Eating out and child portions

OCMomma
on 1/8/11 10:40 pm
When I go out to eat now, I usually order from the kids menu as the food is easier for me to eat.  ( I am not too far out post op).  I can't even finish  a child's portion.   When I ask if I can order off the kids menu I usually get a strange look from the waitress like " that fat a$$ wants a kids menu"???      How do you all handle this.  DO you tell them you had WLS?  I told one and my hubby said you don't need to feel obligated to tell them that. haha.    . 

ALso in one restaurant I ordered a burger. I asked for a box and put the fries in it, took the burger off the bun and the waitress ran over and asked if everything was ok.  I told her yes it was fine.  I saw her whispering to the other one looking at me like I was strange.  I was going to tell her I had WLS and then just decided to let her wonder.  

I guess they still see this overweight woman and wonder whats going on and why am I not eating 2 plate fulls? haha

DO you all make it a point to tell the waitress/ waiter or just let them wonder. ?

Failed Lapband December 2010,Revision to RNY 2015.

(deactivated member)
on 1/8/11 10:56 pm - Des Moines, IA

I think most kids meals are high in fat and not that healthy.  I just order a regular meal and ask for a " to go box" to be brought with my meal.  When my meal arrives I immediately put the food in the box that I will take home.  It's no one's business about the volume that I'm eating and my small portion takes me just as long to eat as someone who's eating a large amount. 

OCMomma
on 1/8/11 11:00 pm
I didn't know about the fat content.  Like at Outback I ordered a grilled chicken breast off the joey menu.   and at one restuarant they had a kids menu which was the same as adults she said but just smaller sized.  hmmm I will have to watch my choices.  I do notice that the kids menu has other choices like applesauce though or apples instead of fatty potatoes.  Maybe restaurants are starting to change for the better.   I think all places add so much fat to food anyway, its sick . 

Failed Lapband December 2010,Revision to RNY 2015.

Kerry B.
on 1/8/11 10:59 pm
Don't feel obligated to tell them! I felt the same way in the beginning but believe me it gets easier as you go along.  We go out a lot, probably too much. I either order something that one of my kids like and we share or I ask for a box and pack up what I can't eat. It does get annoying when the waitress keeps asking if everything was okay while you are sitting with most of your food left in front of you.  If you hurry and pack it away, they'll never know if you ate it or stowed it away.  The only trouble I have with this plan is that I can't eat leftovers. I've tried and tried but always end up PBing so my dog usually ends up happy too.  Good luc****rry

Bette B.
on 1/9/11 12:24 am
  I let them wonder. It's none of their friggin' business.

As for children's menu items, I rarely even ask about them, since they are usually enormous and crappy foods to bot.

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

spuddzy
on 1/9/11 12:40 am - NY
You are pretty brave ordering burgers and grilled chicken...My doctor and nutritionist specified the 3 and 4 wks. after banded stay on soft foods and pureed, chopped as not to over do your new babd abd continue to heal yourself..good luck.

spuddzy

(deactivated member)
on 1/9/11 12:40 am
go for the lite meals and take home whats left for the next meal my huppy and i can share the regular size meal  just ask for extra plate when its not the all you can eat bars
steelerfan1
on 1/9/11 12:51 am
I wouldn't worry about it , its' none of their business .

What to hear something funny and people looking at you.

Well my best friend we have been friends since 5 so we do alot of things together as couples and our families.

Well she has the band also so the four of us went out to the steak house.  Her hubby ordered one meal and mine did to and we shared meals lmao.

Cant see ordering two huge meals when I eat one cup of food :o)

Hubby loves it , I'm a cheap date now   Instead of spending 50 bucks in there per couple we spend 25 bucks lol.

Quit Smoking
10/8/10
Starting BMI  52.9  BMI now  44.4        updated  6/6/11

Kate -True Brit
on 1/9/11 12:55 am - UK

It took me some time to change my mindset. Now I think of eating out as a social experience and I pay not only for the food but for the occasion. So I order whatever appeals to me and then eat about 1/3 of it. Then just leave the rest. English restaurants don't expect to give you food to take home (except for some Asian foods ones).

At first this seemed an awful waste, but now I don't worry. I don't do fast foods (never have done) and when we eat out it is usually high quality foods, so I do sometimes feel the need to say to the  waiting staff that the food was excellent and that I only left it because I have a small appetite. Once, in a very high class restaurant, the chef hmself came out to ask me if everything was all right for me and could he replace / change anything. So since then I do pre-empt them by saying it was lovely!

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Stephanie M.
on 1/9/11 1:29 am
I usually order an appetizer that is relatively healthy, like beef tenderloin bites, etc and then have a couple of bites off my husband's plate.  We often share entrees and usually don't have a problem with the waitstaff wondering
why...a lot of people eat this way anyway, WLS or not.  We are just learning a "new normal" way of eating that is not overeating.  I would rather have them wondering why I am eating so little than why I am eating so MUCH, lol.
I never order from the kids menu because in most places that offer a kids option, it is not healthy...full of carbs, fat and salt.  Outback puts an enormous amount of salt on their food...I won't even go there.
It does seem a bit early for trying hamburger...I just cannot eat it out.  At home I have a lot more control over how it is cooked and can eat it no problem.  I ordered my first burger (no bun of course)  on vacation in Maui in October (almost 5 months post op) and it ruined the whole day (eating wise).  Had to go on liquids for a day and a half....won't do that again.

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

Most Active