Carb Help...

boricuanessa
on 1/13/11 1:48 am
I finally feel at a comfortable spot as far as my daily intake of protein, fat and calories go, but I am never sure exactly where I should be as far as carbs. I have read everywhere from 130 to under 50 grams a day. So my question to everyone is what is your daily carb intake based on your diet?
grannymedic1
on 1/13/11 2:10 am - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12
Carb counts are individual. If you are carb sensitive then lower is better to control cravings. What I do is to at times drop mine to around 50 or so but mostly I just eat protein, veggies, whole grains, with plenty of beans, and some fruit. Some of those things make a carb count look horrible yet they are all good quality foods in our diets. It is the refined carbs that I really watch for. Those are the ones that trigger my cravings. The rest of the time I eat in a way that is comfortable.

When I was actively losing weight I didn't include many fruits and no whole grains except for rarely but that was just me. To those who aren't particularly carb sensitive there is no need to do anything but eat a good varied diet. If you have PCOS or metabolic disorder or find yourself barely losing though eating all good things in the right amounts you may have to go lower carb.

This is just about as clear as mud, but I hope it answers some of your question.
Sue

Highest weight: 212.8 Current weight 135 Lost 77.8 pounds

boricuanessa
on 1/13/11 2:15 am
Thanks for your response. That's exactly my issue. I find myself avoiding fruits because I don't want to exceed my carb count and I think to myself "that just doesn't make sense". So I thought I would ask everyeone what works for them. Thanks again for the info.
steelerfan1
on 1/13/11 2:16 am
Hi there ,

Well you will get alot of different answers on this one everybody is different.  I don't eliminate carbs out of my life.  I don't do that with sugar either.  I do not go out of my way to eat sugar but I don't avoid it either. 

My NUT told me to stay around 65 grams of carbs a day :o)  Usually I hit around 30-40 a day.

I will eat a carb at breakfast like toast but its low carb bread , then no carbs at lunch then I will eat carbs at dinner :o)

Some will say they dont eat nothing with white flour , breads anything white but that just isnt me .
when I first came into this site and asked questions one vet told me its all about moderation not deprivation and that is what I do  and I love that saying :o)

It all depends on you really . some say they cant eat carbs at all because they will go on a eating binge but that isn't me I can keep my carbs in check as with my sweets as long as it isnt that time of the month then its a whole different story lol.

Quit Smoking
10/8/10
Starting BMI  52.9  BMI now  44.4        updated  6/6/11

Hermosa L
on 1/13/11 2:54 am
it does really depend... I exercise and so I try to keep mine at about where I want to weight 160 or 140 a day because carbs helps fuel my workout but I'm lifting two days/three days a week ..

mine come from, 1/2 a banana, or beans, or whole grain, or oatmeal, milk or almond milk,  high fiber cereal - 1 serving has like 40 grams but 7 grams of fiber.. and it keeps me full

But when I'm not exercising I try to keep them lower .. I guess it's a gamble either way .. I guess just focus on what your eating.. if you eat a protein, fruit or veggies, then a bite or two of carb you will easily stay under 100.
MARIA F.
on 1/13/11 2:55 am - Athens, GA

Like Granny said, it's very individual. I don't get fanatical over carbs, I just try to do "lower" carb.

There are a few ppl on OH that are really into the carb thing and would be a good source to ask, Patty on here (new2atl or nj2atl I think it is) and on the main forum multiplepetmom or wackadoodle.

FormerlyFluffy.com

NY2ATL *
on 1/13/11 9:48 am, edited 1/13/11 9:48 am

To lose weight I kept my carbs around 20 a day..now that I'm at goal I'm around 70-80 to maintain my weight..
If I eat too many carbs, particularly sugar..I gain at an alarming rate, and have unbearable cravings and hunger..
Low Carb is how I live!

For Low Carb Recipes:
www.obesityhelp.com/group/LCRECIPES/discussion/  

WASaBubbleButt
on 1/13/11 1:33 pm - Mexico
It really depends on if you are carb sensitive. Many believe we get fat from dietary fat but truth is, our population typically gets fat from WHITE carbs... flour and sugar. Just cut out flour, sugar, and high carb fruits and you should be good to go!

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
Most Active