I left the hospital at 1:30, and didn't take any more until close to 11 that night.  Only took the hydrocodone for a couple of nights to sleep, and then nothing.
Debbie 

Includes 47.5 lbs. lost during 7 month pre-op period
NY2ATL *
on 1/2/10 3:04 am
I've had 2 c-sections..an abdominoplasty and a breast lift..lap band surgery was NOTHING! The worst part was the gas pain in my left shoulder..other than that the incisions are a piece of cake compared to the other surgeries I've had..you should be fine on the car ride home..bring a pillow to hold on your lap in case the car stops short..honestly though the pain wasn't much of an issue at all..
Patty

For Low Carb Recipes:
www.obesityhelp.com/group/LCRECIPES/discussion/  

(deactivated member)
on 1/2/10 3:09 am - Fat City, NJ
 I suffered very little discomfort after surgery.  I took only one pill post op and really didn't need it.  As I'm fond of reminding people I had my surgery in the morning and was grocery shopping at 2:30 that afternoon.
chicomed
on 1/2/10 3:34 am - Chico, CA
Hi Ricco, You have lost over 80 lbs. in 3+ months..?????????

WOW..........please give me some advise..................that is unreal...!!!

Great Job...!!!!

Patrick

"GREAT SPIRITS HAVE ALWAYS ENCOUNTERED VIOLENT OPPOSITION FROM MEDIOCRE MINDS"           ALBERT EINSTEIN         

(deactivated member)
on 1/2/10 3:28 am

Honestly I don't recall much pain at all post op.  The night of surgery I took one dose of the Vicodin prescribed to me, and pretty much toughed it out otherwise.  I returned to work 2 days post op and tired out a bit quicker than I normally would have, but thats it.  I was working with babies that day and wasn't able to lift them from the cribs, but luckily it wasn't required.

You might want to take a pillow to rest against your abdomen since a seatbelt might cut across your incisions/punture sites.

grammylew
on 1/2/10 3:37 am - Jacksonville, NC

No pain. I was on a plane from CA to NC within 24 hours of surgery.  Took no pain meds.  Had no gas pains.

My rotator cuff surgery pain was worse.  Although between the morphine pump and the hydrocodone, I didn't really care!

Good luck with your pre and post op diets.  You have to hang in there til you get good restriction, too.  That is the hardest part, I think.

Grammylew in Jax

Ambelina
on 1/2/10 4:02 am - Salem, OR
hmmm... well, I am a bit of a weenie.  I did have some pain for a few days after surgery, but as someone else posted - it was more of an intense discomfort.  I took the liquid hydrocodone for about 4 days, but mainly only at night & in the morning... after laying still during the night.  The more I moved, the better I felt. 

Remember when you had your rotator cuff tear repair & thinking right afterwards, "What the *#LL was I thinking?  I literally woke up out of lapband thinking, "Yes!", and have had no regrets (scared cuz I want to do this right, but no regrets). 

So compared to your rotator cuff repair, and my ortho surgeries on my foot?  This was absolutely no problem! 
Highest 298; Pre-op: 279; PreOp BMI 41.  CW: 188 & Current BMI: 30!!!!! Thank you Lord for Dr Nair!!!
1st Goal 248;  2nd Goal 230 met!!!! 7/2010;  3rd Goal 215 - met 9/18/10!!!; 4th Goal 200 - 12/20/2010...  Surgeons goal met - I'd like to lose a litte more.  

Most Active