Recent Topics
TUESDAY GRATEFUL POST
Vivian Prouty · 0 replies · 15 views
MONDAY GRATEFUL POST
Vivian Prouty · 0 replies · 15 views
Most Active

Why does lapband work for some and not for others?

Gin2bthin
on 11/29/10 2:23 pm - WV
I noticed some people have lost over a hundred pounds in a year some just 30.I know everyone is different, but I even have seen where some people say they have followed the rules and still havent lost weight..I mean it seems like if you followed the rules of the band you would lose weight even if the band didnt help you.,So can the band prevent weight loss for some people for some reason..Im confused..Im just asking questions trying to decide on which surgery to get if sleeve isnt approved.I know the band is just a tool just like any other surgery.I have heard some people say they had the band and still feel like they have lost the weight on their own anyway....I know its still a struggle everyday even with surgery...
janice34
on 11/29/10 2:27 pm
Lap Band on 07/10/09 with
This is a very loaded question. I can't wait to see the responses you get. I can say that it has helped me. I am down 127 lbs. and like you said my friend only lost 30
Krisican2
on 11/29/10 2:35 pm
I think it has to do with a person's commitment to their band, the that they have support as well as their doctor. I have been banded for almost 2 years and did well up until a few months ago. I total went off track and gained some of the weight back. It is my own doing, lack of exercise, eating right, not going to see my doctor as well as lack of support. I had a lot happen in the past 6 months, but I KNEW what I was doing was wrong, so it is my own fault!

I too am curious to see other people's responses.

Kristy

Kristy K.
Obesity Help Support Group Leader
"On the lighter side"  Everyone and anyone welcome!

MARIA F.
on 11/29/10 2:42 pm - Athens, GA

Actually I tend to disagree with u on this one. It CAN have something to do with a persons commitment. There are a few that just are not willing to put the effort into working with the band. Let's face it...............we have seen ppl on here that get the band...........maybe get one or two fils.............and say it doesn't work. Well of course they  haven't given it a chance and done their part to work with the band.

However in most instances, I find that the bandsters ARE putting forth the effort! Unfortunatly...........the band is not doing what it is suppose to do.

FormerlyFluffy.com

Krisican2
on 11/29/10 2:51 pm
I should rephrase my response, I know my success and set-backs have to do with my own personal commitment to my band. Everyone is different and will have different experiences, but as for me, I know why mine has not been as successful as I wi**** were.

Kristy K.
Obesity Help Support Group Leader
"On the lighter side"  Everyone and anyone welcome!

MARIA F.
on 11/29/10 2:37 pm - Athens, GA

I wish I knew! I have had mine just over a yr. I have had 14 fills and still not at that "sweet spot". Other than having no appetite the first 2 wks. after surgery b/c of the swelling, it has been pretty much useless for me. I did completely change my diet to work WITH the band, and I have lost over 60 lbs. However...........I did NOT pay $15,000 to lose weight ONLY by dieting! So choose your WLS very carefully!!!

The band is the least effective WLS! U might want to read this report by the ASMBS if u are considering the band:

www.medpagetoday.com/MeetingCoverage/ASMBS/20919

If you want a sleeve and it is not approved, u can always appeal. If u go to the VSG forum there are some there that could help u through that.

Good luck!

FormerlyFluffy.com

wildabeast
on 11/30/10 4:25 am
 I am so glad you commented. I had the Band 7 months ago , have had 7 fills, 2 under Flouroscopy and an upper Gi Barium swallow, just to see if there's a leak , or if my pouch is swollen. eerything is fine. I have learned over the months, with 34 lbs lost , that it really is jut a tool. I still need to exercise(shich Iknow from the getgo would be difficult because I havae Fibrmyalgia flare-ups often, which prevents me wrom working out. I've now modified my plan to do water aerobics most every day, and just eat health , and smaller amounts, and continue to lose slowly. however, I have lost 35 inches and gone from a size 20 to a 14/16. what keeps me motivated? Only taking 1/2 a blood pressure med, off the sleep apnea machine, greatly improved sex life, can ow get down on the floor and play with my granddaughter, and best of al , the may , may many compliments and praiseses for my changed appearance. I'm 61, and know I won;t ever look 27 again, but my good health is returning, and my self esteem and that's worth it to me. I haven't had the typical great results that others have have but i am very pleased, and can lose weight with the band, where I couldn't with every kind of diet thereis out there. I am changing my attitude about food. I have also been reading a great book someone in the forum suggested,"100 days of Weight Loss" and journalling daily.
sflow67
on 11/29/10 2:41 pm
LOL, oh lord im gonna go look for cover now before the shiznat****s the fan. I cant speak for anyone else, but for ME it does seem to be working albeit not as fast as some of the other surgeries,but thats ok with me. I do know that for me writing down everything i eat has helped and working out everyday has helped as well. I wish you sucess in whichever surgery You choose.
peace
shireen

WASaBubbleButt
on 11/29/10 3:16 pm - Mexico
Revision on 12/06/06 with
On November 29, 2010 at 2:41 PM Pacific Time, sflow67 wrote:
LOL, oh lord im gonna go look for cover now before the shiznat****s the fan. I cant speak for anyone else, but for ME it does seem to be working albeit not as fast as some of the other surgeries,but thats ok with me. I do know that for me writing down everything i eat has helped and working out everyday has helped as well. I wish you sucess in whichever surgery You choose.
peace
shireen

Ehhh... wouldn't YOU be one of the shiznats that hits the fan?  As i recall I believe you wrote this recently;

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/lapband/4279402/Guess-how-a-10-ye ar-RNY-vet-has-kept-her-weight-with-ease/#35230976

~~excuse me bubbleass, or whateva you want to call your self yes some of nana's post have inspired me obviously i have not read all of her posts but that doesnt mean that i have to discredit the ones that have had a positive message for me Let me say that again FOR MEEEEEEEE. Im sorry unlike some ppl on here i dont follow the crowd, so she has had some questionable post obviously those arent the ones that inspired me, also just for the record how do u know what i have done for research u just assume because i mention one person out of many ppl on this board that that is the only reseach i have done please dont even go there with me cuz u dont know jack about me. Im so tired of the few ppl that get on here and try to act like they know it all ,***** let me tell you u can keep on keeping on and just ignor my posts cuz i have no time for you triffling ass and if you dont find the humor in the irony of the original post then thats fine but dont tell me im backtracking im being straightforward with what i found funny your the one reading more into it than i am, so please spare me your holier than thou attidude and step the f*ck off.

peace out
shireen~~

Do you really think you are anyone to talk?  And also, aren't you the one that was laughing at someone because it took her more than one surgery to get to goal?

Bleh...

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
Jo 1962
on 11/29/10 4:14 pm - NearHouston, TX
To be fair, Wasa~, she DID publicly apoligize for this post.  I think that took a lot of courage, don't you?   

5.0 cc in a 10cc lapband  (four  fills) 1 unfill of .5cc  on 5/24/2011.
.5 fill  March 2012. unfill of .25cc May 2012.  Unfill of .5cc June 2014.

Waiting insurance approval for revision to VSG. 

HW: 267lbs- size 22-24  LW:194lbs  CW:225lbs  Size 16-18