Food Getting Stuck and Emotions

pw63
on 1/9/11 11:42 am
Hi all,

I'm 3 1/2 months out from surgery and in the last month, food has been getting stuck and in reading all the lovely posts on this, now I know I've been sliming - hate it. The last month has been stressful as I have been traveling outside of the US and for me, I think it is greatly related to stress and worrying about food getting stuck - it's almost as if my band says she's thinking about me and starts to seize up and then the praying that I won't be throwing up in public. Do you think that your instances of food getting stuck are influenced by your emotions and if so, do you have any ways you work to reduce this?
karenw730
on 1/9/11 9:12 pm
Stress is a huge factor for me too, although I tend to "forget" my rules when I am so stressed out.  One time of getting stuck usually reminds me and then I do what I can to make my meals as stress free as possible.  I sometimes go into my dining room instead of the kitchen, I play nice music, I use different plates- whatever it takes to make me think.. this meal is different- take your time.. slow down...
I fall back on soft foods too when things are really out of control.  Something filling yet I know I will have better luck than denser foods.  A nice filling soup is always good.
(deactivated member)
on 1/9/11 9:23 pm - ~Somewhere in~, PA
I hate to say this BUT.... you are only 3 months out and you should not be slimming this frequently this early out. The reason most vets no longer give newbies advice and warnings is that we get flamed, and nowadays let newbies dig their own ditch and grave with the band.

Never blame frequent vomiting on stress, REGARDLESS whether it's stress, frequent vomiting WILL EVENTUALLY CAUSE YOUR BAND TO SLIP, THIS IS A FACT. I know you want to get your weight off but if you plan on keeping your band forever and don't want a revision or removal in about 1-3 years, you need to either remove some saline or learn how to chew well.

Good luck
pw63
on 1/10/11 12:05 am
Hi Nana,

I appreciate the advice and should probably clarify, the sliming and throwing up has happened about 8 times over the last month - the feeling something might be stuck probably 5-6 more. I have an appt with the Dr next week so will talk to him and focusing on the food and chewing is good advice. The problem I have is that before I got under all this stress, I didn't have this problem so I think that's why I'm struggling.

Thanks again,
P
Stephanie M.
on 1/10/11 12:11 am
Travel and emotions are both triggers for getting a bit "stuck" with foods I otherwise can eat.  The best thing to do is eat safe foods...saucier, moister, easy to chew and really focus on cutting your food into tiny bites and chew it thouroughly...more than you normally would.  I also found that having a bit of soup as my first course helped when traveling.
We live with 4 adolescent grandchildren and sometimes their bickering would cause me to become tense and have difficulty eating....they have learned that the table is a "no-bicker" zone so Nini can eat her little meal.
When I am upset, I try to wait to eat until I calm down...
I know it isn't possible to modify your choices in all cir****tances, but if you make little changes you should be ok...
Good luck!

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

kathkeb
on 1/10/11 1:11 am
Stress influences my band -- I think mostly because it leads me to eat carelessly.

I don't think that it makes the band any tighter --- but I take bigger bites or I eat too quickly.

Now -- following a 'stuck' episode, I am supposed to go back to liquids for a day -- to let any swelling calm down.

If I don't do that, I tend to have issues for 2 or 3 days --- if you do this repeatedly, you are at an increased risk of a slip ---- please consider allowing yourself to rest/recuperate following a stuck episode.
Kath

j_walker
on 1/10/11 4:02 am
I have also found that altitude affects my band. I live at 5800 feet, so whenever I travel to sea level, I am amazed at how much I can eat. Then when I get home I sometimes forget about the altitude and have a stuck moment. That could have something to do with it...

Most Active