Lap-Band slip, advice from anyone who has been there...

WASaBubbleButt
on 1/21/11 2:01 am - Mexico
MOST slips are fixed with a complete unfill. Most docs seem to put people on liquids for a few weeks while the slip is resolving.

But keep in mind, once you slip once you stand a greater chance of slipping again in the future.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
tripmom02
on 1/24/11 3:09 am - NJ
Thanks! The more I read the more I think I am going to opt for a revision no matter what, I just can't imagin going though this again.

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

Phyllis C.
on 1/21/11 2:39 am
Hi Trip Mom!!

I just wanted to say hello.  I had a tiny slip, but I had to revise to the sleeve.  I could never get the band to work right for me.

Good luck and I hope it can be resolved without surgery.

Phyllis
"Me agreeing with you doesn't preclude you from being a deviant."

tripmom02
on 1/24/11 3:20 am - NJ
Hey Phyllis! My band has worked great when I had a proper fill, which I haven't had in over a year b/c of the baby. This all just came as such a shock.

I am thinking that I pretty much want to push for a revision to the sleeve, I have been reading so much about how likely it is that I will slip again (especially since it looks like this is a pretty big slip!). I just can't imagin having to go though this again.

Do you mind if I ask how the sleeve has worked for you? Do you have any regrets, any things that you wish you had known before surgery? I know those are totally loaded questions, but I trust your input on this one having been here and done that!

Thanks!

kpolus
on 1/21/11 5:19 am
Hello - I had a minor slip August of 2009 - it was corrected with an unfil and then slow refills... Then out of the blue I had a major band slip May 2010 and I couldn't keep anything down for days. I went in and was very dehydrated - I went for an Upper GI and they found out that is what was causing me so much discomfort and heartburn and etc....my stomach was flipped very bad over my band and was kind of melding itself to the bottom part of my stomach... not good!  I went in for surgery supposed to take 45 minutes took 3.5 hours! Scary! I had my old band removed and a new one in place! I have since not met optimal restriction but am working on not gaining any more weight (I gained 30lbs since my replacement surgery) I need to go in for another fill but I am currently working hard on just eating better and exercising more and dealing with a few other personal problems then I will go in and get more of a fill..
Good luck
tripmom02
on 1/24/11 3:26 am - NJ
Thank you for sharing your story, it sounds much like what is happing to me. This is pretty much out of the blue (only I had no discomfort or heartburn or anything beyond the original pain when I am pretty sure the slip happend), and it looks like a pretty big slip with a large part of my stomach herniated though the top of the band.

Can I ask you why you choose to have another band placed instead of revising to a different surgery? I am just trying to understand it from all positions before I make a decision and it sounds like you and I are pretty much in the same boat.

MARIA F.
on 1/21/11 6:26 am - Athens, GA

Slips seem to be very common. Do u think a  revision might be a better alternative for u?

FormerlyFluffy.com

tripmom02
on 1/24/11 3:27 am - NJ
I am considering a revision, just not sure about it all right now. I have a very small son and I would like to avoid surgery for as long as possible if I can, but I also am afraid that a complete unfill will have me gaining all my weight back.

It's all so frustrating and overwhelming.

MARIA F.
on 1/25/11 3:17 am - Athens, GA
Yes it's very frustrating! :-( I understand u wanting to wait for a revision, but please keep in mind that more and more insurance companies have started a "one WLS per lifetime" stipulation. I would hate to see u wait if it would be covered for you now............n then have u find out that your insurace company had started that also. Timing is everything.

FormerlyFluffy.com

Most Active