two trips the ER for pain and possible slip

jadelyn
on 1/8/11 10:12 pm - DE
I had a fill of 1cc placed in on the 29th of December and felt fine for a couple days.  Soon after, day 3 is when I started eating solids, I felt pain on my left side that moved towards my back.  It was intense pain even with only as little as a bite of solids.  I dealt with this pain for several days that would come on about 5 minutes after I eat and last for as long as 30 minutes.  After dealing  with this pain for 4 days, I could no longer deal with it.  I've been tight before and had my band slipped in which needed to be repaired.  I was not throwing up or had any heart burns only pain in that area after eating solids. 

Realizing this fill was not like any other and thinking after about a week the pain will go away after the swelling of my stomach goes down,it did not. I know it was time to  call my doctor.  He did not seem too concerned and advised me to take it easy and go on liquids for a couple days and after that if I'm still having the pain come in and get some of the fluid out.  For whatever reason, after speaking with my doctor, the pain when even after eating solids.  Well those pain free days last for 2 days and the pain returned.  I decided to take myself to the ER in the state I live in(Delaware). I had my surgery in Philadelphia(glad of that).  To make a long story short the doctors in Delaware ER did nothing for me.  They would not even  take a picture of my stomach so I left there pissed. Hell for all they know I could of have something seriously wrong with me hell anything and for them not to even investigate pissed me off.

At this point, I am barley eating or drinking just  did not have the energy to do so  and  I did not want to face the pain from eating and took  it easy for a few days.  The next day I got up, went  to they gym, ran some errands then came back home and fixed myself two devil eggs.  Well after two bites here comes the pain. I walked around hoping it will move the pain away faster but it did not in fact the pain lasted longer.  I then realized that this is not going to get any better and call my doctor once again.  He called me back and I told him what was going on.  He advised me to go on liquids for the weekend and call my doctor's office on Monday.  Well after hanging up with him, about 5 minutes later the nurse called me back and said she have the doctor on the phone(strange just talked with him),he told me to go to the ER because I could have a slip or a prolapse. 

I took my 45minutes drive up to Temple in Philadelphia knowing I will finally get some answers to this pain. They did the whole work up.   They did blood work, urine tests and I had to have a CAT scan.  The nurse hooked me up to IV because I was a dehydrated and asked me if my heart rate was usually that low (47) I told her it was because the amount of exercise I do and she said yes that will do it.  The doctors came in asked me lots of questions and examined my stomach. After the CAT scan came back. It showed I had not slip.  Thank God!!! The doctors decided to remove all the fluid from my band(was not happy with that) I ask ed do they have to remove all why not just what was added in the last fill?  But of course that was wishful thinking.  She asked me how much I had in I told her 5.5 cc.  She when on to remove the fluid out and to my surprise she took out 7cc (W0W).  I was really surprise with that.  Well no wonder I was having so much pain.  I never had that much in my band before even when I had a slip.  So she wanted me to drink some liquids to see if I would have the pain and I told her I needed to eat solid (remember liquids don't give me pain) If the pain was there they would had to admit me and run more test. So I remember my husband had an apple in his backpack.  Man that was the best tasting apple I had in a long time.  I know right away that the complete unfilled had worked. Man I felt soooo much better. 

I don't have any fluid in my band right know but that's OK.  I will soon and I now know I can not go pass the 5.5 mark.  This is why I love my band and Temple Bariatric!!!!
Kate -True Brit
on 1/9/11 1:02 am - UK

So glad it all turned out well!  Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Most Active