HELP!!! Lap Band OR Sleeve ?!?! Pros & Cons Welcome!! Please!!

EBrady09
on 1/12/11 3:53 pm
I personally know ONE person who has gotten the lap band done. He said that if he could go back he would have gotten the sleeve. I just researched the sleeve, seems interesting but the internet can go both ways, I was curious what ya'lls personal interests and thoughts were.

thanks bunches..

E
Kate -True Brit
on 1/12/11 11:20 pm - UK

This will almost certainly start yet another surgery war! So be prepared. Those who love their bands, love their bands. Those who had problems, hate their bands and are not shy about saying so.

After almost 5 years, i am still in the love-my-band category.

Go back over old threads. the most recent is on this page and has a title something like "why do people hate the band?" - something like that.

Then look for titles clearly asking the same Q you are asking. You will find many, many repsonses! Some measured and sensible, some rabid and vicious! Use your common sense to decide which to listen to! But take note of both - no surgery is perfect, whatever its proponents will tell you.

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Ms Shell
on 1/13/11 1:46 am - Hawthorne, CA

While I never got the band I will tell you about my story.  I was always fat upwards to 345 in my 20's, 325 when I started researching WLS in 2006 when my mom died.  I actually saw a LapBand commercial (the greatest ad campaign I have EVER seen).  I was never ever going to get the RnY because of the fact they have a hole at the bottom of your stomach (stoma) that basically just dumps the food you eat into your intestine (where the term dumping comes from).  I have seen COUNTLESS people in my personal life and read who CAN have complication etc.  Please note that I say CAN because it's not guaranteed that anyone WILL have complication x, y or z, but they can.  Ok so I'm researching the all mighty LapBand (and that's how I felt) I needed a surgery that would HELP me the most, and I believe that I needed a surgery that would keep my stomach as a normal stomach.  Where the stomach acid helps digest and mix up my food, where my pyloric valve once the stomach was done doing it's job would open and let my food continue on the digestion road.  I wanted a surgery that would REDUCE the amount of food I could at at any one given time.

So research I did.  Now I saw the website where there is a (and I think back then in 2006 there was like a 50-60%) complication rate and you MIGHT not lose ALL your we ight but I also believe that given the right mental aspect of this surgery coupled with the restriction you can do almost anything so I kept on researching.  I came to OH thanks to a friend and well what I saw here made me nervous.  Instead of some arbitrary number on a website about complications I was seeing ACTUAL living breathing people with the LapBand who WERE having complications, some minor others not.  So I in total research mode started a pros/cons list.  I had page after page of "possible" complications with the Band and of course RIGHT next to it I had the "words/advice" of those who loved the band saying oh if you do this or do that you will NEVER suffer from these complications.  In my research I am ALREADY forcasting that I WAS going to be the PERFECT bandster.  Like someone already said I was aiming to be ONE of the LUCKY ones.  The more I researched the MORE I found people who were banded in like 05/06 with these complications and they were CLAIMING to have been "perfect" bandsters.  But STILL I did not want the RnY because of the false stomach, nor the DS because I just do not consume that much fat and I had NO medical issues.  THEN boom bam thank you Jesus a young lady on the LapBand forum asked Dr. Curry about the VSG and that her insurance (just happened to be MY insurance) suggested she get that instead of the Band.

WHAT you say girl.  There is a surgery out there called the Sleeve...what is this...tell me more.  Well you guessed it I started researching the Sleeve and OMG it "appeared" to have EVERYTHING that I wanted....normal stomach, food restriction and to boot there was a CHANCE that I would wake up from surgery and NOT be hungry because it removed over 1/2 your stomach and the hormone called Ghrelin.  Well tell me more all mighty Sleeve.  I then simultaneously was researching the Sleeve but not taking my foot all the way out the band camp.  I wanted to know EVERYTHING I could about the sleeve.  After all I was willing to say GOODBYE ADIOS to over 1/2 my stomach (NOT that my stomach ever did anything for me, I still am VERY fond of ALL my body parts).  I took my research AWAY from the WLS forums and researched Full/Partial Gastrectomies as done on people who have stomach cancers and ulcers which has been done for over 30 years or more.  I read about peoples LIVES after having a partial gastrectomy, What LONG term vitamins "may" be needed.  How they just eat way smaller portions then before.  How yes they would lose weight.  How yes they weren't really hungry.  How yes you could even live a full and productive LIFE even without ANY stomach.  How a family who had a history of stomach cancer voluntarily had their stomachs REMOVED as a preventative measure.  How people were LIVING life YEARS after their gastrectomies with virtually the same restriction and the "bonus" of weight loss.

Now the whole time I still had my pro/con list.  The Band one was LONG and extensive on the "possible" complications, slips, erosions, esophagal dialation, adhesions for IF the band had to be removed all the risks involved in removal.  The VSG after researching had a few questions/comments.  What size bougie would the surgeon be using?  How does the surgeon check for leaks?  After surgery I did research to KNOW if I did have a leak what SHOULD I be looking for in those weeks after surgery?  How long does it take the stomach to fully heal over the sutures/staples?  That was IT.

