Please someone let me know

Laurena
on 1/12/11 2:05 am - Louisville, KY
Had the lap-band surgery 3 days ago and have so much pain in my upper stomach close to the breastbone and clear in to my back.Is this normal?

hedgehogdude
on 1/12/11 2:18 am - CO
You need to call your surgeon.  This is definitely not typical.  Don't get too alarmed until you talk to the doctor, but definitely this is not typical experience.

Phyllis C.
on 1/12/11 2:19 am

No, it is not normal.  You need to go to your surgeon, ASAP.  It could be nothing, but it needs to be checked out.

Phyllis
"Me agreeing with you doesn't preclude you from being a deviant."

Tiff tells all
on 1/12/11 2:21 am - Ewa Beach, HI
RNY on 05/21/19
Call the MD and let us know.  I was definitely uncomfortable but I was so loaded up on pain meds I'm not sure I was registering pain appropriately. I was happy to stay that way for a few days.

When I used my stomach muscles, it felt like I had used them to do 1000 crunches for the first time ever. They hurt!   I also had some gas pressure in my shoulders. It was really uncomfortable but not terribly painful.

Tiff

Current MD- Dr. Mikami, Honolulu Hawaii

Lapband 14cc AP Lg in 2008- slipped and removed 2016 -VSG July 21, 2016-dx Gerd

** RNY Revision 05/21/2019 **

"A few drops of hope can water and nourish our garden" - Jean M

(deactivated member)
on 1/12/11 2:26 am - ~Somewhere in~, PA

If the pain is unbearable you may want to contact your surgeons office to be on the safe side, but I do remember having pains in my shoulders and back, and that IS normal and indicates your surgeons sewed and stitched your band in place and it will be sore for a about 3-6 weeks,  I applied a heat pad and tool liquid Tylenol.

Bette B.
on 1/12/11 2:30 am
 To me, it sounds like you are still full of the gas they use to inflate your abdomen, and it may take a week to go away. Move around as much as you can; that will help.

But it NEVER hurts to call you doc, just to make sure that it's NOT out of the ordinary. That's what he/she is there for. 

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

JoMixx
on 1/12/11 3:18 am - West Yarmouth, MA

Hi I had mine a week ago thursday.  I had/have the same sensation.  My MD repaired a hernia at the same time.  But I think the pain is air bubbles.  It gets real acute at times.  Earlier today I was experiencing that pain again but my daughter made me laugh which pushed up a giant burp!  I had instant relief!  Only problem is it made me laugh more which hurt the incisions.

Have you tried moving around or using gas-x?

PS I agree - if in doubt call your doc!

Surgery 1/6/11 , 14ml band - 0ml fill      
cpc
on 1/12/11 4:01 am - NJ
 check with your Dr. I might just be Gas.
Laurena
on 1/12/11 7:31 am - Louisville, KY
Thank you all for your support ,I feel a little better tonight.I think it might be gas,hopefully that is all it is .If it stays that way tomorrow too then I will call the Dr.

Kate -True Brit
on 1/12/11 8:05 am - UK

Probably gas! But when in doubt, phone the doc!  Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Most Active