Surgery 1/18

Ztoomaaa
on 1/11/11 5:59 pm
I'm having surgery 1/18 - 1 week away!

Can anyone give me ideas/suggestions of what to have on hand afterwards?

I have bought a food processor/blender, protein shakes, chicken & beef broth, vitamins, calcium supplements, crystal lite, cream of wheat.  The doctor's office said I could ave anything I could drink thru a straw - well not "anything" but low fat, high protein choices.

I am kind of worried about not being able to take aspirin as it seems to be the one thing for me that works for headaches and other aches and pains.

Also I work 4 10 hour days where I am pretty active - on my feet, walking, bending, lifting, etc for probably 85% of the workday.  I'm planning on taking off two weeks and wondering if I should make it 3 instead. 

A week from now I will have my band!

tracycoder
on 1/11/11 6:58 pm
Yea!  You must be so excited and a little bit nervous, too!  Good call buying the food processor/blender.  It will come in very handy, especially for the first week or so after surgery.

I definitely recommend having premade protein shakes on hand.  They're a good way to get protein without a lot of calories and they're somewhat filling.

I think you'll be fine with two weeks off but why don't you wait and see how you feel?  Is it possible to take an extra week if you decide at the end of the two weeks you're not ready to get back to work yet?

I'm happy for you; you're starting on a great journey!
JoMixx
on 1/11/11 8:40 pm - West Yarmouth, MA
Chewable Tylenol has been a lifesaver for me!  I also am eating a lot of greek yogurt, cream of chicken soup and oatmeal.  
Surgery 1/6/11 , 14ml band - 0ml fill      
Chashton
on 1/11/11 9:56 pm - NY
Hi -

That is my date also.  1/18 - I'm getting alittle excited, nervous.  I went shopping last night to stock up on more soups, water, and I had picked up the liquid tynoel just in case.  Shakes I have already.  I have been doing them since last Monday.  And in a week I had lost 12 lbs already.  I really didn't have to start until 7 days before but I wanted to do  more so that it is better for me.

Good Luck with your surgery.  Where are you located?  I'm in New York. 

Denise
Tiff tells all
on 1/12/11 12:07 am - Ewa Beach, HI
RNY on 05/21/19
2 weeks should be more than sufficient.

If I were you, I'd also get some no sugar added treetop apple sauce, some fudgesicles and some small curd cottage cheese.  The cold will feel good for the first few days and will help somewhat with the swelling. BTW- those fudgesicles are sugar free/fat free.

I'd also get some ricotta and marinara. It's like the innards of a lasagna. When heated up, it will feel like you are actually having dinner with everyone else.

Tiff

Current MD- Dr. Mikami, Honolulu Hawaii

Lapband 14cc AP Lg in 2008- slipped and removed 2016 -VSG July 21, 2016-dx Gerd

** RNY Revision 05/21/2019 **

"A few drops of hope can water and nourish our garden" - Jean M

MomTo3Ds
on 1/12/11 12:20 am
Im having surgery on the 18th too. I plan on going out in a bit, if the roads aren't bad, to get a few more items. 
Best of luck to us both! 
Ztoomaaa
on 1/12/11 10:28 pm
Thanks to each of you for your help.  I love cottage chesse and had not thought of it or the sugar free fudgesicles.  I found the 23% protein shakes at Sam's Club for only $14 a case and I will stock up on them.  Now I just need to hit the library and stock up on reading material!

That is great you have already lost 12 pounds.  I think I am down about 7 pounds and hope to lose 4-5 pounds more - I have four 11+ hour shift the next four days and will be extremely busy - I plan on using that to my benefit.

I also am/was a Diet Coke "addict" - I would have a minumum of 4 cans a day.  I am down to one can and am going to down to zero cans by Saturday - I think this is one of my major obstacles though.

I am in Des Moines, Iowa.  Congratulations to both of you also having surgery the 18th.  Will you being staying in the hospital overnight? Dr. Eibes the surgeon doing the lap band said I will go home the same day. That worries me just a little but I think it seems to be the standard anymore.  I think that is exactly what I will do - take the 2 weeks and see how I feel at that point.  I havn't told anyone at work why I am having surgery.

Thanks again to each of you - I am excitied (a little scared) but I know this IS the weigt loss tool I have been needing for the last 15 years.

Most Active