I was fortunate that my insurance DID cover the sleeve back in 2007.  Blessed if you will because back then Insurance companies weren't.  I don't know what I would have done in 2007 once I KNEW about the VSG, if my insurance would only cover the RnY or the Band.  To be honest I don't like the GAMBLE of either of those surgeries to NOT be one of the "lucky" ones.  For the VSG I took a gamble that I might still be hungry.  I did take a gamble that hey you could have a leak but as of yet I have not seen a VSGer die purely from a leak.

My reality after my VSG.  I woke up from surgery with INSTANT restriction.  I have been blessed with NO physical hunger.  I am almost 3 years out, still not hungry and still with restriction.  I have lost over 100lbs.  I COULD have gone lower then my current 192 and I'm working out it, but at 1 1/2 years out, I decided a little carbs here and there won't hurt, well they do and depending on YOUR body...well **** I'll say CARBS are the DEVIL.  I am referring to PROCESSED carbs, not fruit but yes fruit for some can be "danger Will Robinson danger."

I wish you well on your decision.

Ms Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

(deactivated member)
on 1/13/11 8:01 am
I'm surprised there haven't been more replies to your post.

I'm a bandster who is in process of getting a revision to DS. I'm not going to knock the band or those who have band surgery. I lost weight with the band until I started experiencing complications. Those complications are what prompted my revision.

All of that being said here are a few things to think about with the band.

1. Everyone talks about the band being adjustable. Yes it is adjustable but that means several things like you'll need to diet until you get to the "sweet spot". If you can't handle the diet aspect then life is going to be rough. This also means that you - yes you - have to maintain your fill/adjustments.

2. You haven't mentioned if you are self-pay or if insurance is covering your WLS. Many insurance companies are putting in a clause of once a lifetime WLS. If you get the band you may have to fight insurance to get a revision (if needed). If you change jobs you have to stay on top of what's covered. If you change jobs and your new insurance doesn't cover anything weight loss surgery related then those adjustments that sounded so great are now coming out of your pocket.

3. Does your insurance cover the sleeve? Some consider it investigational as a standalone procedure. Yes some have been able to get their insurance to cover the cost. Always take a look over your insurance policy so you know what their stance is.

4. Have you looked at other surgeries? RNY? DS? Are you seeking something purely restrictive? Or?

There are several options out there for WLS any you'll hear the good, the bad and the ugly about each one. 

Good luck in your search!
Noel
adorkbl
on 1/13/11 8:31 am, edited 1/13/11 8:32 am
If I had to make the decision today again, would I get banded? NO... I would get VSG.

*I am not entirely fond of having a finicky pouch. Tight in the mornings, looser in the evenings.
*I have a port leak which needs to be repaired... more $$ for this self payer
*I have had issues with chest pain/pressure. Most recently in Dec I was unable to keep protein
shakes down without vomitting. They could not find any medical reason why.
*I have had 18 fills, and 4 unfills in 3 years. (self pay... that adds up quickly!) Not entirely fond of
all the aftercare required.

With that said. I have a band. I am repairing a leaky port on Monday because honestly, I can't afford to self pay another surgery.

I got the band because I didn't want to alter my anatomy. I had NO serious health issues other than PCOS & sleep apnea. I felt the band was the least invasive. I guess I have learned over time.. there is no such thing as "least invasive" when it comes to WLS.

My suggestion is to spend A LOT of time researching on VARIOUS boards. Talk to your surgeon. Every situation is sooo very different. And what may work for one, may not work for another. Depends on the amount of weight you want to lose, co-morbitites, and the type of overeating you are doing. (binge, sweets, volume, etc.)

Good luck with your decision.

Posted Image

01|17|08 lap band   08|12|08
gallbladder  
01|17|11 port replacement
            07|09|12 hiatal hernia repair & band repositioning

Lynn C
on 1/13/11 8:35 am
at the risk of being a "band basher" the band has the worst stats. Lowest overall weight loss, highest regain, most long term complications and 75% re-operation rate. I've posted the stats on several threads today - the short version: http://lapbandtovsg.blogspot.com/p/studies.html

There are other options that provide what the band promises - good luck!

Lynn C ~
Banded 9/12/2005 ~ Revision to VSG on 9/7/2010 ~ Losing again with a Keto lifestyle

WASaBubbleButt
on 1/13/11 1:41 pm - Mexico
If I could go back in time, I would have gotten the sleeve the first time around.

Banding provides the slowest weight loss, the least weight loss, the highest regain, and the most mechanical complications.

According to the band makers, 25% have their band removed in the first five years (I think that is a low stat, I believe it is higher) and another 25% need a 2nd surgery to fix a mechanical problem with the band.

I'd go with the sleeve, it is soooooo much easier to live with. I've had both, I know. ;o)

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
Most Active