The Biggest Loser and WLS

EBL8181
on 1/12/11 1:06 am - Boston, MA
I've recently become friends with a guy who was on the biggest loser and he told me that six people from his season had WLS before the show - 4 had lapband and 2 had RNY (I don't want to name names because he told me in confidence). This upsets me because I think it perpetuates the belief that WLS is the "easy way." Otherwise, wouldn't they just talk openly about it. I shouldn't have been as shocked as I was to learn this but it just made me lose a lot of respect for the show. Why should WLS be a secret? Grrr...
~ Liz ~ 30 y/o ~ 5'10

starting (10/4/10): 280
pre-op (10/18/10): 268.5
current (1/4/12): 257.0

HD Mama
on 1/12/11 1:18 am
That was last season's right?  If so, they did mention it at the beginning of the season and it's in the Bio info on the contestants....if I remember correctly, one girl had WLS when she was a teenager.
Pgh Steeler Fan
on 1/12/11 1:21 am - PA
In all 10-11 seasons of the show there have been at least 1 or more that have had WLS. Don't know why you would be surprised by this. We all say it on here that WLS is not for everyone, especially if you don't follow the rules.
psychomom
on 1/12/11 1:23 am - China Grove, NC
WLS should not be a secret but on a show where they are pushing crazy dieting and exersize and the ppl on there hawking their diet tips and products they do not want ppl to know that WLS is coming into play. I have never liked the show due to the msg it sends.... anyone can lose weight....IF they can eat like a rabbit and workout 8 hrs a day.That is true but a food addict is gonna regain when the support and discipline is gone. That has happened to alot of ppl that go on shows like that. ANYONE can lose weight with personalized food programs and a personal trainer and a support staff 24/7. Home alone....not so much.LOL  I just think it makes it look too easy when what they are doing is NOT realistic at all . The fact some have had WLS makes it even more unfair .

pam57
on 1/12/11 1:28 am - Murrieta, CA
REALIZE Band on 12/20/10 with
I'm with you.  I don't think WLS should be considered an easy way out. It is a sound medical procedure to solve real physical problems and issues.

I am proud that I had WLS. I recognized that I had a problem that was affecting my health adversely.  I know that I have a volume control problem that I was not able to control on my own.  To me, it is like someone with a funky tendon having the tendon fixed because it will make them feel better.  I just had my volume control fixed and it probably saved my life.

Until the general public recognizes that weight issues are not a sign of individual weakness, WLS is considered to be like plastic surgery, an easy way out.

NCB1997
on 1/12/11 1:51 am
I agree with psychomom.
Nancy B.    
(deactivated member)
on 1/12/11 4:19 am - Modesto, CA
I'm really unclear what you mean.  I don't see how their being on the show perpetuates the message that WLS is the easy way out.  Most of those who have had WLS on the show, lost weight and gain it all back.  They are now trying the BL route.  I think if anything, this shows that even WLS is not always the answer because people with food issues still struggle (and fail) even after surgery.

cat
EBL8181
on 1/12/11 4:28 am - Boston, MA
I mean it in the sense that, why don't they talk about it? I feel like they think they will lose credibility if the viewers know some of the contrestants had surgery and they won't get as much credit for their accomplishments. I did not know they said this at the beginning of the season, but I know at least two of the girls had their surgeries shortly before going on the show so they weren't yet "failed" bandsters, they were at the beginning of their journeys. I feel they think if they said it, viewers would say, oh of course she's losing fast, she had surgery. When in reality WE know it still takes hard work, so by keeping it a secret, I feel like that perpetuates the idea that it's a short cut. Otherwise, why not just put it out there?
~ Liz ~ 30 y/o ~ 5'10

starting (10/4/10): 280
pre-op (10/18/10): 268.5
current (1/4/12): 257.0

L B.
on 1/12/11 5:08 am
Thats very dissapointing... I thought the contestants were " all natural" so to speak. They should let the viewers know about that because it is apart of EVERYTHING they went through to try to loose the weight. I figured there was ALOT of things that wasnt mentioned on that show like that and it is dissapointing since these people get on national  t.v. to show everything they are carrying not to mention the sweat it takes to loose weight. Thanks for the info:)
Ms Shell
on 1/12/11 7:14 am - Hawthorne, CA
Not sure who you are talking about but I know last year the OPENLY discussed that the WLS folks who had failed theirs and weren't recent ops.  I have little to NO respect for any of the "reality" shows because it's scripted reality and MANY of the contestants on the Biggest Loser gain most or ALL their weight back.

Ms Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

Most Active