LapBand Surgery in 2 days!
CarBra · 24 replies · 388 views
FRIDAY GRATEFUL POST
Vivian Prouty · 0 replies · 11 views
THANKSGIVING GRATEFUL POST
Vivian Prouty · 0 replies · 21 views
WEDNESDAY GRATEFUL POST
Vivian Prouty · 0 replies · 33 views

Tiff - tell me about them hemp seeds.......

spunkie
on 4/26/10 8:29 am
REALIZE Band on 05/07/10 with
Hey Tiff can you give me a little more info about hemp seeds.  Where can you get them and how do you use them.

Tiff tells all
on 4/26/10 8:52 am - Portland, OR
i'll see if I can cut and paste some article info for you. The links have a ton of info but the jist is that it is one of the best proteins in the world for us humans.

Shelled Hemp seed contains:
ng_hempseed.jpg picture by titantiff

* All 20 amino acids, including the 9 essential amino acids (EAAs) our bodies cannot produce.
* A high protein percentage of the simple proteins that strengthen immunity and fend off toxins.
* Eating hemp seeds in any form could aid, if not heal, people suffering from immune deficiency diseases. This conclusion is supported by the fact that hemp seed has been used to treat nutritional deficiencies brought on by tuberculosis, a severe nutrition blocking disease that causes the body to waste away.3
* Nature’s highest botanical source of essential fatty acid, with more essential fatty acid than flax or any other nut or seed oil.
* A perfect 3:1 ratio of Omega-6 Linoleic Acid and Omega-3 Linolenic Acid – for cardiovascular health and general strengthening of the immune system.
* A superior vegetarian source of protein considered easily digestible.
* A rich source of phytonutrients, the disease-protective element of plants with benefits protecting your immunity, bloodstream, tissues, cells, skin, organs and mitochondria.
* The richest known source of polyunsaturated essential fatty acids.

Benefits

Hemp is a high protein seed containing all nine of the essential amino acids (like flax). It also has high amounts of fatty acids and fiber as well as containing vitamin E and trace minerals. It has a balanced ratio of omega 3 to 6 fats at around a three to one ratio. This won’t help correct your omega balance if it’s off, but it gives you the right balance to start with.

Further the protein content of the hemp seed is supposed to be very digestible. Many people noted their personal experience of finding that hemp seed protein did not cause bloating or gas, like some of their whey, or other protein shakes did.

And, get this, unlike soy which has super high amounts of phytic acid (that anti-nutrient that prevents us from absorbing minerals), hemp seed doesn’t contain phytic acid. At the very least, this makes hemp seed a step up from soy.

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/2009/03/hemp-seed-nutrit ional-value-and-thoughts.html
http://www.ecomall.com/greenshopping/plandahemp.htm
http://food-facts.suite101.com/article.cfm/hemp_seed_uses_an d_benefits

hempseed.jpg picture by titantiff

Tiff Current MD- Dr. Valerie Halpin- Portland
Starting  298/ Current  252/ Goal 150

Momma to Zoey Kai!!!!

8.5 cc's in a 14cc AP Large band.
"A few drops of hope can water and nourish our garden" - Jean M.
***Pregnant for the first time- January 2012***

Tiff tells all
on 4/26/10 9:02 am - Portland, OR
http://www.mahalo.com/hemp-seed-recipes.. Google "hemp seed recipes" and you'll find a million. You can get hemp paste, hemp oil, hemp flour, shelled hemp seed.  I only cook with the shelled or hulled hemp seed. My Co-op is out of the flour right now and have been for a while. 

Keep in mind this is not the hippy roll a joint stuff. It won't get you high....

BRM_Hemp_Seed.jpg picture by titantiffhemp-seeds.jpg picture by titantiff

Momma to Zoey Kai!!!!

spunkie
on 4/26/10 9:13 am
REALIZE Band on 05/07/10 with
man I was hoping this stuff was gonna get me high while I enjoyed a good meal.   hee-hee

I kind of figured it would not be the stuff to get you high on.  Thanks for the info.  I will have to look for it at the health food store in my area. 

Thanks for the great info......

Cheryl N.
on 4/26/10 9:50 am - Des Moines, WA
Won't this cause you to test positive for drug use?

246 in Dec 2008 before banded 1/28/09 at 215 lbs, band crapped 9/09 at 170 lbs and struggled with it and regained to 203 revised to bypass on 8/1/11 and am very happy.

Tiff tells all
on 4/26/10 10:08 am - Portland, OR

Don't be sassy you!   Actually, today you get a pass. I've missed seeing you on the boards. Continue on... (gestures to your Hine-ass... I mean Your Highness.)

Momma to Zoey Kai!!!!