please help!!!!

linzi
on 1/10/11 2:39 am
i'm new to the site, i had my gastric band fitted in march 2010 and i'm struggling to lose the weight i've lost between 2 to 2 and a half stone, the majority of the weight loss was the first few wks. i have 8.25mls in a sweedish band i'm due for a checkup with my nurse next thurs i'm so fed up with not losing any weight i feel i've wasted my money and feel really down i joined the gym which i have been attending since july sometimes i can eat a lot sometimes i cant i just don't know what to do please can anybody give me some advice!!!!!
melly37
on 1/10/11 4:42 am - Rio Rancho, NM
VSG on 04/03/12
Hi Linzi,

Sorry to hear you are struggling.  I am not familiar with how much a "stone" is, but I know our board Brit, Kate, has explained it to us a few times.  ha ha

For a good majority of us, not ALL, it takes the proper amount of restriction for us to start losing weight.  What is your restriction like?  Sometimes the band can be too tight and that will cause us to not lose either, as we end up eating slider foods. 

If you are very sensitive to simple carbohydrates, it's best to stay away from them as that can cause your body to hold on to weight.  I am glad you have an appointment coming up, this band isn't easy.  It's hard work!

Following the basics are the best advise I can give.  Get at least 64 oz of water in, your required grams of protein, and exercise (which you are doing).  Calories are normally between 800 and 1400 a day (also depending on your size and your level of activity)  My NUT says to stay at 1200 and go up to 1400-1500 if I am exercising that day. 

Good luck!

LapBand Surgery 01/10/08, Revison to Sleeve 04/03/12

linzi
on 1/10/11 4:59 am
thank you so much for the reply, i lost around 35 pounds but i weighed myself at home (bad idea) and had put on 5 and a half lbs. sometimes i feel restricted most of the time i dont now i am so fed up as i keep thinkin have i damaged the band?, i have started to eat more meat as advised which has been hard as i've never really ate a lot of meat but i'm trying today has been a bad day and i feel like giving up i'm wanting another fill but i hope my nurse will do it i feel i have considerabley less restriction that the last time i seen her.
thank you so much for the reply i've tried other forums and don't ever seem to be able to post anything
thank you xx
Kate -True Brit
on 1/10/11 5:02 am - UK

American friends - about 35lbs!   A stone is 14lbs.

Can you give us more informaion?

How is your restriction? How much do you eat? What do you eat?

You say sometimes you can eat a lot and sometimes you can't. Is that within one day? Many of us are tight in the morning and looser in the evening. Are you starting all meals with dense protein?

Tell us a bit more about yourself and your lifestyle.

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

linzi
on 1/10/11 5:17 am
i generally don't eat breakfast due to lack of time (bad i know) i go to the gym on a morning lunch is usually something like scrambled egg and tomatoes or a sandwich made with weigh****chers bread, my evening meal is things like jacket potato and tuna, tonight i had spag bol with more bolonaise and less pasta, i have beef stews with lots of veg in, tomorrow i'm having turkey with veg, and i like fajhitas and curry- low fat, my down fall still is that i still can't seem to shake off takeaways i hate to admit that. i work in a hospital which can be hard only 2 friends know about the band i usually have weetabix with fruit on for my 11am break and a small meal i have previously frozen such as spagetti bolonaise it is hard at work trying to eat slow on short breaks sometimes i take fruit smoothies.
i work long 12 hr days so when i get in from work i tend to pick like i said before i sometimes can eat a small amount and yes i do feel i can get a lot on a night and sometimes do pick.
when you say about my restriction after a fill i feel it loads but it soon wears off at the moment i feel as long as i eat slowly and chew i can eat normally and sometimes could eat more.
what do you mean by dense protein? chicken? i never hardly used to eat meat but i was like that before my band i think that has been a struggle as i've been introducing meat more into my diet.
once again thank you for the replies
much love xxxx
Tiff tells all
on 1/10/11 5:06 am - Ewa Beach, HI
RNY on 05/21/19
I can see/hear  your frustration loud and clear. I'd be upset at that kind of loss too. (35 lbs)  in just shy of a year.

Is there a way to get yourself connected to a local support group and perhaps see a nutritionist/dietician to review your food intake.  I know a huge part of my issues for a while was in portion control. It took a while to beat it into my head that just cause I could eat a lot sometimes didn't mean I should.  you know!?  I had to go back to journaling and using the scale to get my eyeballs to recognize proper portions again. That worked for me and it make work for you.

Also- are you exercising at all? Even short walks make a huge difference.

Good luck.

Tiff

Current MD- Dr. Mikami, Honolulu Hawaii

Lapband 14cc AP Lg in 2008- slipped and removed 2016 -VSG July 21, 2016-dx Gerd

** RNY Revision 05/21/2019 **

"A few drops of hope can water and nourish our garden" - Jean M

linzi
on 1/10/11 5:24 am
hi tiff,
yes i exercise i joined the gym in july, i paid for a support package and band fills i have an appointment next thursday so i will discuss it then, i have a friend who now sees the same group but she was filled with 4 mls at operation and then another 3mls after she now goes to the same nurse as me but its taken me a fill every month (apart from dec due to bad weather) to get to 8.25mls. how many more can i have id do feel frustrated i think i need to speak with my nurse next week but i am happy i have found this forum. i expected different things and feel i do need to be re-trained on my diet and protion size does anyone publish there food diary on this forum
once again thank you for your reply xxxx
Melanie V.
on 1/10/11 9:13 am - Denver, CO
I have lost just over 40 pounds, and I'm very happy.  I j=know it's hard sometimes. I look how much others have lost, but I try not to get discouraged. I have not lost weight in about 6 months but I have not gained.  Good luck, try to stay positive.
Surgery 2/3/10 Weight 207
Current 165
Goal 140
Believe you can and you're halfway there. -Theodore Roosevelt-
Most Active