Some tips?

BandMeUp
on 1/12/11 11:29 pm - PA
Hey Everyone.

I cant express how much I love this site! I say this because I am a closeted-WLS'er meaning only my two best friends and about 2 relatives know my plan to have surgery. None of these people are overweight so they really cant understand where Im coming from but they are a great support team. Anyway....My surgery is scheduled for 2/7/2011. I am trying to find the best protein shakes for after surgery, considering on doing the monster milk light powder thing bc I love the shakes. any others? also did anyone purchase special appliances. I know I will need a blender but a food processer?juicer? or is there an appliance out there that can kill two or three birds with one stone? And finally I know this will vary but did anyone do any preventative steps to avoid excess skin. Im 24 years old, my doc stays thats on my side. This is a major concern for me. Toning excercises? creams? anything? well I hope I get some responses...Thanks Guys
Cant wait to meet the "New Me"  
Highest Weight  : 274lbs
Weight At Surgery: 264lbs

coachgrrl
on 1/12/11 11:58 pm
 Let's see.

I liked the pure protein ready made shakes for convienence .  I liked click protein powder both vanilla latte and mocha flavors.  theworldaccordingtoeggface.com has some great recipes for shakes, soft/mushies and beyond.  I have a small personal blender similiar to a magic bullet I use frequently and would recommend.  Also trader joe's soups ( esp roasted red pepper/tomato and cuban black bean) with some unjury unflavored protein were awesome post-op.

Welcome...most importantly read the board, avoid the surgery wars and good luck! 

hedgehogdude
on 1/13/11 12:09 am - CO
 Highly recommend the Ninja Master Prep.  It has bases that can serve both as a small blender and a small food processor.

http://www.amazon.com/Euro-Pro-Ninja-Master-Blender-Processo r/dp/B002JM2V9K/ref=pd_sim_dbs_k_4

We also have the full-size Ninja blender, and it works great too, but the small one was very convenient during the soft/pureed foods phase.

hedgehogdude
on 1/13/11 12:11 am, edited 1/13/11 12:12 am - CO
Oh and there's really nothing you can do about excess skin.  Increasing muscle mass and toning may help smooth things out a bit, but ultimately it depends on age, genetics, etc.  Being younger you definitely are in a better position than most of the rest of us.  But any cream, supplement, etc. claiming to minimize excess skin is just snake oil.

kathkeb
on 1/13/11 3:23 am
I bought a variety of protein options

Isopure clean liquids (the grape was tolerable)
Muscle Milk and Muscle Milk light
Unjury -- bought the sample packs first and decided to buy a canister of 'unflavored', and one of chocolate and some chicken soup

I also made Chicken Noodle Soup (strained) and added the unflavored protein to it (along with a little bit of hot sauce).
I added the unflavored to pudding mix also --- it came in very handy

I bought one of those Magic Bullet things ---

There is really nothing you can do to prevent excess skin --- your body has had to produce excess skin to cover up excess body mass ---
While your age is on your side, it has alot more to do with genetics and how much skin there is.
If you are 75 pounds overweight, you will have less skin than if you are 150 pounds overweight.

You can exercise -- but that only tones the muscles under the skin -- if you have too much skin, you have too much skin.  Start saving for plastic surgery!!

Good luck!
Kath

BandMeUp
on 1/13/11 8:50 pm - PA
Thanks guys, I am checking out some of those websites now. I really appreciate the input. I welcome any suggestions!!
Most Active