Is there a better site for positive band discussions

CindyJo24
on 1/8/11 12:50 pm - Grand Blanc, MI
I got my lap band in August.  I have had no complications and am doing well.  I get on this site to read interesting articles about food choices, warnings, issues and just to continue to be educated and motivated. 

I do not enjoy reading all the band bashing.  I try to avoid it by only reading the subject lines that ask meaningful questions but no matter what someone against the band always gets on there which they have every right to do.

But since I am doing well and have no one to talk to about it, I am looking for a forum of other people doing well and trying to make a positive go of weight loss using the band as one of our tools.

Please don't post it here for everyone to read, especially if it's a well kept secret of a better place for lap-band discussions.  Just send the site to me in a private message.

Thanks for all those who keep posting the success stories and offering positive suggestions for those of us still in the learning curve.

~ Cindy
                       ~ Cindy
Learning to live, no longer living to eat

Christina M.
on 1/8/11 12:59 pm, edited 1/8/11 12:59 pm
I don't know much about other sites, but here on OH you can block those people you don't want to read. After a bit, you'll get to recognize the same few with 'negative' opinions. I just block them. Makes this site more enjoyable to me.

MARIA F.
on 2/8/11 2:40 pm - Athens, GA
I got my lap band in August.  I have had no complications and am doing well.  I get on this site to read interesting articles about food choices, warnings, issues and just to continue to be educated and motivated. 

I do not enjoy reading all the band bashing.  I try to avoid it by only reading the subject lines that ask meaningful questions but no matter what someone against the band always gets on there which they have every right to do.

But since I am doing well and have no one to talk to about it, I am looking for a forum of other people doing well and trying to make a positive go of weight loss using the band as one of our tools.

Please don't post it here for everyone to read, especially if it's a well kept secret of a better place for lap-band discussions.  Just send the site to me in a private message.

Thanks for all those who keep posting the success stories and offering positive suggestions for those of us still in the learning curve.

~ Cindy

I don't understand? Why would u not want to hear the REAL stories about the band??? That's kind of like living next door to a nuclear plant and not wanting to hear about leaks!

When u start having problems with you band you will wish u had listened!

Good luck to u!

FormerlyFluffy.com

steelerfan1
on 1/8/11 2:14 pm
Cindy,

Like Christina said just block the ones that are bothering you .  there are some really great folks on here that do give support and talk about weight loss.

This is the only site I use to be honest.  I have made some really good friends here and if you want you can add them to be your friend and you can chat with them in the chat box . I talk to alot of them that way :o)

Hope you stick around

Quit Smoking
10/8/10
Starting BMI  52.9  BMI now  44.4        updated  6/6/11

Ms_Swoosh
on 1/8/11 2:51 pm - Indian Trail, NC
Sadly the site is like the world...sometimes there are those that it is simply healthier to avoid. Dont let the fits of negative drive you away from something that can be such a positive :)

just keep swimming :)
Swoosh :)
I am a work in progress...perhaps never completed or perfected; but forever working to change for the better...
~Swoosh
   August 2012   New Dr.... New Start... Dr. David Voellinger        

April32
on 1/8/11 4:07 pm

I agree 100%...I'm still so undecided as to which WLS to have...At first I was 100%  for the band but now I'm just confused. But reading some people response isn't pleasant...But your all doing a great job...Really your stories inspire me. I'm 5'0 and I weigh about 235-245 I'm so stuck!...Thank you for sticking around for  the people *****ally need to hear the positives things about this...

God Bless

MARIA F.
on 2/8/11 2:19 pm - Athens, GA
On January 9, 2011 at 12:07 AM Pacific Time, April32 wrote:

I agree 100%...I'm still so undecided as to which WLS to have...At first I was 100%  for the band but now I'm just confused. But reading some people response isn't pleasant...But your all doing a great job...Really your stories inspire me. I'm 5'0 and I weigh about 235-245 I'm so stuck!...Thank you for sticking around for  the people *****ally need to hear the positives things about this...

God Bless

April since u are undecided I would suggest that u look at this link by the ASMBS that basically states how ineffective the band is:

www.medpagetoday.com/MeetingCoverage/ASMBS/20919

I would also suggest u go to the revision forum and see how many bandsters are revising FROM the band!!

FormerlyFluffy.com

Kate -True Brit
on 1/8/11 4:47 pm, edited 1/8/11 7:55 pm - UK

It does get wearing - that is one reason why so few vets are here - after a year we are able to go to the Band Grads board - much more peaceful!

But the problem is we do need to hear the bad! Not the argumentative - just the negative stories. There can be problems and we need to know what to watch out for. So even now, at almost 5 years out, i still read the ones where people talk of their problems. There are several people who have had serious issues (Zee Starlite, N.M. amongst them) who had problems and post to tell about them in a way which informs.

Do as I do -  I have just three people blocked -  just losing those 3 cuts the drama by about 95%.

There are several UK websites which I tried and they are much more positive than OH about the band. For some reason (and this was actually pointed out to me by one of the most rabid band-bashers - someone who has now blocked me because I used to quote studies which did not show the band as being the devil incarnate), people seem to do better with the band over here. It may be because it is very difficutl to get it done under the national health service and self-paying focusses the mind!

But I like OH! And i feel a sort of duty to post the positive!

Don't leave. Become one of the positive vets!

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Kerry B.
on 1/8/11 11:10 pm
There are some other boards but I don't think they are as easy to navigate. I found them by just doing a Google search. However, this by far is my favorite board and there are some very successful, helpful posters on here that I tend to learn from.  It's amazing when the "vets" pop in occasionally to see their pics and hear their stories. Makes everything else worth it.

fairy_kissez
on 1/9/11 12:28 am - Albuquerque, NM
As far as the negative that is why I rarely come in here. I need the support but seem to find more negative than support. I don't know of any other sites but I do understand your frustration.

Hey Kate I am 18 months out, can you message me and tell me how to get to the band grads board.

Thanks,

Jen

lapband in 2008 at 298lbs , lowest weight was 183lbs , Band almost killed me and removed in 2011. No revison because to much damage for revision.

Anti Lap-band advocate!

Most Active