Dread Seeing the Surgeon

bridget1970
on 3/28/11 8:09 am - Los Angeles, CA
VSG on 08/28/17

Got banded March 2010. I have only lost about 35lbs since then.  Right before Thanksgiving 2010 I went to see the surgeon for a fill and left his office feeling kind of bad because he seemed to have this dissapointed tone to his voice because he feels I should have lost so much more than I have.  Since that fill, I have been in a plateau despite increasing my exercize.  I feel like I have to brace myself for his being disappointed in my lack of weight loss again when I go in for another fill this coming Thursday.  I feel like I want to tell him to fill me so that it is comfortable to eat.  I've got to figure out a way to get this weight loss jump started again.

psychomom
on 3/28/11 9:02 am - China Grove, NC
I don't know how many fills total you have had but it seems like you need to work with your DR on getting better restriction. I was banded in may of 10 and still go in once a month to see my Dr and routinely get fills when needed.That might be all you need is to get a good fill  or two to get the weight loss started. Good luck Thursday :) Look at it as a new start with a new fill !

karianne
on 3/28/11 9:42 am - Marlborough, MA
Revision on 04/05/12
Have you been going in every 4-6 weeks for fills or at least "check ins".  I remember my first 2 yrs I was religious about not only seeing my surgeon but I did see my nutritionist every 6 weeks also (all through the extensive program at Lahey Clinic).  My surgeon wanted me to be successful I feel as much as I wanted it for myself.  It sounds like your surgeon wants to see you succeed also.  Perhaps going in and just talking to him and making sure you have proper restriction-after all what's the point of the band if you don't have restriction.  It took me 5 fills to get my perfect restriction (2.4 in a 4cc band). 

Please don't get discouraged!  You can do this!  Switch up your exercise don't let your body get used to your workout.  Mix up the number of calories you are eating.  Can you give us a sample of a typical day of what foods you are eating-perhaps we can help.  You maybe eating too many calories or perhaps to little??  I really encourage you to call and just talk to your surgeon!  Good luck, Karianne

HW-244, SW-234, CW-207
4/8/04 Lap-band-Goal weight for 5 yrs, Tummy Tuck 6/23/08
Lap-band Leak 4/2011, Revision to Gastric Bypass 4/5/12

Kate -True Brit
on 3/28/11 10:38 am - UK

"I feel like I want to tell him to fill me so that it is comfortable to eat."

Isn't it comfortable now? Do you mean you are tight and so eating is not comfortable? Being too tight does not necessarily lead to good loss as it is too easy to resort to slider foods which are often high cal and don't keep us feeling full. Or do you mean you want him to make restriction greater?

Fills are key to success. If you don't feel restricition, then you need to work with your doc. He shoudlnt' be disappointed in you - he should be helping you!

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Terri C.
on 3/28/11 11:31 pm - McDonough, GA
Definitely - go back to your doctor and be honest with him about where you are.  I recently went back to my dr. after staying away for about 10 months.  I had gained 15 pounds and was actually encouraged by that office visit!  I was told that I had quit getting fills before I had gotten proper restriction.  I got a fill that day, got the restriction I needed, and the scale is now moving in a downward direction again.  Definitely go back!!!!   The dr. wants to help you and see you succeed!!!   Good luck!!!! 

Terri   

Most Active