Throw up, PB, Slime...ect?!?! (Kinda Gross Topic)

pnkpassion
on 1/21/10 3:29 am
Okay silly question time..

Out of no where I feel restriction..which is great. I know that throwing up with the lap band is a no no but I am unsure if what Im doing is consider throwing up. 

Please give me examples of "throwing up", "PBing" and "sliming".

Sometimes If I eat to much food I feel pressure on my chest and I can literally just open my mouth..a bunch of fluid will come up and the slight reminisce of  some mushy protien.  Then the pain stops. 

Is this considered "throwing up" Should I get an unfill?  I have no problems drinking or eating certain foods nor do I have heartburn. But I dont want my band to slip.

Give me some advice...thanks :)
"To get something you never had, you must do something you have never done"

Nicki H.
on 1/21/10 3:41 am - WA
Lap Band on 08/12/08 with
It sounds like to me you are PBing a bit with some sliming.  The symptoms you are describing happen to me if;1)I have eaten too much or 2) have gotten stuck.....

Are you eating slow?  Chewing really well?  Small bites??

I delivered 6 weeks early a 5lb 15oz lil boy:)  After spending 2 months on bed rest in the hospital and Mason spending 11 days in the NICU, we're both home and doing great!  Mason is getting bigger and gaining weight like he should.  Now it's my turn to lose this weight!  It's tough to get back on the band wagon...I CAN do this!

(deactivated member)
on 1/21/10 3:45 am - Minneapolis, MN
VSG on 10/23/12
That's not a dumb question!

The example you gave is definitely what a productive burp, or PB is. Sliming is that saliva/fluid that came up with whatever you burped up. (It's produced to help lube up the ol' stoma area to hopefully pass the food through.) Unfortunately, it's sometimes it's kind of hard to gauge how much is too much. That's why we have to eat slow! (WAY easier said than done!) I usually start yawning or burping or hiccupping right about when I'm done. If I eat past that point, I'll get the brick in the chest feeling and only a very few times, PB whatever it was back up.

If you do experience one of these situations, the best thing you can do is to immediately go back to mushier food or even liquids for a day or two to let things settle. Often times the stoma area could become a bit inflamed or swollen and eating heavy, solid food on top of that could make things worse, causing more inflammation and swelling, the inability to get food AND liquid down, which would lead to a potential unfill. If it gets to the point though where liquids aren't tolerated I'd immediately haul my butt into the doctor's office and get some taken out!

I've only had one kind of bad episode. I tried to eat a really dry piece of chicken, which instantaneously got stuck, in which case I started sliming and PBing up the chicken (which lasted 30ish minutes). The next day, I tried to eat some ground beef and could only eat literally one bite and had discomfort. It was never to the point where I couldn't drink or swallow my spit, but food definitely hurt. I went back to protein shakes/greek yogurt, stuff like that for a day or so and things settled down.

pnkpassion
on 1/21/10 3:54 am
Thank you for your responses! I will have to slow it down a bit, and make sure to do exact measurements..my band is soo picky....

"To get something you never had, you must do something you have never done"

NCA2008
on 1/21/10 4:01 am - NC
Once in a while it's ok...but if you find that you are sliming, PB'ing or even really uncomfortable most times that you eat..you are too tight. Good luck! -Nikki

Start/293lbs   Current/189lbs  Goal/160lbs

Krista C.
on 1/21/10 6:42 am - Quispamsis, Canada
That's sliming and it should NOT be a normal part of the process. If this is happening too much, you are too full.

Lisa O.
on 1/21/10 7:05 am - Snoqualmie, WA

If you are eating slowly and chewing well you are most likely over-filling your pouch and food is backing up into your esophogus.  IMO that's what a PB is.  It's food that never made it into your pouch becuase there's no stomach acid involved.  Sliming happens when you eat something too large or too dry and your body is signalling that you need help swallowing and sends that lovely thick mucous to try to help the offending food go down. 

Throwing up is not that far from Pbing but is more violent and you retch rather than simply "regurgitate" chewed food. 

That's how I define it anyway. 

Regardless, if you are Pbing daily, go see your doc.  I was scolded for waiting 5 days.  My surgeon says if you PB one time or get stuck one time you should call.  I've never done that but it made me realize that I wasn't taking a stuck episode or PB serious enough.  It's NOT something that should happen with any regularity.  It should be a RARE exception!

Caution to all!

Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

Kate -True Brit
on 1/21/10 8:35 am - UK

If by sometimes you mean occasionally, that's probably OK and just careless eating. If you mean regulalry, like at most meals, you may be too tight.

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

dvolumptious1
on 1/21/10 9:41 pm

Just got my 3rd fill and have excellent restriction but I'm able to eat a leg quarter (baked) one day and the next I'm thowing up, PBing, and sliming for 30 minutes off a chicken leg(baked). Its a weird experience bc you can eat something one day and the next you can't. So, I'm gonna stay away from baked chicken and try it boiled for a while.

Left the band and rocking with RNY.
They say I have an eating disorder but I say, I have my eating in order.         

Most Active